• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looks like I might have to stop folding for a couple of days

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zspaldin

Registered
Bummer, I was really enjoying watching those points go up with my new gtx660 folding for me!

I moved to Scranton, PA a couple of months ago from Los Angeles and it's looking like we are going to be right in the path of Hurricane Sandy.

The power company sent us a message that we may be without power for up to a week, my school shut down for the next two days, and they are closing some of the highways and interstates nearby. The school told us we can take showers in the gross anatomy lab locker room if the power is out for an extended period. I've only been on the east coast for a little while, but this is starting to sound pretty damn serious!

I'm gonna shut every thing down and unplug tomorrow morning. We are predicted to see the leading edge that afternoon.

Hopefully it won't be too bad and I can get back to folding some proteins!

Good luck to anyone else in the path of this storm!

It looks like Sandy will have a wide and deep impact area. Good thing you're taking it seriously.

You've got food water, emergency radio etc., at the ready, right?

Main thing is to get prepared, and then hunker down and ride it out, with something you like doing. Be patient, and don't go outside unless you absolutely, absolutely, are forced to.

The flying debris and things like down power lines, make any outside venture, a real danger.

Let us know how it goes. You're not as close as Philly is, but close enough.

Ya, we went today and got cases of water, propane, and two tanks of gas. I've charged every battery/jumper pack I own and filled some 5 gal buckets with water. We took in everything off our balcony and moved our cars away from trees.

My girlfriend's aunt and uncle live in Philly and her aunt is a nurse who has to work at the hospital for the next two days, so we are hoping they are alright. Her next two days at work might be interesting.

The Aunt will be staying in the hospital all during the storm then? Once the storm starts, she should stay PUT, for sure. I pray everyone in the storm path remembers that. It's been awhile since PA had a real smasher, iirc.

In a macabre way, it reminds me of the slasher films scene, where the cute college coed just wants to check what she heard, by moving down the dark side of the house, alone. Just be a minute... :eek:

People get antsy in hurricanes, they "just want to go outside to check or get...". They're not thinking clearly, like that cute coed. Stay PUT dammit! :thup:

Yep, she will be there the whole time. She's on a special team of staff members who work during events like this.

It is looking like I can fold for a while longer. The storm isn't moving in until late tonight. I've got everything on B+ backup and I'm probably going to shut down when I go to bed unless it gets nasty.

Until then I've gotten a couple of 8057 WUs and I REALLY like those!

^^^^ :D :D :D

@zspaldin:
Those are nice wu's. Doesn't look like a real high wind Hurricane, but the direction is bad for surge. New York's got salt water shorting out their electrical systems, all over the place.

Back