• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for decent budget TV 45"-60"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

Recently I was gifted with a semi-functioning 46" plasma TV.

I tried fixing it, but it still has the display fail randomly between 60 seconds and 3-5 hours.

Plus it has wrong color pixel storms that show better or worse depending on the size and color of the image.

So, I'd like to get a replacement one. I've already got a wall mount set up with the current one, and the size and weight limits are 40"-60" and 130 pounds.

This gets mainly used with a Fire TV stick, and it might wind up with a Blu-ray player attached eventually.

Budget is somewhat tight on this.

Also, if at all possible, I'd like it to have a glass type screen. We have cats are addicted to the TV, and I'd rather they not damage the screen when trying to play with the fun stuff inside the picture.

cats.jpg

You have any idea on what the size requirements?
43" may be be a "bit" smallish for some.

I'm not sure I'd pay "extra" for 4K. - A good 1080P perhaps?

You have any idea on what the size requirements?
43" may be be a "bit" smallish for some.

I'm not sure I'd pay "extra" for 4K. - A good 1080P perhaps?

We currently have a 46" plasma that was given to me. I'd kind of like to not go down in size. Also, I sit about 10-12' away from the TV. I'm not sure I'm going to notice that much difference between 1080p and 4K.

Do you have buffering at 1080 I with fire stick?

Actually, I have buffering at 720p with the fire stick. Not often, but it does happen. I'm starting to think it might be a good idea to upgrade to the Ethernet version. I'm pretty good at running my own cable and I've got gigabit router/switches running from a 50M down FiOS connection.

And I would like to keep the budget under $500 if I could. I'm ok with an tier 2 brand as long as it has fairly decent build quality. Which is why I'm looking for personal recommendations rather than just trying to google / search newegg reviews.

You should have plenty of bandwidth, I would run a test first, like checking your download speed when you have buffering problems first before spending money.

I don't notice a difference from 4K and 1080i at a distance, especially when you don't have a big difference in pixel density. What you have to do is go to wall mart or best buy and bring a magnifying Glass and look at both 1080i and 4k, that is what I do since they don't list the pixel density.

With a 60" they save a lot of money calling it 4k and have a pixel density of 1080i after doing all this you will have a much better idea what you want and what brand to purchase.

From what I found there is no standard for manufactures to adhere to, they just have the processor in the TV or monitor communicate at the resolution they advertise. So buyer beware!

Just think about this how does 45"-60" have the same number of pixels calling it 4k.

Last edited:
We currently have a 46" plasma that was given to me. I'd kind of like to not go down in size. Also, I sit about 10-12' away from the TV. I'm not sure I'm going to notice that much difference between 1080p and 4K.

Actually, I have buffering at 720p with the fire stick. Not often, but it does happen. I'm starting to think it might be a good idea to upgrade to the Ethernet version. I'm pretty good at running my own cable and I've got gigabit router/switches running from a 50M down FiOS connection.

And I would like to keep the budget under $500 if I could. I'm ok with an tier 2 brand as long as it has fairly decent build quality. Which is why I'm looking for personal recommendations rather than just trying to google / search newegg reviews.

See the link below.

http://referencehometheater.com/2013/commentary/4k-calculator/

For 11 feet there isn't any benefit for going to a 4K screen. (Assuming that everything else is equal.)

Here's Rtings.com TV size and distance chart. (Linky)

I'd also point out that your budget of $500 a good 50 inch LCD is the "best" size.

Having said that the Samsung UN50J6200 is a very highly rated 50" and is slightly over budget at $550. Here's the review on Rtings.com (Link)

Vizio does make a good 43" 4K LCD TV for $500 (Review Linky) but since the same review's site guide doesn't recomend 4K I'm surprised that it is recomended.

I have read that right now 50" and 55" is what people seem to want. That might explain why they are so relatively inexpensive.

If you want a good read for what is recommended (as of January 2015) this is a good read: (Linky)

Vizio E550i-B2
A family member bought this in 2014 - for $700 and I must admit it is a very good picture.

I have seen the Samsung and the Vizio E and M series and both look great for the money.

The E50-C1 is currently $449 at Best Buy (Linky)

Last edited:
You should have plenty of bandwidth, I would run a test first, like checking your download speed when you have buffering problems first before spending money.

