• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microwave oven Screen for Window Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tecumseh

Do any of you know where to get screen material like
on microwave ovens?

Your window mod may be causing a lot more EMI than
you believe. It would be cool to cover the inside of
the window with this screen to knock down the EMI
and have blue LEDs glowing inside.

Tell the friends that your PC was so OC'd that you
had to install a shield. :D

hmm i could use this for my monitor mods instead of the ugly tin foil i have wrapped around stuff now, lol.
anyone know where to find this stuff?

OK, there seems to be a misconception here.

The lower the frequency the thicker the shielding
needed to be. For low frequency stuff like pumps
at 50-60 Hz shielding the magnetic field would
require very thick metal or the stuff called mumetal.

For the high freq stuff the screens should work fine.

yeah thats a good idea, i have been wanting to mod my case with a window, but knowing what potential dangers the emi/emf can do, i have been kinda not ready to, but if you can find a place to get that stuff please let me know, then i will be able to mod without worrying at all.

you can try using bug screen(the metal stuff) and ground it to your case.
It also works good if you put it in front and back of fans :cool:
But dont forget that it has to be grounded to give rotection

Someone please explain the scientific principles behind EM shielding. Why does it need to be thicker for lower freq stuff? Why will just a screen suffice for high freq stuff?

couldnt you just use metal screen like from a screen door?

Somebody (can't remember who) is probably going to show up with a picture of his window-modded computer with this weird electro-glowing thing next to it.

Unless your monitor is right next to your computer, EMI isn't that much of an issue.

its not only a matter of emi/emf getting into your computer, but i think those of us who are concerned with it are mainly concerned with the emi/emf getting out of your computer. there are reasons that the gov. has regulations on how much emi/emf a product can emit and be called safe.
for 2 reasons you wouldn't want the emi/emf getting out, 1. potietial interfierence with other divices around it, and 2. possible damage over time to the person.

ColdMiser said:
Someone please explain the scientific principles behind EM shielding. Why does it need to be thicker for lower freq stuff? Why will just a screen suffice for high freq stuff?

This has to do with the way EM waves interact with the
electrons in the metal. Lower frequencies have a greater
penetration depth thus need a thicker shield.

As a practical thing you can't shield against 60 Hz. If
you have a pump or an old printer power brick causing
interferrence the only thing you can do is move it away.

The microwave screen or a tight-mesh bug screen should
be fine for keeping EM inside your PC.

there is noooooo need for keeping emf emi in side the computer

it doenst pump out nearly enogh to interfer with anything

mabey ifyou put your cordless phone right on the heatsink mabey youll get some static

but other than that there is no need to worry

but on the same notion, doesn't most of the emf come from the processor? so in theory if you were to ground the heatsink, it should block most of the emf.
maybe?

yea but if you shock the out side of your case it could fry your cpu

crash893 said:
yea but if you shock the out side of your case it could fry your cpu

ummmm, may i ask how?

in theory, the shock would go to the ground before the processor i would think...

My Matrox dual head video card came with a ground wire on the heatsink (and no fan)...it has a plugin for the wire built into the card's circuitry. Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea for the cpu.

My $.02

... right under your noses all the time, unless you've already thrown them out. The anti-static bags your motherboards usually come in, also shield from RF if you can find a way to ground it to the case.

that is a really good idea about the anti static bags... and i think you are right...

and with the grounded heat sink, yeah i think that would work, i am going to run a ground to mine tonight, will tell you tommorrow if it had any bad effects

Back