• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mac share grew after W7 debut...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sure their system is stable now, but I remember when the little mac 1meg's were in all the college computer labs and just surfing the net you had to reboot about every 2nd or 3rd page, and nobody in the mac world can remember that far back. But I can't say for sure that it was the OS's fault, as Netscrape Navigator was crap too at that time. After using the computers in the labs at my local community college, the only thing I learned really well was where the re-set button was on a mac. :screwy:

It was the OS's fault, from a stability viewpoint the classic Mac OS was a joke, especially once they started adding loads of bloat in the later versions of the 90s. Its technical equivalent in the Windows world was 3.1 at best, IMO Win95 was more stable then the latest versions of OS 9. OS X changed that situation and finally gave the Mac a robust OS that was worthy of being a head-to-head competitor against NT and linux. It must have been a while since you've used a Mac - they haven't had reset buttons on their boxes for years. lol

Last edited:
It was the OS's fault, from a stability viewpoint the classic Mac OS was a joke, especially once they started adding loads of loads of bloat in the later versions of the 90s. Its technical equivalent in the Windows world was 3.1 at best, IMO Win95 was more stable then the latest versions of OS 9. OS X changed that situation and finally gave the Mac a robust OS that was worthy of being a head-to-head competitor against NT and linux. It must have been a while since you've used a Mac - they haven't had reset buttons on their boxes for years. lol

Good point, when you open up a mac from that timeframe the hardware is actually pretty impressive, even if you compare it to the top end pc-hardware available in those day's.

Funny actually, since these day's there is nothing really impressive with the hardware as such (apart from aesthetics and the fact that Apple computers really are very silent for what it is), but the operating system is nice.

Same thing with a fresh windows install - it takes some time to install all the apps and get things the way you want it. Except most of the software your either purchasing or stealing...

Don't all the OS'es have free open source software developed for them?

I am not a Mac user but I would think that it has Open source free software being developed for it too, just like Linux and Windows.

Pay or Steal are not the only options available for any of the OSes

Meanwhile back to the OP...it was at least a week ago but I read that Win 7 already passed OSX market share based on web use. So, er, yeah...for a few days after Win 7 release OS X had a higher market share :D

Elitist snobery at the ut-most is what I see from the article and from Apple.

Sure their system is stable now, but I remember when the little mac 1meg's were in all the college computer labs and just surfing the net you had to reboot about every 2nd or 3rd page, and nobody in the mac world can remember that far back. But I can't say for sure that it was the OS's fault, as Netscrape Navigator was crap too at that time. After using the computers in the labs at my local community college, the only thing I learned really well was where the re-set button was on a mac. :screwy:

I do own an Imac....it is in the back yard...I go out and kik it once in a while, and then I feel better and go back happily to my PC.
To me, having a Mac in your house is like having a few "sharper image" or "Sky Mall" magazines on the coffee table...to show people that you are important. Beh
IMHO, the Mac OS is not as slick as say win7 is or even vista....but I haven't seen many macs lately so I have no real opinion on Leopard.
Still can't do much gaming on a mac although their market share is getting better in that regard.
I still am of the mindset that a mac is like a Mazeratti and for me it would be like driving a mazeratti on a muddy dirt road.
And besides, Mac's are too pretty to be off roading with and I don't care if my "rig" has mud all over it and the scratches are badges of honor.
Did you notice that I stopped just short of saying that Mac's Svck?
Hey! I just realized that I'm a PC snob. :cool:
I also agree that I have used every ver of windows except Vista all the way back to windows 286, and drivers is was the only real problem in implementing Windows systems, and except for Millenium Edition all were rock stable for me, and so far Win2k was the most usable in my experience.
In the Commercial, when the guy says "I'm a Mac" the other guy should say "my condolences" :beer:

To play devil's advocate (and you did mention it), I remember booting up my Windows ME computer and it freezing every 3 webpages as well :p

When it comes down to it, both sides have their advantages and disadvantages as well as snoobs. I have both PC's and Mac's and I'm happy :)

IMO I think it is silly that people get all bent out of shape regarding the "I'm a MAC" commercials. Its called advertising and if you have a problem or hate the commercial just change the channel for 30 seconds.

IMO I think it is silly that people get all bent out of shape regarding the "I'm a MAC" commercials. Its called advertising and if you have a problem or hate the commercial just change the channel for 30 seconds.

My biggest problem with those commercials is the same problem I have with most campaign commercials, they spend more time pointing out the negatives of the opposition than their own positives.

I still have an Apple IIc but no software :(
Not sure, but I think I still have an old serial Apple laser writer printer lying around.

and Actualy, when MS was still supporting it and you could get all the hotfixes, I didn't have too many troubles with ME, although the interface was a cross between win2k, and win98 and I hated it except for the system restore feature...also most game framerates were better in a fully patched win98 setup than in a fully patched winME setup and between all those, I prefer win2k sp4...IMHO the 1st bullet proof os from MS and it had a much better network stack than in 98 or me.
I have never been able to use my Apple IIc, even though I have the power pack...I just don't have the software..I don't even know if it can use scsi, or what kind of disk support it has..

from what I have seen in the stores, Leopard looks similar to win7 or Vista..but I didn't poke around with the available mack, as others were actualy interested in buying one and seeing as how they are now using Intel hardware, the "different" approach has lost it's luster, and If I wanted to learn another OS, it would be some flavor of Linux.
Like I said at the begining...Elitist snobery is what I see from Apple :) but I must admit that if the Imac in my back yard were in working condition, it would be in the house instead of being a shed doorstop or a kick me toy.

Back