• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mounting Cooljag to GF4 Ti4200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Actually I was thinking of using AS3 on the core and super glue on each corner of the heatsink to mount it. How about that?

sm0x said:
Actually I was thinking of using AS3 on the core and super glue on each corner of the heatsink to mount it. How about that?

Thats one way to do it but it's the hack way to do it.

I have read the MSDS of crazy glue and I personally would never use super glue to affix the card.

But many have and not had any problems but its not the right way to do it.

How about using a hot glue gun? You think the card will get hot enough to melt the glue?

Maxvla said:
whats so hard about ordering some artic alumina from newegg etc.?

Theres nothing hard about it. I can't spare the dough right now.

I would only bolt that on if you use the 4 small holes and bolt the Heatsink on. also I doubt you'll get too much without a volt/mod.. your way better off getting the thermaltake geforce4 copper cooler. solid copper and did a kick *** job kepping my ti4400 run 328-330 24/7 stable.... with my ti4600 however I installed a slk-600 to the core. yes you heard right I had a machine shop drill the holes the small 4 ones around the GPU and insert 4 small bolts then they cut the top of the Hs off so it only takes up one extra pci slot. maybe to much but it keeps my ti400 at 355+ 24/7 stable on the core with the volt/mod

I would not get the TT one as every review I have seen shows it barely outperforms the stock cooler.

I marked my Cooljag for mounting holes, never drilled them, but it would have been easy enough. Just use the card to mark the holes, drill some 3/16 holes, bore out the fins around the holes(about 3/8 or so) so the screw fits down inside the fins, and get some 1/8 plastic screws and washers. Use some AS3 and tighten the screws down.

rlemieux said:
I would not get the TT one as every review I have seen shows it barely outperforms the stock cooler.

I agree and even in the reveiws where is does cool better, they rarely post their overclocks. Its really only good for the RAM sinks, and even those you can get at radio shack.

rlemieux said:

I marked my Cooljag for mounting holes, never drilled them, but it would have been easy enough. Just use the card to mark the holes, drill some 3/16 holes, bore out the fins around the holes(about 3/8 or so) so the screw fits down inside the fins, and get some 1/8 plastic screws and washers. Use some AS3 and tighten the screws down.

Problem is I don't have a bit that fits the holes on the video card. The holes are way smaller than 3/16 inch. I don't have screws or a bit that size. I guess I'm better off buying some adhesive. Whats the main difference between AS adhesive and arctic alumina adhesive? Does alumina conduct less electricity? Also if I mix any one of those 2 with the Artic Silver Thermal Compund I should be able to get the HSF off right?

Thanks

Its really only good for the RAM sinks

I have to disagree the BGA ram works better I think without them but my ram only runs at 787mhz so I wouldn't really know :)

sm0x said:

Whats the main difference between AS adhesive and arctic alumina adhesive? Does alumina conduct less electricity? Also if I mix any one of those 2 with the Artic Silver Thermal Compund I should be able to get the HSF off right?

Thanks

AS Adhesive is conductive AA Adhesive is not. I would not use AS period on the memory. Not even mixed with the AA ahesive. If you mix AS with the AA its conductive. I used AA and AA ahesive together to weaken the bond. AS is alright one the GPU but definitly not on the memory.

Thanks rlemieux.

You mentioned mixing AA with AA adhesive to weaken the bond. How about AS3 with AA Adhesive, would this weaken the bond as well?

rlemieux said:
it would, but as soon as you mix AS with the AA adhesive it becomes conductive, and you dont want that.

It's all good, I won't be using it on the memory.

Thanks again

Then thats fine, I thought you were talking about the memory. Just mix it about 1/2 to one part of the AA aheasive.

you don't really want to weaken the bond, b/c remember the cool jag will hang upside down, and you want it to apply as much pressure as possible on the core.

I've never met a heatsink that I haven't been able to remove using Arctic Silver Adhesive or Arctic Alumina Adhesive FULL strenghth. The freezer trick works well, and I have never ruined a GPU by taking off an IU heatsink yet. And I have a pile of ATI and Nvidia stock heatsinks to prove it :D

PS Alumina Adhesive works well, I usually use that on the Gpu of Im also adding ramsinks, For non Ramsink installs I use Arctic silver adhesive....Naturally it would be ideal to use Arctic silver adhesive on the gpu and Alumina adhesive on the ramsinks.....But the bottom dollar is both are still good choices./

I did it on mine, as others have also, you want to mix about 1/2 to 1 of the AS to the adheasive, this will weaken it enough so you can get it off, but not enough so it will fall off.

Back