• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Merom in Acer 5672 (Pics Inside)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Gautam said:
More battery life but more heat? :confused:

Sort of weird...I guess the Merom has better power conserving technologies in place than the Yonah.

Yeah, i can't figure it out either. At first i thought maybe bad contact with the heatpipe, but that's not it :confused:

I guess it's also worthwhile to note that it is about 10F hotter daily inside than it was when i was using Yonah daily. But it certainly does run hotter overall :mad:

These notebooks (Acer 5672) are already known to run pretty hot as is, so this is somewhat concerning. I run my laptop 24/7, and so far so good. Seeing just how low i can undervolt right now and still leave it on "Always On" power scheme :)

hey sucka, i know i pm'd u about this before but i tried using 3 different programs to undervolt and none of them actually did it. in cpu-z the only voltages i hit are .95 and 1.20- what program specifically are you useing? thx

There are a few things you can use. Including RM Clock to change settings for different modes, at boot up and all that good stuff. I typically leave my laptop on most of the time, so i just set it using CrystalCPUID each time i reboot/start the laptop. I just set it down each step and run some PI until it froze/BSOD, did that till i found as low as it would go. For me, it cuts down a lot of heat.

stockvoltage.jpg

undervolt.jpg

thx i got rmclock to work and am running my yonah @ 1.6ghz - .975v, an amazing decrease from stock 1.6ghz -1.26v. its awesome i can actually use my touchpad now w/o burning myself- it actually runs cool like a nice notebook thx :)

maxxoverclocker said:
thx i got rmclock to work and am running my yonah @ 1.6ghz - .975v, an amazing decrease from stock 1.6ghz -1.26v. its awesome i can actually use my touchpad now w/o burning myself- it actually runs cool like a nice notebook thx :)

Good to hear. RM Clock seems to work well for many, but i prefer Crystal just because i leave mine running for hours at a time, i don't mind undervolting on each reboot.

You got it at 1.66 @ .975v, or 1.26?!?! My Merom runs (by default) at .950v when on power saving mode (1GHz). 1.038 is the lowest i can get it at full bore. I can get it even lower on battery :)

And yes, these things are insanely hot. I can't emphasize that enough to anyone considering this notebook. Even undervolted, well ventilated, it still gets pretty hot.

Sucka said:
Good to hear. RM Clock seems to work well for many, but i prefer Crystal just because i leave mine running for hours at a time, i don't mind undervolting on each reboot.

You got it at 1.66 @ .975v, or 1.26?!?! My Merom runs (by default) at .950v when on power saving mode (1GHz). 1.038 is the lowest i can get it at full bore. I can get it even lower on battery :)

And yes, these things are insanely hot. I can't emphasize that enough to anyone considering this notebook. Even undervolted, well ventilated, it still gets pretty hot.

hehe ive got it running 1.66ghz @ .975v and power saving at 1.0ghz @ .95v- it sucks because i KNOW i could get it stable @ even lower voltages on power saving mode but the lowest it allows is .95 volts (btw 1.66ghz @ .975v is dual prime stable for as long as i let it run {2 hours} i didn't let it run longer because i primed it @ 2:00 where it was 92 degrees inside -_- lol it was only hitting 56c on core 1 and 51c core 2) im very happy with this laptop and even more-so with the undervolt (feels kinda like overclocking cept.. ur not lol)

You have a magical Yonah if it runs at .95v @ 1.66GHz. I would be willing to bet it's the only one in the world :p

I would love to see some screenies. The Merom runs at a much lower voltage and even mine can't reach those voltages. My 1.66GHz didn't even come close to .95v @ full speed. It didn't even get close to what the Merom can as a matter of fact.

Sucka said:
You have a magical Yonah if it runs at .95v @ 1.66GHz. I would be willing to bet it's the only one in the world :p

I would love to see some screenies. The Merom runs at a much lower voltage and even mine can't reach those voltages. My 1.66GHz didn't even come close to .95v @ full speed. It didn't even get close to what the Merom can as a matter of fact.

hehe then im sure glad to have it- might get me some money for merom when they get to reasonable prices. here's a videoclip of the chip in action, (figured it'd be more believeable) i didn't think that it was all that amazing- thx for pointing it out sucka.

http://prochaskagalleries.com/SNAG-0001.avi - x264 813kb 29sec.

edit: just a note the chip does 1.66ghz @ .975v not .95

maxxoverclocker said:
hehe then im sure glad to have it- might get me some money for merom when they get to reasonable prices. here's a videoclip of the chip in action, (figured it'd be more believeable) i didn't think that it was all that amazing- thx for pointing it out sucka.

http://prochaskagalleries.com/SNAG-0001.avi - x264 813kb 29sec.

edit: just a note the chip does 1.66ghz @ .975v not .95

That's awsome man. I couldn't get mine anywhere near that. Not even the Merom will dip that low :thup:

When you get a chace, how about a comparision with/without undervolting? Would be interested in battery times. I'm at about 2:20 for my max bat life. Kinnda dissapointing, but on target if not slighly higher than most :-/

Sucka said:
That's awsome man. I couldn't get mine anywhere near that. Not even the Merom will dip that low :thup:

When you get a chace, how about a comparision with/without undervolting? Would be interested in battery times. I'm at about 2:20 for my max bat life. Kinnda dissapointing, but on target if not slighly higher than most :-/

sure, here's what i got (using rmclock to monitor battery life because the acer utility said 3 hours and 33 minutes and i didn't believe that for a second)

Everything below is all features on (wlan, bt, etc.) and under load means P95. (ATI Powerplay on Maximum Battery life)

Idle=Stock Volts : 1.0ghz (throttled to 750mhz) @ 0.950v - 2:29
Load=Undervolted : 1.6ghz @ 0.975v - 2:06 :cool:
Load=Stock Volts : 1.6ghz @ 1.260v - 1:41

again i wish i could go lower than .95v but that's as low as it'll let me go

Not bad, pretty much what i'm seeing more or less.

You can always use crystalcpuid, it'll allow you to go as low as .70v

Xenocide said:
sucka is your 5672 loud?

because mine seems almost abnormal

Very quiet actually.

Fan almost never seems to never ramp up in speed. How are your temps?

not sure off hand. i just find the fan to be noisy in quiet rooms.

can't notice it over the maxtor hdd in the server that is in my room though

Does anyone know if the acer aspire 5612 wlmi supports a meron?
i now have an t2300 and want to put an t7200 or t7300
I think the hardware supports, but not sure if it haves a bios update.
I look every were but cant find the answer to my problem.
Please help me.

Back