• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Let the 780 Ti Planning Begin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MattMan657

Alright! So a week or two I picked up a pair of 780 Ti Classifieds and I want to get them on water once the tax man comes back on that annual positive note.

My current setup is a Swiftech Apogee Drive II which is a block and pump combo. The integrated pump is a MCP35X. The current res is a Swiftech MCR-320QP with integrated reservoir mounted on the top of my HAF 932. Both of these components will still be used with the end result of the final loop.

However, as we know the sole radiator is not enough for both GPUs. Here is where the first question comes into play. I want to mount another triple rad externally using a Koolance rear mount. I'm thinking about the Alphacool UT60. That plus the Swiftech should be sufficient for the three blocks. My first question is, do you think an MCP35X has enough muscle for the following...

Swiftech MCR-320QP w/ Integrated Res
Apogee Drive II Block (this is the block and pump combo)
2x EK 780 Ti Classy Watereblocks
Alphacool UT60 Triple Radiator
Angled Fittings in various places (need to map this out further)
Quick Disconnects in various places (need to map this out further)

Also keep in mind that there will need to be a decent amount of tubing to reach the externally mounted radiator from the bottom area of the case. It would run from the bottom GPU up the side of the case out the rear holes into the top ports of the radiator which will be mounted so the top ports are close to the top of the case.

Now second question which I'm pretty certain I already know the answer too. Do you think, and my guess is the answer will be no, that my current integrated res will be enough for the components above?

If both of those answers are No, than I would most likely purchase another MCP35X and Res combo. I would then wire the second motor to the same PWM header as my Apogee Drive II so they would run at the same levels to keep things even.

As you can tell I am in the very early stages of planning and have no intention of rushing this. Planning is key as we know.

Thanks in advance,
Matt :attn:

You should be good all around. That pump shouldn't have a problem pushing all of that either.

The 35x is a very strong pump....no problem for what you have. As for the res, I would recommend picking up another one and placing it directly before the pump intake.

Dual pumps are nice and they ensure your system will always be running!

I wasn't overly concerned about the pump, its the res that worries me most. With my current setup, as the radiator is an integrated rad/res which is mounted on the top, the res is directly before the pump already. So I'm OK there.

If I were to get another reservoir I don't think I'd need a very big one as it would be in addition to the integrated. Maybe the Swiftech Micro or something.

You could grab a micro reservoir or a dual bay, its your choice before the pump. Those built-in reservoirs on the radiators me thinks are a pain in the wazoo to bleed when it comes time or filling in general, depending on location.

Only reason why I dont want to go with a dual bay is because I'm trying to keep my loop to not stretch all the way from the rear of the case to the front bays. What I would most likely do is place the micro res after the GPUs since the integrated res is already above the pump.

The bleeding actually isn't that bad for my particular setup. Basically what I did was, for filling and bleeding, I drilled a hole in the front top of my HAF 932 in the center of the area where they have the standard fill port. The top port of the radiator has a compression fitting and tubing sticking out of it with a seal. It looks like a chimney sticking out of the case. It made bleeding and filling an absolute breeze. Picture below.

attachment.php

Here is my currently envisioned layout and flow.

1. Starts at top radiator w/ integrated reservoir
2. Flows into block/pump combo. Water fed by reservoir above it
3. Flows into GPU block 1
4. Flows into GPU block 2 via Serial
5. Flows into bottom side port of microres from bottom of GPU block 2
6. From top of microres, tubing moves through top rear hole of case into rear mounted triple rad
7. From rear triple rad, tubing moves through other hole into first tip radiator w/ integrated reservoir.

Thoughts? What I like about this is that it is a relatively clean layout. No tubing going into the front of the case or very bottom. The only long length of tubing would be from the top of the Micro Res to the rear radiator.

From here I need to think about drain ports, any angled fittings that may be needed, and any quick disconnects that may be needed.

Attachments

• Main Hardware Layout.jpg
    Main Hardware Layout.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 112
Nice diagram. From the looks of it you don't even need that micro reservoir as the top radiator with the fill port plays as a reservoir if you will feeding to the pump. With this flow layout it shouldn't be an issue with bleeding either. I would possibly either use a T-line or a QDC at the bottom GPU and have the line continue to the rear rad. If a QDC is chosen you'll need to buy another set so you're able to use it on the existing ones in the loop to drain. Also, with this flow since CPU's are more sensitive to heat more than GPU's you should get pretty good temps. Usually from my experience when I have the GPU's feeding to the CPU, the CPU temps go up a few vs. the other way around. Other than that you look set.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Good to know about not needing the micro res. My only question here, and perhaps I am just over thinking this (better to over think than under), is would there ever be a reason why I would want that additional water surplus, as the micro res would allow me to store more, in the system?

