• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microcenter - 3770k $229

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Dang...prices like this make me think about selling my 56x 2600K and getting one.

But I know I'd miss being able to bench high clocks on water. Plus I'd want to delid it if I got one...and if I screwed up I'd be sol.

Not really...either go cold, or delid. Liquid Pro on die and you're set.
You gotta cut in one motion with a very thin razor blade (Gillette double edged ones rock).

If you screw up you always have RTV Black sealant as your friend. :rolleyes:

Sweet! I could pick one up if somebody without access to Microcenter wants...

They're $248.96 with sales tax.

If the offer is still good I would love to get one of these. Are all MC prices this good??? It makes me wish we had them around here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't find how to contact the person that may be willing to pick one of these up for me. Is there a way to PM? Can I a post my email address?

Wisementrading, you can use the "edit" button towards the bottom left of each of your posts to change the text. If you happen to post two, then you can also choose to delete one of them by clicking edit, and choosing the delete option.

That said, my 3770k is clocking pretty well so far. After quick testing, the chip does 51x under my true (with a broken mounting piece) and the IMC does at least 2500 on air. Batch 3224. :)

I can't find how to contact the person that may be willing to pick one of these up for me. Is there a way to PM? Can I a post my email address?

Sure, you can post your email address. Don't post it like you normally write it tho, because bots will scan it and send you more spam email.

You can private message here, but it requires to have a few posts in the hardware or software sections first. The discussion sections of the site don't count towards post count.

Thanks to everyone who has responded with help. I have enjoyed looking around the site already.

My email address is <wahls>(at)wisementrading<dot>(com)

Would you guys say that this chip is as easily overclockable as a 2600K. My 2600K is currently running at 4.5GHz.

Yeah, I have mine running at 4.5. Depending on your cooling you may not get quite as high of an OC as the Ivy's run hotter but they are a little better clock for clock so it usually evens out. That said in my opinion it's not worth the money to go from a 2600k to a 3770k

I have a termalright 120 extreme push and pull. I could probably go higher, just didn't bother since 4.5 is more than enough for now. So you don't think it's worth it even with the discounted price? I would have thought that the 3770K would run cooler due to the lower power consumption and smaller manufacturing process (22nm vs 32nm).

I have a termalright 120 extreme push and pull. I could probably go higher, just didn't bother since 4.5 is more than enough for now. So you don't think it's worth it even with the discounted price? I would have thought that the 3770K would run cooler due to the lower power consumption and smaller manufacturing process (22nm vs 32nm).

yeah... well intel negated those advantaged with their own sillyness... the problem is physical. The physical design of the heatcap (or whatever you call that metal hat on the CPU) is flawed in the IB. The result is while they SHOULD be cooler chips, they do a really poor job dissipating that energy, and as a result heat up really quickly (in comparison to the SB).

You can supposedly fix the problem if you know what you're doing... but of course that's not without it's own risks of physically damaging the chip... so as a result, while the IB should be a "superior" chip... after it's weak overclocking results (which as i just said are because of temps), it's basically the same chip as the SB

Thanks, I guess i should cancel my order. Wanted to get it because of PCIe 3.0 support, but it is not currently necessary in my situation.

If you're not going to OC it, the IB is about 15% better then the SB... if you're going to OC it, they're about equal.

As a result, most people go with the IB, because of the PCI 3.0 support, and higher base performance. In the end they're basically identical in OC, otherwise the IB is a better chip. since you already have the SB, it does look more like a lateral move. If you were upgrading into an IB/SB from an older chip the advice to get the 3770k would be simple to give. since you already have the 2700k, there is really no point, as i don't think PCI 3.0 (a format no video card needs atm, since they don't even max the 2.0x8 format yet) is worth $220+

In 2 years we might see video cards which need PCI 3.0... though that's debatable.

I've decided to still get this as it seems to be a good deal and upgrade my brother's system from his current q6600 for his bday. Just need to find a nice mobo to compliment this chip. I'm guessing z77 is the chipset to go with.

Back