• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modding Intel (Celly) Retail HSF to fit 486...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

markedmundb

Got a 486DX2-66 system cheap as a backup system for when my main system dies (as it does sometimes)...

Fitted 40Mb of RAM (that was sitting in a drawer from my P1 days), a 1.6Gb Hard disk (that was sitting in another drawer), my 32x CD Rom drive (also sitting in a drawer) and stuck my old ISA soundcard in. Running Win 98 (Slowly!). Got jumper settings from the Net, but before I OC, i want to get proper cooling fitted at the mo, it's no better than a BX greenie, without even a fan fitted.

The problem I have is trying to fit the Celly HSF to the socket3. It has 2 lugs at opposite sides... I'm wondering the practicality of fitting the HSF to the CPU. All ideas (apart from gluing- accepted!)

markedmundb (Apr 07, 2001 02:40 p.m.):
Got a 486DX2-66 system cheap as a backup system for when my main system dies (as it does sometimes)...

Fitted 40Mb of RAM (that was sitting in a drawer from my P1 days), a 1.6Gb Hard disk (that was sitting in another drawer), my 32x CD Rom drive (also sitting in a drawer) and stuck my old ISA soundcard in. Running Win 98 (Slowly!). Got jumper settings from the Net, but before I OC, i want to get proper cooling fitted at the mo, it's no better than a BX greenie, without even a fan fitted.

The problem I have is trying to fit the Celly HSF to the socket3. It has 2 lugs at opposite sides... I'm wondering the practicality of fitting the HSF to the CPU. All ideas (apart from gluing- accepted!)

Might want to just forego the clip and epoxy the HSF to the CPU. If you use the Arctic Silver epoxy and dilute it with some Arctic Silver grease (and give it time to set) It will stay put but still give the option of later removal. I'm assuming about a 50/50 mix, but you might wait to hear from someone who has done this. :cool:

Artic silver Epoxy - overkill city for a 486, methinks. although I would use the Silver Goop, as it's the only Thermal compound I've got.

BTW I said no glue, doesn't anyone read anything anymore? :¬)}

Back