I'll see what performance is like with the new TV before making any decisions. However, I've never gotten anything like the distance I should be getting using WiFi at my place. I might be getting some interference from somewhere. I've got a WiFi analyzer app on my phone, so I'll see what that says if I still have problems.

Vizio E550i-B2
A family member bought this in 2014 - for $700 and I must admit it is a very good picture.

I have seen the Samsung and the Vizio E and M series and both look great for the money.

The E50-C1 is currently $449 at Best Buy (Linky)

I see I can pick up a refurbished E50-C1 at Newegg for $400. I might have to go for that.

Is the screen on the E550i-B2 glass like, or a softer plastic?

Thanks!

I'll see what performance is like with the new TV before making any decisions. However, I've never gotten anything like the distance I should be getting using WiFi at my place. I might be getting some interference from somewhere. I've got a WiFi analyzer app on my phone, so I'll see what that says if I still have problems.

I see I can pick up a refurbished E50-C1 at Newegg for $400. I might have to go for that.

Is the screen on the E550i-B2 glass like, or a softer plastic?

Thanks!

It's a softer plastic. Looks good in all types of lighting. The calibrated dark setting.

Well, I got the Vizio E50-C1 refurbished model at Newegg.

Overall, so far, I'm very pleased with it. The built-in smart TV function is pretty comparable with the Amazon Fire stick. The picture is very nice. If it has any stuck pixels, I can't tell.

Also, if buffering over wifi does turn out to be a problem, there is an ethernet port on the TV already.

Though with the scratchable screen, my wife is talking about getting a piece of plexiglass to put in front of it so the cats can still play with it. So, I'm thinking up ideas for that. Probably some type of clip to hold on from the back of the TV.

Thanks for the help everybody!

Overall, so far, I'm very pleased with it. The built-in smart TV function is pretty comparable with the Amazon Fire stick. The picture is very nice. If it has any stuck pixels, I can't tell.

Also, if buffering over wifi does turn out to be a problem, there is an ethernet port on the TV already.

Though with the scratchable screen, my wife is talking about getting a piece of plexiglass to put in front of it so the cats can still play with it. So, I'm thinking up ideas for that. Probably some type of clip to hold on from the back of the TV.

After a few days of "appreciation" please let us know how it is working out for you and the family.

If memory serves - I have calibration settings somewhere.:-/

Ive never tried it with something large like a TV , but I use windowfilm/plastic on my smartphone and tablets. I even picked up a roll of the thicker stuff at the hardware store and it still works.

I do forsee a small issue when it comes to a television set though: when I put this stuff on a touchscreen phone/tablet it has bubbles (it adheres through static and pressure - no adhesive necesary), but through use of the touch screen the bubbles get smoothed out. I am not sure how you would smooth these bubbles out on a television set though. Or maybe you can get a company to custom print you a set of very large screen protectors.

After a few days of "appreciation" please let us know how it is working out for you and the family.

If memory serves - I have calibration settings somewhere.:-/

I hope this has been long enough.

Overall we're pretty happy with it. It wasn't getting as many buffering stops, but it did have frequent downgrades in visual quality. Sometimes blockly looking enough it was hard to tell what the picture was.

So I plugged in the ethernet cable and that seemed to resolve it. We'll still get the occasional drop in quality, but maybe 1/20th as often.

We keep the cat trees far enough away they can't really reach the TV anymore so they aren't scratching the screen.

Overall, very satisfied.

I hope this has been long enough.

Overall we're pretty happy with it. It wasn't getting as many buffering stops, but it did have frequent downgrades in visual quality. Sometimes blockly looking enough it was hard to tell what the picture was.

So I plugged in the ethernet cable and that seemed to resolve it. We'll still get the occasional drop in quality, but maybe 1/20th as often.

We keep the cat trees far enough away they can't really reach the TV anymore so they aren't scratching the screen.

Overall, very satisfied.

Glad to hear that you are liking it. It is interesting - I've tried both ethernet and wireless and they both look the same.

I do see occasional "screen blooming" - when there is a really dark scene and the HDTV doesn't know what to do. It is odd since sometimes dark scenes aren't a problem at all.

Pops is using X1 - and the odd thing is that the tv is good, the cable internet is excellent. He upgraded to 100Mbs last year.

Back