• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a good LCD to replace my CRT and TV.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well i ordered a NEC 20WXGx2 because all of the 22" lcds even the HP's are TN panels. I hate this. If I want a larger S-IPS LCD I have to go to a 30 inch Dell or HP LCD and those are way to big or expensive. No big deal though. A 20' widescreen is well over enough room for me. Maybe more than I actually need. I could make do with a 19 inch but most of those are TN panels too now. I hate TN panels because I can't get close to CRT quality with them. The only LCDs that come almost perfect to CRT quality I am sure are well over $1000 or even $4000 which just isn't worth it. NEC and Eizo sell some.

MadMan007 said:
I'm about 90% decided to get the NEC early next week :eek: Post impressions when you get yours please!

Why are you embarrassed?
Will do! This will be my first lcd so I am sure I will love it just hope it has no dead pixels! Though NEC will pay for return shipping and shipping back to you for the first 30 days with a new lcd monitor! I think there needs to be up to 4 dead pixels though but hey thats better than the 6 to 8 pixels that most online retailers have as a rule! I wasn't very clear on it though because I don't know much about lcds.

The :eek: wasn't meant for embarassment just ':eek:' at buying n LCD online. I'm also leaning toward the all-silver version just because the two-toneness of the black/silver looks bad to me. It's probably not near as bad without the speakers but I would keep them attached for TV input w/o a computer on and while lots of two-tone items with those colors look fine something about the NEC looks hideous like that :p

Ah that's some nice CS from the manufacturer. It goes for anywhere you purchase from obviously? Where'd you get yours...aside from Newegg I'm considering calling Dell and seeing what kind of discount they can give. Last month they had a 15% off electronics and accessories so it could end up pretty low with an easy return/exchange option.

MadMan007 said:
The :eek: wasn't meant for embarassment just ':eek:' at buying n LCD online. I'm also leaning toward the all-silver version just because the two-toneness of the black/silver looks bad to me. It's probably not near as bad without the speakers but I would keep them attached for TV input w/o a computer on and while lots of two-tone items with those colors look fine something about the NEC looks hideous like that :p

Ah that's some nice CS from the manufacturer. It goes for anywhere you purchase from obviously? Where'd you get yours...aside from Newegg I'm considering calling Dell and seeing what kind of discount they can give. Last month they had a 15% off electronics and accessories so it could end up pretty low with an easy return/exchange option.

Newegg. I wish I could of found a place that had a no dead pixel policy. I feel your pain with buying a NEC monitor online. I hate having to do it as well. Business lcd monitors from nec have one advantage that they send you a brand new one during the 3 year warranty instead of fixing it like with the consumer products but for the same price you get less screen size and the business models are very expensive even just for a 20" like $899 + There nice but to expensive. You can only get them online as well but with nec consumer lcd monitors thats basically the case as well.

I was looking at the LCD2070NX but not sure if its a better NEC LCD model or what? It may be a older LCD. I just liked it better because it was all black and I didn't need the speakers or tv tuner card. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824002270

Have you seen this one ? I believe its one of the business lcd monitors but the more affordable line.

This one as well I was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824002144

The only problem with those two is they don't come in widescreen so I decided against them. I also didn't think they were as new as the NEC 20WXGx2.

Well, I bought the refurbed BenQ FP241W for $429 today. $42.50 for freaking ground shipping! Ah well. So I'll let you guys know when it comes.

I received my NEC 20WMGX2! I love it! The only thing I was worried about is when I saw the lcd monitor it was shipped in the retail box and didn't have the retail box within a packaging box to protect the lcd monitor the best. I am shocked that newegg did this in less its not their fault somehow ? Thankfully the lcd monitor was fine but what if it would of rained or the box would of got crushed ?

It is a lot bigger than I expected it to be compared to my 19 inch CRT monitor. The only disappointed part of it for me was how difficult to put on the DVI cable in the back. Thats it. Games and text look amazing! For colors. Blacks look black! Whites look white! Wide screen really does make a big difference even on forums because forums have a lot of content going long ways. Finally no more scrolling left to right!

I've never seen a monitor from newegg shipped in a second box. LCD or CRT. Though, there would be no way they would want to put a huge CRT in a box. My Samsung 990DF was just sitting in my driveway when I got home after I ordered it. I had my BenQ shipped to my cousin's house, because I am rarely home during the daytime to receive anything, and I'd rather not have that nice of a monitor, refurb or not, laying out in the open.

MadMan007 yes I have tried the built in tv tuner and its nice because I didn't have to install any drivers for it. It just works! I already have a tv tuner in my pc but this is a nice feature just to have if I want to record something while I watch live tv still at least! I don't think you can record with the tv tuner card though that is in the monitor. Inless I am mistaken? Does anyone know what kind of tv tuner it is and the brand?

I not sure what you mean by no scaling options with DVI though. Could you please explain that a little further ? I am guessing your talking about being able to run at a lower resolution than the native resolution and still having it look just as good ?

Sorry I forgot to anwser your question about the remote. It is pretty nice because you can change all settings through it and it even has buttons for a PC1 and PC2 which is nice if you want to use the lcd monitor for two different systems! For the tv tuner its does very well. Its really nice being able to turn on and off the lcd monitor from a good distance without having to keep pressing the button on the monitor itself. I would think the button on the monitor could break a lot quicker or easier than the button on the remote.

Yea I PMd specific questoins rather than post them, but I guess having the info out there is good too.

