• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Letters on XP-M may be important??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
fresh prince said:
What steppings are in newegg now?? Does anyone know??

I am going to buy M-2500 and I don't want to get TPMW:)

If I buy 5 processors, will I get them with the same stepping?? or maybe they are random?

just buy one from excalibur, then youll know what your getting.

I think you guys are gonna have to toss the theory of the TPMW being a bad OC'er, cuz I've got one. ;) It outdoes or matches every mobile Barton I've seen in my life. Maybe its just a sign of how much better the A64's will get?

The problem is that all these letter codes come so close to one another that its very hard do draw conclusions. Just because one given processor can do "only" 2.6GHz with 1.85v, and some other one can do 2.7GHz with the same doesn't necessarily mean that the latter is actually a worse performer. There are so many external factors at play that its very difficult to establish an accurate pattern.

The four letter codes are in turn tied to different five-letter codes, and different week numbers as well. If we could eliminate all other variables by finding two processors with the exact same stock speed, five-letter code, week number, voltage and cooling, and then see how far each could go, then we could get two relatively reliable data points, maybe. I'm almost wishing I bought 3 mobile Bartons instead of this one A64 now to figure all this out. :-/

so your A64 is TPMW, if so, we're talking about mobile bartons here, not A64. Cant compare.

These four letter codes have been around since the beginning of AMD. They must have some universal meaning that can be applied to all of them. The format of the stepping codes of both the A64 and AXP are the same. They obviously follow some sort of standard.

Back