• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monitor as a TV?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathScyth_Hell

I know this might sound stupid but is there anyway to make my monitor to become a tv?...without using a desktop....

"Without using a desktop"... that is confusing me.

But anyways, yes you can buy a tv card for your computer and you just plug the cable into the tvcard and then you can watch cable TV on your computer monitor.

Is that what you were asking?

no i mean without an actua computer just using the monitor as a tv....i did a search...and i can use up-converters to make my monitor to a tv set

but which one is good?

Do you know which one is best for this??...i cant find any reviews on net for any up converters....can anyone help?

DeathScyth_Hell said:
Do you know which one is best for this??...i cant find any reviews on net for any up converters....can anyone help?
Such convertors generally don't exist as affordable products because at the price of a convertor you could simply buy a cheap TV.

I think I saw something like what your asking for at bestbuy, it was 120 US dollars though. it was in the same section as the LCDs

CrazyP said:
I think I saw something like what your asking for at bestbuy, it was 120 US dollars though. it was in the same section as the LCDs
That's probably a scan convertor which only works THE OTHER way around. I.E. displaying a VGA or DVI signal on a TV.

His goal may be saving space more than budget.

I have myself been very tempted by some of those 17-19" LCDs that come with a built-in TV tuner.

When I lived in the dorms, one of the greatest things was my add-in TV tuner cards (a pretty neat concept in 1995). My bulky 17" CRT saved me from an additionaly bulky TV. :)

On that NewEgg item, I noticed that there's a pass-through for VGA. That's really good. You could then pass your normal VGA signal through it and not have to mess with cabling. Nice that it comes with a remote, too.

Interestingly enough, that costs less than the STB tuner I bought in 1995 for $100 and appears to have better quality and more functionality. :)

-- Paul

Back