• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maybe you can explain this, because I can't - overheating?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FNSmyC

Registered
Alright, heres the deal. I'll start w/ my specs

IS7 w/ 2.4c, Corsair 256x2 3200LL, R9700p, WD 40gb w/ 8mb cache, Chieftec case. I also have the newest IS7 bios.

As for my cooling... I have a Zalman CNPS-7000cu w/ Arctic Ceramique, and 5 case fans (2 of them being 39cfm, all of them 80mm) and a Fotron 300w PSU w/ 120mm fan. 2 fans in front, one on the side window, and 2 in the back.

Alright, I overclocked my CPU on Friday. I set divider to 5:4, and fsb to 225, locked the AGP ratio, and upped the CPU voltage to 1.6. Well, I was at 2.7ghz for friday and saturday and most of sunday no prob. Temps might have risen 1c. I was getting about 20c case, 41-42c max cpu, and I don't even know about the Northbridge I didn't pay much attention to it. Well this morning, my friend was playing this flash game on my comp, and it started making those beeps. So I told him to open Winbond Hardware Doctor....and my temps were really high. I took a screen shot...check it out...
Bad temps image :(

My case temps has never been that high before, usually it stays around 30-32 when gaming. And my Northbridge temps were really high, and that was what was throwing the beeps. And my CPU temps were about 3-5c higher than usual.

Alright, what I don't understand, is how it was running perfectly find for 2 whole days, under just as much strain as always, and then all of a sudden it starts acting up this morning. Ambient room temp was the same, I even turned the a/c down even more, but still it was acting up. Can anybody help me w/ this? Could it have anything to do w/ my PSU? I noticed the 12v was a little low. HELP please!

did a fan stop working? is a heatsink loose? is one out of place? have you run prime 95? if not run that and then tell us your temps.

It is perfectly normal to see a temperature rise after you overclock.

Your 2.4C's heat output at 2.4Ghz, 1.5v was 75w. At 2.7Ghz and 1.6v, it rises to 95w.

The Zalman's aircooling mobo C/W was 0.18, so 20w x 0.18C/w is around 3~4C increase in temperature.

Which is exactly what you are seeing.

Last edited:
Yes I expected the temps to get higher, but here's my deal. Why was it fine for Friday saturday and sunday, but then this morning it decided to act up even after only being on for maybe 30 minutes. I was playing games like it was nothing on Friday and Saturday, and temps looked fine. But all of a sudden, its unmanagable. My friend accidently kicked my case last night, could that have messed up the sitting of the heatsink on the CPU? He didn't kick a hole in it or knock it over, but he was getting up and his foot ran into it. That's the only thing I can think of, the only thing that was different. Same games, same room temp, same equipment...I can't figure it out.

so your temps stayed the same at first after the overclock for 2 days, but then after your friend kicked it, your temps rose 3C?

if that was what happened, then check the seating of the heatsink again.

sounds quite strange anyway.

Back