• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard damaging memory which then damges other mobos?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Of course why would you think I havent?

I'm just re-capping because I left out a few details so if anyone is trying to help they can have all the data.

I appreciate everything that was said, but what do you think I'm missing or not doing beyond simply RMA-ing the board and CPU? At this point all I can do is run Mem-Test and in doing so it's seems to have eliminated my original fear there was something specifically wrong with the M2N's dual channel slots which I thought was damaging memory which then in-turn damaged other motherboards.

I can see where the "Re-cap" may have seemed like I was saying "are you listenting" it was simply that a re-cap so I and anyhone helping can look at the temporal events.

If I missed something or don't seem grateful (Iam thank you ALL!) please enlighten me? :(

OK this thread is coming to a conclusion because it's mystery which may never be resolved. Here's where I'm at I ran the kit in question as I got it back yesterday. First I ran a kit of Super Talent 12-hours 22-passes error free on the motherboard I thought to be problematic my M2N32-SLI> I got the Crucial Ballistix yesterday and I've been running it now for 45 passes 24-hours but I took a photo at 42-passes 22hours also error free. This si whats the curcial did in someone elses systems;

"I tried that ram in 2 different DFI mobo,s. The first being the DFI Infinity 975x/g which at the time was running 2 sticks of OCZ. The system just produced long beeps. I cleared cmos and restarted and again just long beeps. Removed your ram replaced the OCZ system restarted. I then placed the ram in a DFI Infinnnity 965-S and the system strated but got to boot screen where amount of memory is tested and it would drag. Shut down and cleared cmos a number of times. After a hour of trying, I ffinally got the system to run memtest from disc in cdrom. It failed instantly. Tried several times, only to get same results. This mobo had been running Patriot ram. I replaced my Patriot ram back in system only to have the system get to desktop and reboot, not matter what I tried system would not run. I raised vcore, vdimm nothing solved the problem. This is the mobo being RMAed. It ran ffine before installing The CB ram...I even tried it in a ASUS P5WD2 mobo just to see if it was a issue with DFI and that system would not start. I placed the Patriot ram in it and the system started...clearing cmos did not get that ram to run in 3 different mobos..."

Now here's the Crucial ballistix in the P5W DH;

Attachments

• Mem-Test_Crucial_Pc2-800_42Passes 004a.jpg
    Mem-Test_Crucial_Pc2-800_42Passes 004a.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 362
Problem narrowed down and it looks like my theory may in fact be true. The Memory is totally erroring out in the M2N32-SLI, but why would it pass in the Intel P5W DH system after 22-hours? What is the difference between the two platforms causing the crucial to fail in the M2N32-SLI rig?

Thios leads me to believe something is radically wrong here? But how Why?

It must be because I ran the memory at 700MHz in the Intel system and when the memory runs at speed or higher VDIMM it fails?

Actually I owe someone an apology because I did begin to have doubts after I ran Crucial on the P5W DH for 22-hours with NO errors? I guess anyone might be confounded because the memory it still booting and running on both boards, but obviosuly it's failing mem-test on the M2N32-SLI which leads me to believe somehow it's the board, CPU and memory? How can I be sure the CPU's memory-controller isn't damaged?

Attachments

• Mem_Test_M2N32SLI_Crucial_DIIM12_FAIL 036a.jpg
    Mem_Test_M2N32SLI_Crucial_DIIM12_FAIL 036a.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 369
Last edited:
Found the cuase. A warning to anyone still using BIOS 903. 1st of all 903 was deleted from Asus BIOS files just 2-weeks after it's release replaced with 1001 BETA there are no notes for what 1001 does. But here's some clues under BIOS history for 903 as it states "Improve Memory Stability"...once a version has been removed instead of left in the download section this is usually indicative something is wrong, they don't want people using that BIOS...

Attachments

• BIOS_versions_Asus.jpg
    BIOS_versions_Asus.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 596
sounds like a bios flash is in order, should get you on your way.

also, bear in mind that different mems sometimes work just fine and dandy and are nice and compatible with things in general, however, some mems just don't like running on certain boards no matter what timings you change. lots of stories in that regard.....

that said, hopefully the newer bios will solve your probs....

laterzzzz....

sounds like a bios flash is in order, should get you on your way.

also, bear in mind that different mems sometimes work just fine and dandy and are nice and compatible with things in general, however, some mems just don't like running on certain boards no matter what timings you change. lots of stories in that regard.....

that said, hopefully the newer bios will solve your probs....

laterzzzz....

Thnks for replying, but the issue was resoved some time ago. BIOS 1001 (I think) rectified things..

I was very upset about that BIOS which absolutely damaged some memory and damaged the memory to the point when it was placed in another boards, damaged thast board. Thuis is all documented.

I may have a copy of that BIOS for someone to look at who knows the language. It would be very interesting to see what went wrong.

Back