• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobile Pentium 4 on a desktop computer stuck in "battery-optimized" mode

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kobie

Mobile Pentium 4 on a desktop computer stuck in "battery-optimized" mode

A few days ago I ordered an Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz processor to replace my old 2.4 GHz. I just now received it and put it into my machine. It ran perfectly fine, but when I checked what clock frequency it was operating at I found that it was only going at 1.6 GHz. Annoyed, I subsequently discovered that the part I ordered which I had thought was for desktops was actually the mobile version and it was stuck in "battery-optimized" mode which limited it to 1.6 GHz.

I've been looking around trying to figure out how to disable battery-optimized mode so it runs at 2.8 GHz instead of 1.6 GHz but I haven't had any success and I really don't have much experience with this sort of thing so I decided to post here for your guys' advice. How would I do this? Is it even possible? Note that my motherboard does not support SpeedStep. It also doesn't support Hyper-Threading which the processor has as well (again unbeknownst to me). What are the drawbacks, if any, of using a mobile processor in a desktop motherboard? Should I just send this piece back and order the right one? I would rather not go through the hassle but if I can't get this CPU past 2.4 GHz it's worthless to me.

Update:

As far as I can find out, this problem cannot be remedied through software or BIOS means. However, there is one possible apparent hardware solution which, unfortunately, I have absolutely no clue about. Can anyone interpret this? (and the posts below it):

Adjusting the multiplier on a P-4 Northwood

As well as here:

Max. mulitplier P4 mobile

A few people pulled it off successfully. How would whatever the hell they're talking about be done? :p

Thanks.

Last edited:
the short of it is this... P4 mobiles use EIST function to save battery, desktop P4's never got EIST function. there for desktop chipset dont support EIST function, leaving you locked at the lowest multi. main reason some here chose the P4 mobiles for that reason is cause they have/had high fsb clocking boards to make use of the 16x multi.

there is no way around it to get the function enabled, unless you have a board that has a mobile chipset for the mobile cpu.

the link you found is changing the multi with a mobile chip in a mobile board. it is not going to work for a mobile chip in a desktop board. as the desktop boards do not support EIST.

the short of it is this... P4 mobiles use EIST function to save battery, desktop P4's never got EIST function. there for desktop chipset dont support EIST function, leaving you locked at the lowest multi. main reason some here chose the P4 mobiles for that reason is cause they have/had high fsb clocking boards to make use of the 16x multi.

there is no way around it to get the function enabled, unless you have a board that has a mobile chipset for the mobile cpu.

the link you found is changing the multi with a mobile chip in a mobile board. it is not going to work for a mobile chip in a desktop board. as the desktop boards do not support EIST.

I see. Thanks for the info!

Back