• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a good LCD to replace my CRT and TV.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Unforgiven

I'm poking my nose around for the first time in ages, and it feels good to be back. But anywho, I love my Samsung 990DF 19" CRT, the thing is so freaking big that I have no room on my desk, and I'd much rather have a widescreen. As for the TV, it's just an 6 year old TruFlat SDTV RCA, which has been a really good TV, and has good video quality for having nothing beyond S-video. I just want an LCD that is as good as(or better than) my CRT, and that can take a component input. I've been really debating on the NEC Multisync 20WGMX2, because it meets all of my requirements, but I've read bad things about it's glossy screen. I personally cannot stand the matte finish on the Dell 2007WFP or the Samsung 204BW, though both monitors seem to be good for their money. After using a CRT for 15+ years, I'm used to a little glare, and my room is setup where I have very minimal glare even with my CRT. And for TV replacement, I just want something that my 480p Wii would look good on.

So what do you guys with experience in this subject think. I'd rather keep it under $500 if at all possible. Just a good all monitor that can do this.

Thanks in advance,

~Dave

480p isn't going to look much better.

I can't recomend anything since it's been a while when I was TV hunting, but there are a LOT of 32" LCD's out there for $500. Of course shipping and taxes hurt.

so are you looking for a tv and an lcd monitor or just an lcd monitor that you can connect a console to? Also what resolution are you ok with?

Well, I've got a Viewsonic N5 video processor which I'm attempting to use with with my Wii and Samsung monitor, and it doesn't look too bad. Though from a distance it looks better. Text and such looks great, it's just that the Wii's AA support isn't that great.

BossBorot said:
so are you looking for a tv and an lcd monitor or just an lcd monitor that you can connect a console to? Also what resolution are you ok with?

The latter, just an all-in-one widescreen replacement for the CRT and TV. Preferably 1680x1050 or higher. For the TV part 480p is fine, though 720p would be nice.

That BenQ FP241W looks like a pretty nice monitor. Is it a TN panel? $669 new at Newegg, which is rather respectable, though a little more than I can spare. I'm still looking at the NEC 20WMGX2 , especially since it's $200 cheaper AR. But that's not a bad price for a 24 inch, and it has HDMI input, which is very nice, and that's the cheapest I think you can buy 1080p. Now I'm tettering between the BenQ and the NEC now.

How's the coating on the screen? Most LCD's make me want to clean them, because the matte coating makes me think they are dirty. I'm leaving my CRT dirty to see if I can actually live with that coating, because that's what the matte coating looks exactly like to me.

its not a tn, you wont find tn panels bigger then 22" in computer monitors as most people willing to spend that much dont want tn; it uses a P-MVA and if you are willing to buy it refurb it cost $430 if you follow the first link.

I think its mat as not very many screen have gloss and those who do tend to carry a premium as is the case with that nec.

Last edited:
Well dont expect very good 480P quality from an LCD, They perform much better at there native resolution, When I compared Wii on my NEC 20WMGX2 via Component input vs. my Sony 34" XBR960 CRT HDTV via Component the differance was night and day, The CRT looked far superior and its even a much larger screen (34" vs. 20.1") It looked way to pixelated on the LCD mostly due to scaling, a CRT is able to display 480p without altering the pixels.

BossBorot said:
its not a tn, you wont find tn panels bigger then 22" in computer monitors as most people willing to spend that much dont want tn; it uses a P-MVA and if you are willing to buy it refurb it cost $430 if you follow the first link.

I think its mat as not very many screen have gloss and those who do tend to carry a premium as is the case with that nec.

That's what I get for posting that late at night, I miss details. I'm a little paranoid about a refurb, what will they let you send it back for? Dead pixels? Severe damage?

Oh and one other thing, is my 6600 GT good enough for everyday usage with this monitor? I'm not going to be doing too much PC gaming, aside from Diablo 2 on occasional, which will run on nearly anything, but just using Linux and running Beryl(a window manager similar to Vista's Aero), which requires 3D acceleration. I can't really afford both a new monitor and video card.

Thanks for the warning, JRW. I guess I may have to keep using the old RCA TV for SD/EDTV gaming for a bit longer. I bet a Xbox 360 using a VGA adapter or a PS3 with HDMI would look good on the BenQ, though budget keeps either of those out of my hands.

you can drive the resolution for desktop no problem just not in most games released after your 6600gt came out.

BossBorot said:
you can drive the resolution for desktop no problem just not in most games released after your 6600gt came out.

It shouldn't look too terrible in a lower 16:10 resolution, right? And right now the BenQ Shopper site is out of stock on the FP241W. I hope they get some in soon. And how is the return policy? If you get one with a handful of dead pixels, will they take it back?

