• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Liquid Nitrogen ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
*Blinks* did you by chance try reading any posts? there are tons here!

But to be redundant. 1: Yes they use it for cooling 2: They pour it on the computer in a special metal tube. 3: It works quite well how ever very impractical for any thing other then screwing around, I believe they call it benching.

Metallica said:
Do people use this for cooling? Im not sure ... And if so, how does it work ...

Yes its used and used quite commonly. Its the coldest method so far available to an average person. How it works? Its boiling point is -195.8°C, so its easily boils at room temperature, resulting in -195.8°C temperatures as it boils off. Its usually put in a specially designed copper pot that is mounted on the cpu. This is a short term cooling solution for benching and not meant for 24/7 use as you have to keep replenishing the LN2 that boils off.

Please lurk for a while before posting as all this information is available and plentiful. You might also want to check out xtreme systems Dry Ice and Liquid Nitrogen section :)

Also Forum FAQs and Guidelines are a good read when you are starting up ;)

If you are a beginner, chances are good that your question has already been asked and answered numerous times. Use the forum search function to check it out and see if this is the case. Look at the articles on the home page. Half the time, your answer is probably right there.

The search function is an extremely useful tool. Oftentimes, the question you have on your mind has been asked several times. By using the search, you can get a much quicker response with more information. Should this not fully answer your question, you can always post for clarification (starting a new thread instead of asking in a thread that searched linked you is a good idea).

Last edited:
First poster allready stated that, no need in repeating it.
Was a quick question i had, as me and a friend bet on it. I won :rolleyes: You'd think it would freeze the CPU, so it wouldnt work ... Guess not.
Thankyou for that link Pf.

Some strange uses include:

-Dumping a jug of it in the pool then swimming in the fog
-Freezing frogs and just about everything else
-A risky trick I saw once involving putting a very small amount in ones mouth and blowing vapor through the nose. Doesn't seem to do any damage because its evaporating so fast it doesn't touch the tissue as it floats on a cushion of gas.

We had a thread about "what to do with LN2 for fun" here on on XS, cant remember. Was interesting lol

Well while I have had a LN2 burn I do not think its moronic, its merely a personal choice and if you understand the possible ramifications then there is nothing wrong with it.

Only thing I would consider moronic is if you do it without understanding the consequences.

There was a thread on darwin forums about a teacher who did that in berkley as a demonstration. He knew what he was doing. The sad part someone tried to emulate him but they swallowed it. Which resulted in them almost dying and having most of their stomach surgically removed. That was moronic.

I've don that with dry ice, very care fully keep it moving around on the tung and blow "smoke" out of my mouth n nose :) thats the trick is keep it moving and you have to know what you are dealing with.

It goes to phase change too it is moronic to try and make one with out understanding the risks and such, air embolism, sever frost bite from refrigerant, cardiac arrest from over exposure to refrigerant and so on. Doing ANY thing with out good understanding is moronic. Problem is too many dam morons, need to let natural selection do its job!

I had a teacher (physics geek =D) that used liquid nitrogen for cooling. He also had another rig where he used something like baby oil (maybe? I forget) because it was easy to cool and did not conduct electricity. That way he could completely submerge his mb in it and OC like a madman.

Pf.Farnsworth said:
There was a thread on darwin forums about a teacher who did that in berkley as a demonstration. He knew what he was doing. The sad part someone tried to emulate him but they swallowed it. Which resulted in them almost dying and having most of their stomach surgically removed. That was moronic.

The guy is lucky that's all he needed removed. A burn severe enough to breach the mucous membrane in the esophagus and sear into the muscle beneath usually results in those muscles swelling to over three times their normal size which is enough to close the throat and kill you before help can arrive.

I've mostly only seen this in people trapped in house or car fires but I'm certain an LN2 burn could do the trick. Considering this makes playing around with it (without purpose), even for an expert, pretty foolish. However, it's no more moronic then not wearing a seatbelt because you don't think you look cool.

The level of idiocy is truly revealed when you consider the odds you are facing with the ultimate price being your life. Doesnt seem worth it to blow smoke out of your nose. :drool:

Not really. Not wearing a seat belt is taking a risk on something not in your control. Putting ln2 in your mouth is different as you have a choice weather to swallow or not.

Pf.Farnsworth said:
Not really. Not wearing a seat belt is taking a risk on something not in your control. Putting ln2 in your mouth is different as you have a choice weather to swallow or not.

"cause of death - an unexpected pat on the back while playing with liquid nitrogen"

Back