• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

lower the temp of your cpu dramatically?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Emericana

First off i am not sure if this is the appropriate section of the forums to post this in but if it is not, a moderator is free to move it.

http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/kt266a/

I have not tried this tweak yet because i do not yet have my epox 8kha+ yet but if it does what it says, it should be very very good for overclocking and make your cpu much cooler. The guy who wrote the article got 28 degreese with a Retail cooler for a amd xp 1800+. Imagine what you would get if you had a Alpha PAL 8045 w/ a 80mm delta. Has anybody here done this yet and can verify if it works? if so, have you gotten a better oc because of it?

I don't this will acheive a better overclock, as all it effectively does is let the cpu "power off" in idle mode, and thus lowering the temp. It will extend the life of the cpu for sure, but for more atble overclock, i'm not to sure.

do you think i should do it?

Do you think that i should enable it then once i get my epox 8kha+? I got a unlocked 1900+. Have you done it? Is there any bad side effects?

i did it, and i lowered my idle temps 12 degrees C, so yes it is worthwhile, but it is not a solution for heat as the load temps are still the same as they used to be for me.

cjlax5 is totally right. All that the tweak does is power it down a bit during idle. But when you begin to put the CPU under load again, the tweak ceases to work and temps will rocket back up. There is no other alternative to better cooling than replacing the "retail" cooler. Besides, the better cooler look cooler too!:p

I used this tweak, it seems to work fine for me, and no side effects. My idle temp on my Athlon 1600+ went down from 39 C to 29 C, which is excellent. I'm using this under Win2k, and it seems to work fine. Non OC'ed CPU either...:D

The reason that this isn't enable on most boards by default (at least, it hasn't been for a while) is that AMD says that it isn't good for the chips. When your idle is that much lower than your load, you're putting a lot of stress on the chip when you warm it back up...which isn't good.

Sure it will lower your *idle* temps...but those don't matter anyway. Especially if you put your cpu to work. :)

I have been Folding so long I can not remember what my Idle Temp is. Actually since I got my Glaciator this machine has not seen idle except on reboots. :burn:

Very true Thelemac, having lower idle temps really have no real gains in performance, only the life of the CPU, however, when it comes under load, the temp will rise very fast stressing the CPU as Thelemac said due to temp shock. Kinda like going from cold to hot all within a few seconds. If you ask me, I think staying with the normal idle temps would be a better choice. But either way, the CPU gets stressed.

Has their ever been a report that this temperature rise and fall caused permanent chip damage? And if so, within what time or hours of usage?

Well simple physics suggests that as something gets hotter it expands, and as something gets colder it contracts this constant expansion and contraction of your chip may cause damage quickly!!

That is why i don't think this is a very good idea!!

id like to know more about this, i used a idle prog when i was on 2k pro, and it doesnt work on xp..
my temps went from 46~58c Idle, to 20~30c idle after useing the prog.

The program send the HALT command to the cpu, in doing this the cpu is "powered off" when new data goes to the cpu cache its switches on again at full power warming back up!!

A temp. increase and decrease of 20 degrees C should not cause any serious damage, as these chips are designed well and should be resistant to this type of temperature variation. I'd prefer having it running at a cool temp. when idle.

Yakbak said:
A temp. increase and decrease of 20 degrees C should not cause any serious damage, as these chips are designed well and should be resistant to this type of temperature variation. I'd prefer having it running at a cool temp. when idle.

yea.. im thinking of just getting a plet.. or i may just wait and get the 2200+ in the next month or 2 maybe 3 :(

not gonna

i am not gonna try it. it is to risky. anyways, who care about idle temps. he only thing that matters is the temp when the cpu is underload

Re: not gonna

Emericana said:
i am not gonna try it. it is to risky. anyways, who care about idle temps. he only thing that matters is the temp when the cpu is underload

Contradiction? When the CPU is underload it is basically running close to idle! :)

As i said and a few other people said this does stress the cpu, and is not really something that will make a huge difference!

Back