• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Li-Fi anyone?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Soulcatcher668

Anybody been following this?

Wireless communication through the lights in your house or office at 100 times the speed of Wi-Fi.

The modulation doesn't seem to be visible , but I wonder at the possible effects on people with epilepsy or who suffer migraine headaches. Rapid , visible light modulation definitely affects those two groups. Still , a very interesting proposition.

This seems pretty neat!!!

I believe that is at a much slower frequency for that group, but a good question regardless...

I have no idea at what frequency it happens. My questions come from living with people with diagnosed migraines. They can be devastatingly debilitating. My mother , my ex , and now , unfortunately , my daughter all suffer/suffered them.
Regardless , the tech is fascinating. I wonder if that will open the door for the pirates who provide my electricity to become ISPs? As utilities , they are regulated , and the infrastructure is already in place. Whole new areas of technology would open up melding power production with information delivery. Wow.

I have no idea at what frequency it happens. My questions come from living with people with diagnosed migraines. They can be devastatingly debilitating. My mother , my ex , and now , unfortunately , my daughter all suffer/suffered them.
Regardless , the tech is fascinating. I wonder if that will open the door for the pirates who provide my electricity to become ISPs? As utilities , they are regulated , and the infrastructure is already in place. Whole new areas of technology would open up melding power production with information delivery. Wow.

Not possible as the tech doesn't work that way. The source of light is what provides the network signal, not the power source. It's the same as a WiFi access point, only that it uses light instead of radio waves.

Ahhhhh! I was thinking along the lines of power modulation at the source. In retrospect , that would be a gargantuan undertaking at best. Which makes the technology even better. Focused light can travel great distances with coherence. Real time phone calls to the moon , anyone?

Back