• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mounting Cooljag to GF4 Ti4200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
rlemieux said:
I did it on mine, as others have also, you want to mix about 1/2 to 1 of the AS to the adheasive, this will weaken it enough so you can get it off, but not enough so it will fall off.

Blending is good as well, to each his own....as long as it doesnt fall off its all good :)

PS rlemieux, Where you been old boy.....there was an APB alert lookin for you when we didnt see any Cyber deals for several days, alot of people were nervous that they weren't spending any money on deals.....they all thought they would have to buy retail :beer:

I wasnt refering to your post Sam, you posted the same time I did. But sometimes you feel safer with a little less to pry:)

rlemieux said:
I wasnt refering to your post Sam, you posted the same time I did. But sometimes you feel safer with a little less to pry:)

I get all fired up when I hear the words Super Glue and GPU.....You all need to bear with me :rolleyes:

PS even Nevin at Arctic silver will tell you blending is good ;)

Silversinksam said:

PS rlemieux, Where you been old boy.....there was an APB alert lookin for you when we didnt see any Cyber deals for several days, alot of people were nervous that they weren't spending any money on deals.....they all thought they would have to buy retail :beer:

Was offline for a while, sold my house and had to get out cause they wanted in. Still waiting to move to PA, but hopefully itll be in the next couple of weeks. I was having withdrawals:) Ill make up for the missed time though:)

Okay thanks to everyone who's helped me on this so far. Just one more question. I glued my cooljag by applying superglue to the GPU. 1 dab in the middle and 1 in each of the 4 corners. Problem is, even after I overclock the card to 300/500 and run 3dmark game tests, I immediately turn off my computer and feel the heatsink. It's not even warm! I'm using AS3 on the heatsink and core. Maybe I applied too much superglue so the heat isn't transferring to the heatsink?

Thanks

I would never put super glue on my GPU, get some Arctic Silver appoxy, its the only way to go. Super glue is not meant to hold on heatsinks, I know alot of people do it, but its not something I recomend.

Yes I understand rlemieux, but I want to know if the super glue is really stopping the heat transfer.

sm0x said:
Yes I understand rlemieux, but I want to know if the super glue is really stopping the heat transfer.

Superglue has no thermal properties that I know of and never should have been glued to the center of the GPU.

PS Superglue depending on the manufacturer also has a low flash point, they make high heat superglue but its not the stuff you buy at the 7-11..... if your card catches on fire, remember I suggested thermal adhesive.

good luck

Silversinksam said:

if your card catches on fire, remember I suggested thermal adhesive.

good luck

this is a good point, the fumes from the super glue heating up could be even more dangerous. This means you could have a flash fire in your case, which isnt a good thing if you didnt already know. spend the extra 6 bucks and get some thermal adhesive. If you can afford it I am sure one of us has some sitting around they could send you. Like my old man always said, if your not going to do it right dont do it at all.

rlemieux said:

Like my old man always said, if your not going to do it right dont do it at all.

Exactly, there is no way around it, you really need to get some thermal adhesive, I know your pressed for money, but $10 is not much at all. You can not take short cuts when dealing with computers, b/c its going to come back and bite you in the rear. I would rather save up for 3 weeks, and get the adhesive than try to save $10 and think to myself "Is this the last time I will be able to turn this thing on and have it work".

Alright alright I think I'll just put down $11.50 for arctic alumina adhesive, but I can't get the cooljag off of the GPU. I tried the freezer trick for 10-15min. Any ideas? BTW, anybody know where I can get it for less than $11.50 shipped? Pricewatch doesn't seem to have anything better.

Thanks

Please, I need the HSF off so I can put on some AA adhesive. Anybody?

bestbyte.net has arctic alumina adhesive for $6.45
try leaving it in the freezer for at least 45 min before taking the hsf off... good luck! :)

Back