• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memory use in different slots

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krusty

Insane Overclocking Clown
A friend of mine is getting an Epox 8kta3+ pro (or something like that that uses sdram) and wants to get 1.5 to 2 gigs of ram to use in his system instead of having a swap file.

My first question: Will this work efficiently? He's going to be using some memory intensive programs such as 3d studio max and photoshop.

My second (and more important) question: If he goes and gets some crucial 512mb pc133 memory to put in slot 0 and gets cheap memory to fill the rest of the slots, how will that affect his system? The idea is that the computer might allocate memory to his crucial dimm before using any of the cheap memory. Does memory allocation function like that and will that work good?

I have not seen a system that has run w/o a swapfile. Even if your friend has 2Gig of ram I don't think it will work. The best thing he can do is set the min & max to 128Mb. The crucial ram will not perform to it's maximum with cheaper ram installed with it. It'll only work as fast as the slowest stick he puts in. Or I can be wrong:D

Back