• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Learning Assembly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It might just be me, but I seem to be finding a lot of book previews, dead end tutorials, and more prewritten code...Also, alot of them seem to just explain what binary code is, and then jump right in to very heavy code...Anything that you guys can recommend? I'll keep googling...

I would recommend going to Intel's site and downloading the reference manuals if you have an intel chip, or go to AMD's site and check if they have a reference. and check out that tutorial link I gave earlier, it not only goes through assembly,but the first 4 chapters take a look at x86 architecture so that when you do program, you will have a better chance of programming efficient and speedy code.

Quantum Clocker said:
It might just be me, but I seem to be finding a lot of book previews, dead end tutorials, and more prewritten code...Also, alot of them seem to just explain what binary code is, and then jump right in to very heavy code...Anything that you guys can recommend? I'll keep googling...

i gave you a site that has a whole course on programming with assembly and what happens on the machine level. and how the parts of the hardware talk to each other so it is relevant. The first part to assembly is what happens on the binary level. assembly language is essentially just a step up from the 1's and 0's which is why they explain it. the site i gave you eases into the code and it has a manual with examples. assembly itself can be "heavy code" but thats what you get. a bunch of
MOVE R1,R3
LOAD R2,R5
and etc to do what you can do in a statement in C or C++ so it has its plusses and minuses and you will find that when you get into it. Other than that the books you get are essentially a huge book on the architecture of whatever piece of hardware you are wanting to program on and a swift kick in the *** and told to learn. Assembly isn't like learning C or C++ its dependent on the hardware, the compiler, the size of the memory locations and the access you have to them which tells you how much space you have to do your operations. have fun! :D

Remember that efficient code isn't really necessary if you only have to run it a couple of times. If you're investing the considerable extra time and effort to write out some assembly code, make sure that you'll see an obvious benefit from it.

Back