• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More longhorn Pics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Is this the version of Windows that's supposed to come with a little remote control in the box, so one could start/stop any sort of media content on their machine? I think it's supposed to work like the old NES Duckhunt game, not sure though.

For those who didn't look, if you thought XP was for n00bs, then you'd best crap your pants now - "Longhorn" is Microsoft for "Uber-n00bs of Doom".

Nope, the remote thing is the XP media center edition . This ( Longhorn) will likely have it built in or have a mediacenter edition of itself selling seperate .

Speculation is that this will debut in 2003 . The next truly new windows will come out in 2005 . Of all the speculation and statements from MS regarding longhorn it is now up in the air as to which features will be in the 2003 version and which will only appear in 2005 . In fact one has to wonder if the 2003 release will be "Longhorn" or just called XP second edition ( which it will likely be ; same basic code ) or is Longhorn the 2005 release name ?

i've seen computers advertised as coming with windows xp media center edition... personally i think it will flop as much as windows me... i think it's uncessary... i can't believe they could think up enough to make a media center edition... i mean what does winxp home/pro not have that they can still add?? (besides a remote)

i am guessing that longhorn is just the code name... just like windows xp wasn't always windows xp :D they have all these code names... i think it's hilarious... do you know why in the world they have code names anyway? i don't see the point that much except for maybe if the software sucks and then they fix it, they don't have the name recognition of it sucking

mbentley said:
i've seen computers advertised as coming with windows xp media center edition... personally i think it will flop as much as windows me... i think it's uncessary... i can't believe they could think up enough to make a media center edition... i mean what does winxp home/pro not have that they can still add?? (besides a remote)

i am guessing that longhorn is just the code name... just like windows xp wasn't always windows xp :D they have all these code names... i think it's hilarious... do you know why in the world they have code names anyway? i don't see the point that much except for maybe if the software sucks and then they fix it, they don't have the name recognition of it sucking

You have to call it something.
"Windows;32bit;kernel173;build3823;nonrelease;alpha" is not catchy.

"Geez, that Windows;32bit;kernel173;build3823;nonrelease;alpha looks great. I think i'll buy that." vs. "Longhorn looks great, I think i'll buy it when it comes out."

"A rose by any other name.."

Johnny Knoxville said:
from the screenshots it looks like it's gonna absolutely suck. This could be the new ME.

haha that's what i was thinking, but remember my days of beta testing for aol, their first betas they release to us beta testers looked pretty much like the previous version of aol... everything was pretty much internal... the last thing to change was the look of it all... hopefully they'll pull out some stops once they get all the internal coding done.

I'm not one for neat things and toys in an OS, but when I first saw the one screencap of the start menu, i thought it had some transparency going on there. That would be cool if it did, but it's just the overlay of the picture.

ThePerfectCore said:
For those who didn't look, if you thought XP was for n00bs, then you'd best crap your pants now - "Longhorn" is Microsoft for "Uber-n00bs of Doom".

All I can say is :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I highly doubt the authenticity of at least some of those pictures. On the other hand, why would somebody take the time to alter some pictures and create some real ones too? That one that shows "System Information" in System Tools says Windows 2000 Professional, not Longhorn and not XP. Mine says XP, so that ones hould too, and if not, it certainly shouldn't show 2000 Pro. But then why do some show XP and some show 2000 Pro and some show Longhorn. What's the dealio?

Z

on my box it doesnt say 2000 anywhere that i've seen, and im not sure about that dx9.0 thing

It just looks like an extremely user-friendly version of XP.

Does anyone think there will be a reason to upgrade?

FunkDaMonkMan said:
It just looks like an extremely user-friendly version of XP.

Does anyone think there will be a reason to upgrade?

from what i have seen, i would say no, but you never know what features they are going to add... it might be better... who knows.

the only thing it looks like they've changed so far is the skin, and that odd bar with the clock. I doubt many will upgrade based on that, but there may be some features added that would make it a good upgrade. Security would be nice :D

haha that's what i was thinking, but remember my days of beta testing for aol, their first betas they release to us beta testers looked pretty much like the previous version of aol... everything was pretty much internal... the last thing to change was the look of it all... hopefully they'll pull out some stops once they get all the internal coding done.

Jesus, that'd be like... I don't even know. AOL Beta? That's the scum you wipe off of scum. :eek:

ThePerfectCore said:

Jesus, that'd be like... I don't even know. AOL Beta? That's the scum you wipe off of scum. :eek:

haha you said it right there... i stopped beta testing for aol about taht time i joined these forums :) i figured this would be a better investment of my time... plus aol is just being ridiculous. they are just about putting out new software all the time without perfecting a version. plus, beta testing for aol often times made my computer unstable... they had crappy files that would love to start with windows and the would always seem to cause problems... after doing a clean install of windows, nothing of the sort happens like that anymore :) but i am not complaining... just saying they have some of the most unstable software i have ever seen. unfortunately my dad still has aol even though he has cable modem access at home... he still likes the features aol has so he uses that... plus he has a lot of stuff hosted in his aol member website so changing it all would be a big hassle for him... i guess it's a big enough hassle to pay the $21 a month for it... oh well... not my money...

one of my clients put in the aol cd and decided to try it out. after the free trial ran out, noone told them that he had to cancel the account (or, if someone did, he didn't hear them). So, he decided to just start using it, he didn't know any better. I show up to fix an unrelated problem, and i see that he had it installed, i questioned him about it. He said it was ok, but it was expensive. It turns out that the aol rep had given him a long distance number that he was connecting to. I quickly deleted his account at AOL and created him one at another place.

It would be interesting to start a thread about "AOL horror stories"..

If a machine has AOL installed, and the machine has a software problem, I almost always assume it is an AOHell related problem. It is difficult to explain to someoe that the software that they pay $21 a month for is the root of their problem.

Back