My thoughts exactly on the position of the drain area. What would you recommend between a T-Line or QDCs? Something I do not want is a single ended tube sitting in the system. If I went with a T-Line, I would want a valve on/off on the drain end. During normal operation the valve would be shut and there would be a plug for extra protection. For drainage I would take a piece of tubing with a barb on it, remove the plug from the on/off, screw in the tubing w/ barb, and open the valve. Here are the parts I was envisioning.
T Adapter
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...MB.html?tl=g30c499s745&id=DkXIbshF&mv_pc=4205
On/Off Valve
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...lack_BP-MVV-MBKBK.html?id=DkXIbshF&mv_pc=3511
Stop Plug
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...09.html?tl=g30c101s743&id=DkXIbshF&mv_pc=4475

Yea I definitely want to have CPU before GPUs. Mainly because of temps as you say, but also because it is less restrictive moving downward through the three blocks than upwards. CPU > GPU > GPU will most likely be the most restrictive portion of the loop.

It won't matter which way you go up or down as long as you got a premium pump, as you obviously do (MCP-35x).

You won't get lower temps having more liquid in the system. Only way to lower temps mainly is heat surface, 1.0GPM-1.5GPM flow range, good static pressure fans on the rads as well as good block seating and of course a good ambient temp as well as good air flow to the rads.

As for the drainage, if you want a cleaner look you could go with a QDC and have another set on the side once you're ready to use the Male/Female to drain the ones used in the loop as I always have or something like this and a few extra plugs depending which way you want to configure it as its changeable all around.

You know, I think you're right. Not just because its a cleaner look, but because I don't like the idea of having all that extra stuff hanging off of my GPU.

What kind of QDCs do you use? Bitspowers and Koolances seem to look the best. *EDIT* Just saw in your sig, Koolance QDC VLN4. Those are the extreme flows. I want that.

I'm also thinking about getting QDCs for the rear radiator so if in the event I need to remove it as its external I can easily. I'd get some with a G1/4 male thread so I could mount them right to the rad.

Last edited:
You can. The ones I use are Koolance. They've been around for a long time with their QDCs. I have like 5+ sets of them. They are the older generation. They have newer ones now if you're interested. Take a look here. The Koolance QD2, QD3 and QD4 are their newer designs. I am not sure what the difference is between the 2 but my guess is the bulkiness. QD4's are thicker than QD3s, I think. I use the VL4N which seem bulkier than their VL3N counterpart from what I've seen in images and heard of so thats why I think the same goes for the newer design. If I would have known I would have went with the VL3N at the time.

From the Koolance QDC guide pdf on Frozen it looks like the VN4N series have a higher flow rate.

Thats good to know the QD series are the newer designs. I'm gonna check those out.

From the Koolance QDC guide pdf on Frozen it looks like the VN4N series have a higher flow rate.

Thats good to know the QD series are the newer designs. I'm gonna check those out.

Yeah I forgot about that. lol Hense the bulkier size. I believe that was the reason why I went with those to begin with.

Well I think the last bit of planning will be figuring out the exact fittings I will be using. Good stuff. Here is what I know I'll be using...

--There will be a 90 degree Bitspower fitting on the top rad angled toward the rear rad. This way there will be a very short tube run from the rear rad to the top.
--There will be an angled Bitspower fitting on the other port on the top rad angled toward the CPU block inlet. This will reduce tube length.
--There may or may not be an angled Bitspower fitting on the top GPU angled toward the CPU block outlet. I will be ordering one just to have if it is needed. If not, it will be a normal compression fitting.
--There will also be a snake like fitting from the bottom GPU angled upwards. This will lead into the Koolance QDC for draining. After the QDC linkage, the tubing will run through the top rear of the case to the rear rad.
--On the rear rad, there will be two other QDCs with G1/4 male threads, mounted directly to the radiator. As it is an externally mounted radiator, this will allow me to remove it with ease if need be.

Now here is a question. At what point do angled fittings reduce flow rate? Or is this not even a concern?

Also... SLI bridge. This is something I haven't looked into at all. Are there any that are generally accepted to be the go to's?

With a good pump you shouldn't have an issue. I am using 4 angle fittings but I am using 2 MCP-35x @ 40% power as one. The rest are compression. Make sure you get the bitspower rotary fittings for it all, angled or not. They are the best ones to use compared to their older non rotary fittings. More flexibility with the rotaries.

As for the bridge, it depends what blocks you have for compatibility purposes. Looking at your list you say you have EK WBs on the GPUs. Get the EK bridge for them. Just make sure you get the right one for the amount of spacing between them.

Sounds good. I'll stick with the rotaries. And yes, gotta go with EK as they are the only ones, other than Swiftech, who make blocks for the 780/780 Ti/Kingpin cards.

Tomorrow I'm going to try and figure out exactly what fittings I'm gonna get. Thanks again for the words of wisdom.

Sounds good. I'll stick with the rotaries. And yes, gotta go with EK as they are the only ones, other than Swiftech, who make blocks for the 780/780 Ti/Kingpin cards.

Are you saying you haven't bought the blocks yet? There are other companies who make WBs other than the 2 you just posted. Take a look here. (I went to get you the link on Frozencpu and ended up with a $160+ bill along with a 500GB SSD. lol :bang head)

Oh sorry. Didn't see that. You're right its usually only Swiftech but EK got in on it this time around.

Back