• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

making a display look good?????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I have made a little animation for a friends car shop, it's simple and he picked out the colors to use.
here on my home office monitor it looks good, the colors and such, same on his office monitor.
On the monitor in his customer greeting area it looks awful!!!!!, washed out and all full of glare.
we turned out the flouresent lights and that improved it some, not much, but some.
his monitor for his customer area is a wally world cheapy and I brought it home and have it connected to my machine next to my dell u2711 screen and you would never believe that you were seeing the same frame on the two screens.
I have played with the monitor adjustments and can get nowhere.
I have changed all kinds of lighting and color adjustments within the animation and get nowhere.
I have concluded that he needs a quality monitor.
am I correct?

0071.png

Last edited:
If it's an old monitor, the circuitry can go bad beyond adjustment.

I would recommend a large 1080p IPS screen, or higher resolution, depending on the source resolution.

On a serious note, I've recapped older monitors and gotten really good results. I have an old Westinghouse 19" that finally just stopped at 7 years old. I recapped it 5 years ago for $5.50 and it's in my bedroom and works like a charm.

it's a cheapy that came with a cheapy, wally world system, he's ordering a better monitor.
you really do have to think about monitors about like speakers, they are the device that sends you the signal, better a thousand dollar monitor on a cheapy system, rather than the other way around.

added single frame pic to first post.

Its hard to say what went wrong without a picture, but if you can't get it close to what it looks like on other sets, then something was likely wrong with the monitor in the first place.

The picture is all wrong. You need letters to be very clearly visible for an advertisement. At least add some black outline or shadow to the words. Not thick, but just so it highlights the word against the background.

Picture looks like "we do your brakes or you go to heaven"

I thought about outlining the lower letters but, on a good screen and the small room it's in and the stuff that's around the screen it works, catches your attention without being "in your face" like a neon sign would be.
one of the things I can see that needs to go are the reflections above the letters in the center stripe, you may not be able to see them in the very low resolution I had to use to get it to upload on the site.
look above the "W".

Back