• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Micron Z9 based DDR3 blows away everything!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Reefa_Madness said:
You've clarified that when you posted "vast majority" you were referring to the DELL group. I countered that I believe that the majority of the DELL group will be using DDR3 in 3 years because that will be their only choice.

You don't think that there is any benefit to DDR3-2000 today and there won't be in 3 years either.

lets just agree to come back in three years and compare notes because otherwise, this is going nowhere.

Ok that's pretty specific. We can check it out in 3 years. :clap:

But I think in 3 years we will have the same trouble defining the "benefit"...that's why I want a 10% benefit over the last stable highest multi fsb.

I saw this and was blown away at the quickness DDR3 is scaling to higher speeds and equal or better equivalent 'real' latencies (made up of set latency and speed.) It's good news to see but I know I won't be going DDR3 until Nehalem or AMDs next-gen DDR3 platform. It does provide some benefits but I don't see myself buying an x38 board - it will be the last of the line for LGA775 - or DDR3 within the next year. Need to stop the constant upgrade habit and just use my computer :p It's very likely Penryn + x38 + DDR3 will be a good bost though...who knows maybe I will do that after all haha depending upon DDR3 prices.

DDR3 is fast, but the memory speed is linked into the FSB speed
and you cannot overclock a FSB so far the you do not need 1006DDR" as a maximum,
unless you use a multiplier to sperate the memory and the FSB, Which gives you faster memory.
So now with DDR3, we are going to have to rum the menoery at double the FSB or more.
I can see no need for ddr3 until we start to get higher clocking PEnryns or even netahlems. I think that ddr3 is a gimmick at the moment that will only be useful in a couple of years.

Last edited:
orion456,
The Nehalem they talked about in 2003 has nothing to do with Nehalem coming next year... Originally Nehalem was a codename for a Netburst derivate, since then the core was cancelled and the codename recycled.

largon said:
orion456,
The Nehalem they talked about in 2003 has nothing to do with Nehalem coming next year... Originally Nehalem was a codename for a Netburst derivate, since then the core was cancelled and the codename recycled.

It was more the prediction of 10 ghz that was amusing, no matter what you call it.

Reefa_Madness said:
By most accounts, the Promos based GSkills HKs is good stuff.
yeah, it will run 500MHz at stock timing, it take 2.3v to achive stability – but that’s not a prob, it’s actively cooled. The more I learn about overclocking the more I wish I had a nice set of d9’s that run great timing at those speeds. But that would push me into buying a new processor (my e6600 can’t break 3.930GHz to save it’s life) – it seems to be a never ending cycle.. you know? My equipment can break 13s in SuperPI on AIR. As shallow as that might be, that’s all I care about right now. :)

Reefa_Madness said:
Wonder why Micron has been practically giving away DDR1 and DDR2 with huge rebates?

Well, the answer my friends, is their new "Z9" chips used in DDR3.

How does 7-6-5-15 timings at DDR3-1600 and DDR3-2000 at 9-8-7-18 timings (at 2.25V) sound to you? :D
what about DDR3-1800 7-6-5-18 :)

Yes it's my first time playing with DDR3 platform :)

System:
  • Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 L627A872
  • Swiftech G4 Storm/Thermochill 120.3/MCP655
  • Asus Blitz Extreme 0601 bios
  • 128MB Gainward FX5200 PCI
  • 2x1GB OCZ PC3-14400 Platinum - DDR3-1800 rated at 8-8-8-27 at 1.9v
  • 500GB Seagate 7200.10 SATA on SATA1 Port
  • LiteOn 165H DVD Burner
  • Sony FDD
  • 1KW OCZ ProXStream
  • WinXP Pro SP2

I've only had the system setup in the last 48 hrs so still trying to find my way on this new DDR3 platform.

At stock mem speed and stock main timings of 900mhz 8-8-8-27 at 1.9v vdimm

superpi-32m_13m26s109ms.png

32M
everest_bandwidth.png

Tighten timings to 7-6-5-18 but still at 900mhz memory frequency.

superpi-32m_13m12s375ms.png

32M
everest_bandwidth_cpuz.png

1M
superpi-1m_13s875ms.png

Hello there, eva.

Thanks for that post...and keep them coming because I for one am very interested in your results and I know that there are others.