About scaling, in general there are 3 types:
1) stretch/fill/full screen - takes whatever aspect ratio the source feeds and stretches to full screen. Can distort image proportions a little or a lot depending upon the difference. 16:9->16:10 isn't a big difference, 4:3->16:10 is.
2) maintain aspect ratio - stretches the image vertically to fill the screen but maintains the aspect ratio so the image isn't distorted. A 4:3 resolution would have black bars on the left and right in this case.
3) 1:1 pixel mapping - puts the exact number of pixels the source feeds on to the screen. Image is surrounded by black bars on all sides.

I suppose that's the only downside of the way the NEC displays things, it supposedly does not have any scaling options with the digital input and always stretches to full screen. The other inputs do have scaling options in the OSD. Not a huge deal for computer source since video card drivers can override this (as long as it works :rolleyes: some Nvidia drivers :bang head) Want to check that stuff out? :)

My NEC20wMGX2 is being delivered tomorrow, I love Newegg's NJ warehouse :beer: I'm just putting my fears aside and banking on NECs high quality reputation. I already have semi buyer's remorse though lol, I got it in silver/white because i'm going to keep the speakers attached and the black looks wierd to me with the speakers on. I figure it will go better with decor in the long run when it's on it's own as a non-computer monitor display.

One word: spectacular. I like glossy and this is the first IPS I've owned. I am extremely pleased with the NEC it's better than my aging Diamondtron tube :eek: I thought I'd liked the other LCDs I've tried but this is no comparison.

*edit: No dead pixels yay. The backlight is a touch uneven on an all-black screen but it's odd because unlike other monitors this doesn't show up as white haziness but rather as very dull golden-yellow. The same thing happens when viewing off axis or too close but to much larger areas, I think this is the way IPS is and it's exagerrated by the glossy coating. It's not really noticable in normal use though only on pure black screens and when viewing at unrealistic distance and angle. From a normal viewing position it's not there unlike shortcomings that bothered me on other displays. Some people posted about this on the [H] forum as well as in one or two website reviews but they said it went away after some use when the monitor loosens up. I don't have a choice having bought it fom the egg so :p here's hoping.

Last edited:
MadMan007 said:
One word: spectacular. I like glossy and this is the first IPS I've owned. I am extremely pleased with the NEC it's better than my aging Diamondtron tube :eek: I thought I'd liked the other LCDs I've tried but this is no comparison.

*edit: No dead pixels yay. The backlight is a touch uneven on an all-black screen but it's odd because unlike other monitors this doesn't show up as white haziness but rather as very dull golden-yellow. The same thing happens when viewing off axis or too close but to much larger areas, I think this is the way IPS is and it's exagerrated by the glossy coating. It's not really noticable in normal use though only on pure black screens and when viewing at unrealistic distance and angle. From a normal viewing position it's not there unlike shortcomings that bothered me on other displays. Some people posted about this on the [H] forum as well as in one or two website reviews but they said it went away after some use when the monitor loosens up. I don't have a choice having bought it fom the egg so :p here's hoping.

Mad,

I thought you would be pleased with it. I have the cheaper 90GX2 TN panel with the shiny panel face. This model doesn't compare with yours but I have no problem with any glare. As long as you are looking straight on without a bright background, there is no problem.

Yea it's kind of silly because all the 'pro' reviews that are anti-glossy coating always show the glossy monitors in the worst conditions with the monitor off entirely. When there's a picture it's not nearly as bad as they make it out to be and without being silly like putting a lamp directly behind you the reflections are minimal. I've been on a CRT though so it has some reflections anyway and I like glossy better than the anti-glare on some screens.

MadMan007 glad to see you like your new NEC20wMGX2!

Sorry about taking a while to get back to you about scaling. I found out that I think it may be able to but not really sure. I remember reading something about being able to scale down some but not sure what kind of scaling it was.

RollingThunder said:
Mad,

I thought you would be pleased with it. I have the cheaper 90GX2 TN panel with the shiny panel face. This model doesn't compare with yours but I have no problem with any glare. As long as you are looking straight on without a bright background, there is no problem.

I heard some really great things about the NEC 90GX2. What is it like compared to other 19" lcd monitors from other brands?

powersupply said:
I heard some really great things about the NEC 90GX2. What is it like compared to other 19" lcd monitors from other brands?

PS,

It's a good general use LCD and a TN panel. There is some ghosting to be honest but I'm not a gamer so I really don't see it. As you know it used to be a $350 monitor early this year but now it's not and it's probably in line with similar other brands. I bought it from CDW when the price dropped to $209 some months ago. It's at "End of Life" for NEC now.

Since I have been a "fanboy" of NEC for a long time, I took the plunge with it as my first LCD. I'm satisfied with it and use it on my other machine. It does not compare to this Dell 2007fp I use on this machine and the price reflects that.

RollingThunder said:
PS,

It's a good general use LCD and a TN panel. There is some ghosting to be honest but I'm not a gamer so I really don't see it. As you know it used to be a $350 monitor early this year but now it's not and it's probably in line with similar other brands. I bought it from CDW when the price dropped to $209 some months ago. It's at "End of Life" for NEC now.

Since I have been a "fanboy" of NEC for a long time, I took the plunge with it as my first LCD. I'm satisfied with it and use it on my other machine. It does not compare to this Dell 2007fp I use on this machine and the price reflects that.

Thanks. Was thinking if I wanted two smaller cheaper lcd monitors on each side of my 20 inch lcd maybe this one would be it. Not sure if I need that many lcd monitors though. May be a waste.

Dont mean to hijack this thread, but quick question, is there anyway to use a LCD monitor just for TV w/o a computer? My friend wants something around 22-24in LCD for her room and I've seen that theres been a few deals on the 22in for like 200$ AR or so. I was thinking maybe with a digital cable box she can hook up the monitor to it via compenent cables?

Back