• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Low power/heat CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madstoft

Hi Forum,

I'm building a very small PC to be used for serving files only. I want it to be used in the same way as an external USB HDD, but with an RJ-45 Network connector instead.

I need a setup with a Micro ATX MB and a very low heat/power CPU. I'm thinking something along a P3-500 should be fine for the purpose.

What Brand/Model/speed would you recommend for the use.

The board will be put in a custom box with only one fan for the box/cpu/power-supply.

All suggestions are wellcome...

Mads
Sydney, Australia

#your eyes are open, but is your mind?

Some lower end manufactures just put in a heatsink/ fan combo, Even with P4's. But with such a small case the air will get trapped... why can't you put another fan out the back.. like 60 mm or somthing similar. Wouldn't take up to much space.

i'd say grab an athlon, maybe a 1700+ or similar, and clock it at the lowest possible multiplier with the stock FSB. (or jsut underclock any processor, really...)

then down the voltage till its unstable, then up it till its stable, then put a huge aluminum (aluminum is better for passive, i think...) heasink, and there you go...a litltem ore airflow modding it should run....without getting too too warm.

Now, why would you want a portable hard drive compuyter that has to plug in and boot up? thats beyond me...

Sorry KOXC2003,

Mabye I was not so clear in my discription. I DO plan for ONE fan to be there, and it will be the case/box fan blowing fresh air trough the case. I will have as large heatsinks on the power supply and CPU as the case permits (At least the std. sizes).

Have you looked at the VIA MiniITX motherboard/CPU combos?
They aren't very speedy, but you can get a 1ghz EPIA series (I think that's what it's called) for cheap with the motherboard, and it is supposed to run fanless with a very small passive heatsink. With some airflow through the case (maybe a stealth fan) it should be fine heatflow and you'll have a nice rig. The motherboards are uber tiny btw, 17cm x 17cm if I remember correctly.

Como said:
Now, why would you want a portable hard drive compuyter that has to plug in and boot up? thats beyond me...

Well, for several reasons.

1) My laptop only has limited HDD (40Gb). I'll set the nex box up on my wireless ADSL router/switch with a permanent shared drive. That way I'll be ableto access 200Gb of files over my wireless c onnection.

2) If my laptop ever gets stolen I'll have backups of important documents on the shared drive. I use the computer for a lot of daily stuff, and acccumulates a large amount of data/documents that I would be really sad to loose permanently. The mentioned 'file server' I can hide away with the router somewhere on the loft. If someone breaks in and steals my stuff they will not find it.

3) I have a powerfull laptop and an static IP ADSL connection. I dont like to leave the laptop on all the time, but I DO like to be able to use Terminal Services to access my files over the internet.

4) The last reason (and I'm sure you're all the same): I just like to do this kind of stuff because...Hmmmmmm

Netgear has a new wireless accespoint out now with USB support so that you can hook an external USB2.0 drive directely into your router...verry verry nice. Netgear Link

I already have a DG824m (modem/true firewall/switch) which is also a nice little unit:Netgear.com.au link

Last edited:
I think they have one as small of 12cm square. But with a fan, they are 1ghz, without they are recommend like.. 800mhz or 600.. dont remember. But they seem to be quite nice for the size. Everything onboard.

Sterculus said:
Have you looked at the VIA MiniITX motherboard/CPU combos?

Yeah..they are actually mentioned on this site on the subject. I was hoping to use some cheap/old hardware for this setup (and i think I would be happy with a Micro ATX-size) I might have a look at some of the AMD K6 or the Celeron Cobbermine suggested on thet site.

Captain Newbie said:
On the subject of Via's CPUs:

I happen to own one of them. If you're doing anything FPU-intensive, get something else, because these units have extremely weak floating-point performance.

Using a Via C3 at 733, 133MHz system bus.

Thanks for the warning. I think I'll be looking around for a low voltage Celeron CPU on a Micro ATX MB.

pentium 3 coppermine cpus run extremely cool, just like duron spitfire cores. my duron 600 is only around 38°C under load with 2.2v and a arctic cooling silent hsf and def voltage is 1.5v, so it must be putting out some 15-20W at default vcore and its not bad performence wise... only draw back is missing sse1

Back