• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft Compression Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dimorphios

Registered
In most of the OS cds I have seen from Microsoft, all of the files in the I386 file look like WHATEVER.EX_ or WHATEVER.DL_ ect ect.. I am wondering what compression this is?? and if it can be recreated with any program?? both the extracts for it as well as compressing files....

- Dimorphios

I don't know what you can use to create these files, but you can extract them using the following.

From a dos prompt type for example:

expand WHATEVER.DL_ WHATEVER.DLL

As far as I know, the compression is a microsoft proprietary software. If you have some microsoft development tools or use the trick mentioned above are the only ways to do it.

Figured it out... you need a file called compress.exe came with older windows like 98 but can easily be found on the web... good for modding you XP install CD to have custom bootscreen and login logout screens right when you install instead of doing it later by hand.... cool stuff....

- dimorphios

Back