• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mouse Fan Question!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What type of mouse? PS/2 or USB?

Measuring PS/2 mice can be difficult as also the datalines can be at 5V, but can not support a fan. Also look at the PCB, often you can trace "what goes where" and guesstimate what the +5V line is..

*opening his modified PS/2 mouse to find out

The wires are Orange, White, Yellow, Blue, and Back

Orange is 5V+ with upto 100ma (average, this is what my LEDs are wired to and they work fine

Yellow is 5V+ but won't run enough aperage so it's presumably a data line

Black is ground

If you're trying to wire a USB or optical mouse I highly recommend that you buy a multimeter. For optical mice it's best to wire your extra devices + line to the middle leg of the MOSFET (black thing with 3 legs attached somewhere on the PCB). This is what controls the voltage of the light used for the tracking camera.

Last edited:
Will Eatforfood said:
How do you hack into the 5v of the mouse...Which color wires would I hook the positive and negative ends of the fan to?

a Mouse FAN?? are you serious? what are the advantages of a mouse having a fan besides it looking semi cool and having accomplished putting a fan ona device that hardly gets hot?

hehe

I'm not going to be cooling the mice, since it is impossible for it to burn up--------errr*thinks volt mod*---------the fan is to cool sweaty fingers.My comp is used to frag, I get hot hands.I react faster when cold.....I'm addig more LEDs, and probably a light up mouse pad......somehow....

Darn:) You beat me to it!!!!

Indeed, I loved that article! I've been tempted many, many times to give that a try ... ;) -- Paul

Would the load of the fan perhaps contribute to erratic mouse performance??

I mean, they draw a couple of watts, but a mouse will draw about 50milliwatts - maybe this is too much for the leads etc?

I might be trying that mod soon...once I get my new Logitech. I'll give it a try on my old Microsoft optical mouse. And yes, it is a very nice write up on the front page!!! ;)

Back