• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

major heat problems w/ 1.2 athlon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

edraven

Won't even boot at 1200mhz @ default voltage it gets so hot, currently underclocked to 1050 @ 1.67V. idle is 52C, running prime95 gets up to 84C! cooler is globalwin fop32, fan rpm is at 4500, mobo/case temps are 21C/26C

a few facts to help find a solution:

-fop applies a lot of pressure, clip is very hard to get on
-bottom of heatsink is flat
-grease layer is thin, it's semi transparent
-Vcore is another strange thing, when i set in bios to 1.75 it actually goes to 1.85, currently i have the bios voltage at like 1.6 and actual turns into 1.67

-temp probe is under cpu, abit kt7-raid mobo
-fop is flat, and centered
-i removed the gooey thermal pad from the fop, and there is no residue, i cleaned it with alcohol
-im not using any software cooling
-my last 1.2ghz cpu had the same problems... then it fried.
-yes its really a 1.2, i checked, and so was the last one

Those temps are way to high for that fan. You want to keep your CPU temps close to your motherboard temps. The only thing I can think of from what I've learned here is to LAP the bottom of your HS, and apply a little more Arctic Silver 2. According to Arctic SIlver, you wan to spread the compound over the entire core about the thickness of 2 sheets of paper.

what are you using to monitor your temps. Some programs actually output a whole 10 degrees hotter, like Asus Probe.

im going to try lapping the HS tomarrow, im using mobo monitor 5 and the abit in socket thermistor

are you using the thermal pad that came with the heatsink. If so, go get something else, it will be better. Arctic Silver 2 is the best.

test the CPU on a another mobo and se what temp you get

becuse you have fride another cpu it can be somthing wrong whit the mobo

You need more GREASE,

It is way to thin,The grease is designed to fill voids in the 2 mating surfaces,Even a lapped heat sink needs more that a TRANSPARENT layer.

Paper thick should be a rule of thumb.

Try my tip, Also consider a problem with main board.

MY parents pc which is a TB 1.2gig ran around low 50c's. I cut a hole in the bottom front of case to better intake air and stuck an 80mm fan to exhaust air in the top back. It dropped there cpu temp to around 33c at an idle.

I have a 1.2 tbird and I had the same problem, until I did a little modifications on it. I run at 43c max load but im sure I can get this puppy even cooler air cooled....btw Asus probe reports temps off by 10c? If so what should I get to find out my real cpu temp?

Doc_M (Apr 07, 2001 07:45 p.m.):
I have a 1.2 tbird and I had the same problem, until I did a little modifications on it. I run at 43c max load but im sure I can get this puppy even cooler air cooled....btw Asus probe reports temps off by 10c? If so what should I get to find out my real cpu temp?

Could try temp - 10 :D

No, really, that's just about all you have to work with unless you want to bore a hole in your heatsink and stick a thermocouple in there. Though for a slightly more accurate temp, you could make sure that the thermistor underneath your cpu is touching the processor, with perhaps a bit of AS on it...

If you are running MBM to monitor your temps, make sure the program is set up to read the correct sensors.
When I first installed it, it said my cpu was running 128C! Check the mbm site for the correct sensor settings.

I had that same problem. I installed Asus Probe because it was on my mobo cd, and it was listing at almost 60c at IDLE! I changed to mobo monitor 5 and it said my temp was about 50c idle, which is not good, but better.

Back