I'm very curious to see, when you are all done, for your opinion as to how the current crop of DDR3 compares to what's available in DDR2. It is in the early stages, but it seems to me that within a very short time it has become more competitive and maybe I should just go ahead and say, superior in performance to DDR2, whereas it took DDR2 much more time to surpass DDR1. That said, I don't think that I'm going out on a limb by saying that it bodes real well for DDR3 and that surely the best is yet to come.

Looking forward to more updates from you and this OCZ that you are testing. By the way, do you know for sure which chips it is using?

Reefa_Madness said:
Hello there, eva.

Thanks for that post...and keep them coming because I for one am very interested in your results and I know that there are others.

I'm very curious to see, when you are all done, for your opinion as to how the current crop of DDR3 compares to what's available in DDR2. It is in the early stages, but it seems to me that within a very short time it has become more competitive and maybe I should just go ahead and say, superior in performance to DDR2, whereas it took DDR2 much more time to surpass DDR1. That said, I don't think that I'm going out on a limb by saying that it bodes real well for DDR3 and that surely the best is yet to come.

Looking forward to more updates from you and this OCZ that you are testing. By the way, do you know for sure which chips it is using?
You're welcome Reefa :)

Not sure which Micron DDR3 chips they're using on OCZ PC3-14400 Platinum... trying to find out heh.

Yup with way DDR3 is going it can only get better very quickly now that Micron DDR3 ICs are out. Just need for price to come down I guess :)

The price needs to come down if they expect to sell many kits, that's for sure. The option to use DDR2 on both the P35 and X38 chipsets will just about guarantee that not many will switch to DDR3 if the prices don't drop from $500 per 2GB kit.

I would expect however, that they are simply following the normal pricing structure that is common in this industry (and many others) and the new stuff initially commands a premium.

Does the iPhone "ring" a bell???

so this DDR3 stuff is all about FSB, but we arent likely to see anything faster as in core speeds, its the mobo and cpu that limit that, all this is allowing is a lower multiplier and higher FSB for roughly the same clocks. thats kinda disappointing.

faster FSB is nice, but not as nice as a faster cpu speed.

ares350 said:
so this DDR3 stuff is all about FSB, but we arent likely to see anything faster as in core speeds, its the mobo and cpu that limit that, all this is allowing is a lower multiplier and higher FSB for roughly the same clocks. thats kinda disappointing.

faster FSB is nice, but not as nice as a faster cpu speed.

Just use a up divider. Who doesn't want faster ram speed? LOL

White_Pawn said:
Just use a up divider. Who doesn't want faster ram speed? LOL

Exactly. The days of running ram 1:1 with the front side bus are LONG gone. The faster the ram speed the better; whether it's running at 4:5 or running 10 times as fast as the fsb :)

-Collin-

can you run it though? I mean, the mobos are hitting a wall around 500FSB arent they? which I thought a good DDR2 could manage.

I think Im way off base here... is the ram speed ever even talked about? people talk about FSB and multiplier, I dont see anyone boasting their divider or memory speed, only the resulting FSB.

ares350 said:
can you run it though? I mean, the mobos are hitting a wall around 500FSB arent they? which I thought a good DDR2 could manage.

I think Im way off base here... is the ram speed ever even talked about? people talk about FSB and multiplier, I dont see anyone boasting their divider or memory speed, only the resulting FSB.
Ram speed is always an issue for overclockers, the faster the better! This is Overclockers Forums, the higher we can push the ram and any other part of our rigs, the better. :beer: It's not about "do I need it to go faster" It's all about "how can I make it go faster".:drool:

well I get that, but is the ram the limiting factor at this point, or is it the mobo and CPU?

I was rereading the anandtech article on the ram, it clarified it a bit, it seemed like they were unable to run a divider to actually take advantage of the 1600 or 2000 speeds, highest divider any bios offered was 1333. so they overclocked the cpu with a 1333 divider to net a 1600 and 2000 speed on the ram?

so for anyone that overclocks, you would never run a divider at the stated memory speed? you would always run a lower divider and overclock the cpu so the divider netted the fastest speed the ram could support?

this is all very confusing. it was all so simple when it was an athlon xp and PC3200 ram... FSB and multiplier, there was nothing more...

It is my understanding that when you are overclocking you would only use a divider when you have to. Like for instance when your cpu has reached it's limit you would use a divider to either push the FSB or the ram or both to there limit also.

Back