• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mini-external HD not registering...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tLove

So I have this mini external HD from Western Digital, 40gigs. I had it plugged in for awhile on my desktop and it was working fine.

I had it unplugged for a bit, then plugged it into my laptop and now nothing is registering. The light lites up on the drive, and windows makes the normal "do-doo" sound as if a USB is being plugged in. However nothing is coming up at all. I can't see it, and yea... nothing.

Suggestions?:confused: Help please? Lots of data/pictures on there. Thanks!

Need more info - platforms, filesystem type, whether it was properly dismounted before switching computers, etc. Did you try hooking it up to the desktop again?

Need more info - platforms, filesystem type, whether it was properly dismounted before switching computers, etc. Did you try hooking it up to the desktop again?

Its a PC drive. Filetype system? I think FAT32. And something tells me it wasn't disconnected properly (right click to disable hardware safely etc).

No I havn't because the desktop is actually several hundred miles away right now.

(Its actually a friends drive, I just wrote it like it was mine to keep the post simple).

is it one of the passport drives, i have the same exact problem with mine.....i think the usb port on my mobo went to **** and funked up my hdd.

Hmmm... that doesn't help me. Yea, I've tried it in a few different computers now and still nothing. Computer makes a sound signaling that a new USB is connected, but nothing after that.

Please any thoughts!?!

Back