• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LGA 550 + Mobo Q?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ambiguous

Ok, so I just got this new cpu and mobo from this retail program at work its a LGA 550 and an intel mobo, if I keep the chip iam already getting a new mobo I know that but, I was wondering if this chip that I got was anygood stepping wise. I've never had a intel cpu so I dont know about the steppings so is this a good one on the chip it says SL7KM with a package date of 9/15/04. If theres someother info that you need to know about the steppings lemme know cause I dont know how you tell by intel chips. Thanks.

hey Batboy

I got the same retail package, my CPU is SL7J8. The date packaged was 10/11/04. Is this a good chip also? Its a DO stepping. Default cpu is 1.341V. Thanks M

The SL7J8 should be a decent CPU too. However, as with all overclocking, your mileage may vary. My experience is that if the default vcore is low like yours, they will generally be decent overclockers.

Thanks Batboy, I see tou have the AA8XE board. Have you had it long and how do you like it? Does that board have the 1066 fsb? I wonder if I can sell the Intel D19PBL I have, it's a very stable board with little to none overclocking ability. Thanks M

I got the AA8XE a while ago, but had some problems, so I went back to my AG8 for awhile until I got different RAM to try. Just got the AA8XE back up and running yesterday. I'm loving it so far. Yes, it supports 1066 system bus (266 FSB) and better yet, the PCI-E lock seems to really work.

The AG8 would pretty much max out at 250 FSB, but I had the AA8XE benching at 275 FSB stable yesterday.

Also, with my 3.8 on the AG8, my max getting into Windows was a little over 4.4 gig. I never could even boot at 4.5 gig. Now, I was able to get a screenshot at 4.5 gig (on air) with the AA8XE using the same voltages as 4.4 gig with the AG8. I'm going to let the AS5 settle in a few days and maybe do a suicide run for max screenshot.

My only complaint so far is that I'm having memory conflicts with this OCZ PC2-4200 Platinium EB revision 2 RAM that cost big bucks (should of got Crucial like several people recommended). Right now I'm using cheap Samsung PC2-3200 and it's working fine. The Sammy is actually overclocking well. It did 275 FSB at the 1:1 ratio.

Here is 4.5 gig screenie with the AA8XE.

3800-cpuz-4500.JPG

Last edited:
WOW, 275 on cheap samsung 3200, what voltage were you at? I have some corsair xms 3200LL I was lucky to get 220 with 2.8. Thats all I could get on my IS7. Nice screenshot, good luck oc your suicide run. What do you think of the ASUS 915/925 boards? Thanks again, M.
BTW what HSF are you using.

This is DDR2 RAM, remember. I got 275 FSB with 1.9v (default is 1.8v).

I'm really liking this new AA8XE. Wish the OCZ RAM would work.

Back