Some sites make too much of a hissy fit over glossy screens. I think you're like me, I dislike anti-glare coatings that give a dirty-crystally kind of look to the picture. I believe they are designed for office apps with flourescent lighting although it doesn't bother lots of people at all.

I've been shopping for an LCD lately too. There are some other options:
Acer 2051W - 20" P-MVA screen and *cheap* at Newegg, $255 shipped no MIR.
+price +P-MVA not TN
+/- glossy screen (plus to me and probably you too)
-Acer is a decent maker but not top tier imo, maybe tier 1.5 :p they tend to compete on price while cutting features. -no extra inputs (maybe the deal killer for you) -built-on non-adjustable stand, no arm mounting possible -power brick! omg I just about puked when I saw it had one ;) these are the kinds of things Acer cuts on, but their displays are otherwise 'ok'
LG 245W/246W (online/retail model) - same base panel as the BenQ, different electronics. Panel isn't everything. Supposedly has a 'semi-gloss' coating, not as anti-glare as Dells etc but not full-out glossy either. Check one out from retail, BB carries it.

NEC 20WMGX2 - you know about this one already. Lots of features just has a price premium but it's the only glossy guaranteed IPS 20" out there.

I hate to recommend other forums but [H] has massive amounts of info, user opinions, gripes and praises about every decent monitor. I've used it as a resource for that purpose quite a bit. To check out a glossy screen I'd suggest buying an HP w2207 at BB and then returning it :p Not all glossy is the same but you'll get a feel for it. They are glossier than CRTs but once turned on it's not as bad as some people make it to be. Pictures showing how bad reflections are with an all black screen is pretty meaningless imo once they are displaying anything, even dark scenes, it's not nearly so bad.

Personally atm I am strongly leaning toward a 20WMGX2. I know it's well-regarded, I like glossy, IPS means I won't have to deal with PVA color-shifting issues. NEC builds solid stuff too I expect it would last forever, and with a built-in TV tuner and remote plus all the inputs it can serve as a TV or whatever well in to the future. sub-$500 puts it squarely between cheaper ones and the $600-700+ 24"ers which works for me. The main thing holding me back is buying an LCD online scares me :(

I've actually seen the 20WMGX2 in person at Fry's though the idiots didn't even have it connected to anything. The best monitor in the whole damn store, and it wasn't even connected. Though they did have the 90GX2 running, and the colors and the screen looked great to me. The closest thing I've seen to a CRT. I don't require a perfect monitor. I'm using a $189(back in March 2005) Samsung 990DF, which I'm sure is a midrange CRT at best. Though it is about the best non-aperture grille CRT's I've seen. Just something that's a step up from that, would be good for me. The Nec 20" and the BenQ 24" refurb is what I'm teetering over... I like the features of both.

MadMan007 said:
Oh man lucky you living near a Fry's! You can buy the NEC retail :cry:

This is the same problem I have but amazingly I found out office depot may carry the NEC model so I may go look to see if they do then buy it online if I like it. Though just like you I am scared to buy a lcd monitor online as well because of dead pixels or stuck pixels.

I want to buy a lcd monitor from Newegg but not sure if thats a smart idea with their lcd monitor policy :(

Is there any ulimate online retailer to buy lcd monitors from so you can return them if there are any problems like dead or stuck pixels ?

MadMan007 said:
Oh man lucky you living near a Fry's! You can buy the NEC retail :cry:

I live about 80 miles from a Fry's, though their prices on most of their stuff is too high. It is a great place to actually see a huge amount of products though. I love they way they display their motherboards. You can actaully see what exactly each model has, without trying to guess from a box picture. I forget what they wanted for the NEC there, I'm wanting to say like $609 or so. Still it annoyed me that they didn't even have it connected to anything... They had a playable gaming rig set up, some nice rig with 7800's in SLI with 2gb of RAM(this was a few months back, right when Vista came out), and it had a cheaper Samusng TN instead of that wicked monitor. Ah well, I kinda wish they'd of had more higher end monitors on display.

The only thing I really hate about the NEC 20wmgx2 is they don't sell a totally black one.

Why does it have to be black and gray ? With the gray being on the whole front panel ? Doesn't a black boarder bring out the image better on a lcd monitor ?

I think a black border on an LCD makes me compare the screen's black to true black, and I've never seen an LCD that had true black. YMMV though.

The Unforgiven said:
I think a black border on an LCD makes me compare the screen's black to true black, and I've never seen an LCD that had true black. YMMV though.

Thats a really good point! If it bothers me to much I may just turn the silver border into a black border so it matches with my black case. :clap:

Back