• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Minor mod - PC power switch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-Ice

I'd like to mod my setup so that I can have the PC power switch in a more accessible location. Currently, the PC sits just off my left leg and it has to be in that general vicinity so that I can easily reach the switches. I'd like to build a "cockpit" for my flight simming and would like to position the case in front of my feet, facing sideways. Basically, the side intake fan would be taking air in from my footwell. Obviously, this makes reaching the power button quite difficult. I was hoping to be able to wire something and attach it to the underside of my monitor table so that I can turn the PC on/off from there.

Unfortunately, I have very little modding experience and even less electronics experience so any detailed, newbie help is appreciated! Thanks!

Normally open momentary contact switch of choice and 2 wires to the stock power switch pins on the motherboard. Easy. :)

Is there a guide for this? I have an idea of what needs to be done but no idea what materials to use.... and also afraid of wrecking my case :(

You don't have to do anything with your case so toss that fear aside.

Er, I meant with the power switch/cable/whatever it is I need to alter in the case to make this work.

You don't have to alter anything. Unplug 1 connector, plug in the one you're going to make with your new switch. You don't even have to make a connector if you don't want. You could just use Scotchlocks on the original power switch wires.
There is no guide for something like this. I can give you instructions and draw you a little pic if you like.

Last edited:
If you are using a keyboard with your setup, many motherboards allow you to turn on the computer by just pressing a button on your keyboard. You have to enable this in BIOS and select the key or keys (password) you want to press to turn it on. No modifications required.

Back