• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More thoughts about my freezer deal.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CreePinG_DeatH_reverted

Registered
Ok... so there is the freezer... 4 sides and a bottom. If I am going to use this as a water resevoir, I thought I better maximize the cooling part of the water. So what about this....

5 giant waterblocks fitted for the sides and bottom and setup to run in sequence. First the warm used water is dumped into the middle of the freezer. Then the water is then sucked through the bottom, then the sides, and back into the computer. I mean even a small freezer should be able to handle the heat load of the cpu, gpu, and northbridge right? Because if you just have a big tank of water, it won't be cooled nearly as much. Am I wrong?

not sure I'm following this.....are you suggesting filling the fridge with water? You'd have to turn it on it's back? If I'm correct, the compressor would burn out quickly as all the oil would not stay inside the thing.

Shadow ÒÓ (May 20, 2001 06:35 p.m.):
not sure I'm following this.....are you suggesting filling the fridge with water? You'd have to turn it on it's back? If I'm correct, the compressor would burn out quickly as all the oil would not stay inside the thing.

Hahaha my bad... no dood... It's a top loading deep freezer. Just as smooth metal walls.

Air is hard to keep cold. An empty freezer works harder than a full one.
If you fill the empty space in the freezer with block of ice you should be able to cool a cpu. I take it you want to put a large resevoire in the free with some kind of anti-freeze to circulate through the water blocks.

I have been doing the same thing for some time now with very good results. It does take a bigger freezer then you would think to keep a cpu cool. Freezers are not meant to deal with a contant heat load but rather a gradually sinking one. My freezer is about 1/2 full of water/antifreeze which is about 15 gallons and will hold the water at -12C running prime 95 at 1656mhz. Click on the home icon under my name for more details.

Ok- you guys aren't understanding me so I will take it upon myself to try to explain it better... to dumify it a little if you will.

Ok. Say the freezer is a square foot on each side, and the bottom. I would then place a large water block to cover the entire side and bottom. For ease of calculations, we'll say that in the water block I am using 1 inch channels. So the cooling length would be 12 feet on each waterblock... so 4 sides plus one bottom equals 60 feet of cooling distance... I think that 60 feet should be more than adequate. Is this easier for you guys?

CreePinG_DeatH (May 20, 2001 10:29 p.m.):
Ok- you guys aren't understanding me so I will take it upon myself to try to explain it better... to dumify it a little if you will.

Ok. Say the freezer is a square foot on each side, and the bottom. I would then place a large water block to cover the entire side and bottom. For ease of calculations, we'll say that in the water block I am using 1 inch channels. So the cooling length would be 12 feet on each waterblock... so 4 sides plus one bottom equals 60 feet of cooling distance... I think that 60 feet should be more than adequate. Is this easier for you guys?

60' is enough length in the water path for the cooling but the part that is not adequate is the ability of the compressor in a small freezer to deal with the heatload of a 75-100 watt cpu. You need a good size unit to do this, 5 cubic foot at a minimum.

Oh yea I know that... The models I am looking at are a 5.3 and a 10 Cubic foot freezer. I was just using the one foot deal as a reference in explaining how it would work.

Also- does anyone think it is possible to get a second compressor and rearrange the tubing so that each compressor only handles half of the heat load for the freezer?

Like if I got a 5 ft^3 freezer and got an identical compressor, would I be able to rig it so each compressor does half?

ya you can run 2 together , but it wont ever be 50-50 unless you split the line and feed both of them simultaniuosly , insted of inline 1 behind the other, also , why use the blocks? why not just dump the water in the freezer , or better yet , dissassemle it and stick the evap. in a resivoir? the first one I made used " blue ice" to take up the airspace ,,it worked well if you gave it a 5-15 minute head start depending on the ambient temp.

Blue ice? you mean that slushy stuff? I don't take the evaporator out because the freezer keeps everything nice and neat already. The waterblocks would help cool the water better in my opinion. I mean if you just dumped the water into the freezer, the pump wouldn't be able to guarantee the coldest water on the components. The water on the sides will be cool, but the warm water dumped into the freezer will just bring the temps up. As opposed to having the pump syphon the water through the water blocks where it will stay cold guaranteed.

And I was a moron... I shouldn't get 2 condensors... I should just get one twice the strength... that would make a lot more sense lol.

Back