• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux is looking better every day.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Iv'e been running MX (no systemD) for a minute now and it is a rather nice system. I especially like the ability to create a live bootable iso of the running system which I can as well use for reinstalling should I get into a jam. Other than resetting my data drive boot options so it's seen at boot with r/w abilities (it's still ntfs), and my wallpaper options in Variety, the bootable iso IS my backup scheme. It works perfectly too provided you keep a copy of the "Installer" script. The iso itself has persistence so I can conceivably also use it on another system should the need arise. Plus it takes almost no time to create considering the OS has a minimal amount of software.
Hopefully once I'm dual booted maybe the iso can also include the windows part. Don't see why not since it'll be the same drive. That will also preclude worrying about a windows backup scheme which has been a pita forever. Windows backup yeah right. The bootable live iso of a running system is imo, THE perfect backup scheme. To hell with acronis, macrium etc etc. Too much hassles.
I plan on parting my msata so I can put windows on the first part and then put MX back on the second half with grub installed to the windows part for a dual boot setup. I need to do this so I can free up my windows7 tablet from running all the time just to watch TV. I kinda wish I had bought a std ssd evo instead of the msata as the msata cannot be over provisioned using samsung magician. My cyberpower ups kicked the can. I do not want another either. What the hell did I spend $200 on a ups if it simply fails with no warning whatsoever and no indication as to why? It was like half the plugs stopped working and the reset button may as well have been glued in place for all it was ever worth. I don't care if it can be 'fixed' as I do not want another cyberpower surprise. I bought a different make with a 2000vA/1000W capacity for about the same cost. It is much simpler in it's design but still has software to monitor itself and with a 3yr warranty. This has put a hold on getting more stuff for my nas but without a ups, I can't conceivably run the nas 24/7 without a ups first.

Last edited:
Hopefully once I'm dual booted maybe the iso can also include the windows part. Don't see why not since it'll be the same drive.

Not sure Windows will put up with this and here is why: when I changed a spinner for an ssd on my laptop I threw the old spinner in a drawer with Win7 intact and installed a good *nix to the ssd. I later needed a bios update for the laptop (which need Windows). I thought "My how handy that I have a Windows install sitting on a drive that was originally a part of this laptop! I will just plug it in through a USB dock/boot/update BIOS and then go back to enjoying my OS of choice" But the result was not so clean. I couldn't boot from the dock. I had to dismantle the laptop and put the spinner back (note that the ssd booted from the dock of course ) in order to get a boot.

All that being said, I look forward to hearing if/how you get this to work because that would indeed be an excellent and most convenient backup scheme and I would definitely use it.

I just installed partimage which is run from a root terminal and can create or restore zipped images like clonezilla incl. mbr's. This way I could just backup the first part/s (windows) from within MX without having to use a bootable flash as it were. In other words with just the MX bootable image I can back both up separately or individually. MX has LuckBackup but it's more of a data syncer. FreeFileSynce runs in Debian fine for now but really I need to get my nas working and use that for all my backup needs. That is one of the main reasons I bought it. Still waiting on my 6tb ironwolf pro though. Should be here in a couple days.

I have been using Linux for a few years and it does look better. It has no bloat except, of course, Ubuntu.
Old hardware runs fast because of Linux.
No need to buy a license to use it.
All the applications needed to produce stuff out of it are there in ti out-of-the-box.

What else do you need?

Yes, Linux Mint is great and it worked for me in the past.
But when I brought a new laptop, I had to 'not use' is it as the Wifi card had no drivers so I changed to Manjaro but same case existed with Manjaro as well.
Finally, I found a sigh of relief in openSUSE Leap (not Tumbleweed)
Since then I have been using Leap and it is great.

Runwiththedolphin on youtube has a tut for setting up wifi on antix 19 (MX Linux).
6:22
Guy makes everything look super easy. When my tablet needs an upgrade from 7 I'm definitely running mx first.

Yes, Linux Mint is great and it worked for me in the past.
But when I brought a new laptop, I had to 'not use' is it as the Wifi card had no drivers so I changed to Manjaro but same case existed with Manjaro as well.
Finally, I found a sigh of relief in openSUSE Leap (not Tumbleweed)
Since then I have been using Leap and it is great.

Just curious- what model laptop is that? Can you post your
Code:
# lspci
output? I'm surprised that neither Mint or Manjaro were unable to provide a suitable driver.

Back