• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard may be faulty, comp won't start, which mobo to b

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Noplay

1) 3 weeks ago my computer wouldn't turn on after power surge,
- replaced a new PSU and it work for a few days
- cleaned the dust from the HSF when I installed the new PSU along with everything
2) Then I started hearing an increasingly loud fan noise from the CPU HSF
-the noise was super loud and felt like it would explode anytime soon
- during start up, run for 2-3 seconds reboots, did it 2 times and eventually stopped altogether (I thought it was overheating),so I took off the Heat sink and saw dried up thermal paste.
3) replaced new CPU watercooler with new paste, new case (in case it is faulty power switch)
- hooked up everything, it won't even start.
4) took everything out and tested piece by piece
-power supply pass paper clip test, fans start, computer case buttons lights up.
- plug in mobo, 1 ram, no start
- tried to short power switch with screw driver, no good

Good news, somehow when I tried shorting the power pins it turned on, so I put the pins reverse to see if I can replicate it(I doubt there is a direction for the pings because it is just leads for initiation), but my wishful thinking worked.
Bad news is that it turned on with the power button and it ran for a long time, but nothing showed up on my display, so I tried rebooting it, but the reset button wasn't responding so I turned it off.
It won't start again, not even when I tried to short it with the screw driver.
Do you think it is the pins on the mobo are faulty or the case's button faulty or something worse in the mobo?
Any suggestion on getting a new mobo? is 2011 ones better than 1115?

So here I am debating whether it is faulty PSU or Mobo,
If it is mobo, are any of these on sale right now good pick? Budget probably 200-300. These also come with 8 gb ram, considering how expensive ram has gotten now $50 a pop for 8gb. Never used "Team" brand ram before.
Or go for no bundle ones?

newegg link

my spec:
mobo: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3-B3
SeaSonic Platinum Series 660 Watt
gfx card is sapphire Raedon 7950 3gb
i5 2500k cpu
1 x 7200rpm hdd
1 x dvd write drive
8gb gskills ram ddr3 1600

Thanks in advance,

Hmmm... Kind of sounds like what happend to my bro's computer. a part on the Mobo ended up popping and frying up. Not too sure why, but we were just testing something on his old pavilion and that happend.

Yea, it most likely is.
I assembled it outside of the case, and it turns on if the left side of the board is not touching anything, not even insulated surface, and then it starts but no post and no beeping.
Then I took the memory sticks out to hear any beeps from the on board speakers, there were none.
So I called in to Gigabyte and they said do a RMA.
Did you have any tips when shipping back the Mobo?
I have the original box but don't have any anti static bag. I have green foam to protect the box though, but I don't know if sending it in without static bag is bad.

Yea, it most likely is.
I assembled it outside of the case, and it turns on if the left side of the board is not touching anything, not even insulated surface, and then it starts but no post and no beeping.
Then I took the memory sticks out to hear any beeps from the on board speakers, there were none.
So I called in to Gigabyte and they said do a RMA.
Did you have any tips when shipping back the Mobo?
I have the original box but don't have any anti static bag. I have green foam to protect the box though, but I don't know if sending it in without static bag is bad.

Srry not tips. :( i would but we wouldn't of been able to send it back since it was an OEM board that came with the computer. I think its like 8 years now? I would give you any tips if i know of any. But just in case, you can try to buy some cheap ones from ebay or anywhere else that sells them? Not sure if they'll accept it though.

Back