• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI K7T PRO2 A problems, other owners => read this

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Byt3z

Registered
So i have the MSI mobo and a Duron 800 cpu.
A little while ago i could succesfully overclock it to 1007 mhz stable. But when i reboot or power off, the system doesn't boot anymore and i have to clear the bios again.

I did this for a few days, and when i try to get the 1ghz back, i just get a clockspeed of 600mhz !!!
same for using multiplier *9 , i get a 500mhz instead of a 900mhz

has anyone found a solution for this ? Some people say it's a flaw in the via chipset
If there is no solution , i think i'll just buy me the asus a7v =/

If you used a pencil to connect the L1 bridges, it might be worth reapplying it - I've heard of this sort of problem after a while, I guess it's due to the graphite oxidising to carbon dioxide in the heat. When I first joined the bridges on my duron I had a similar problem (9x booted at 6x, 8.5x booted at 6.5x - random or what??), but redoing the bridges with loads of graphite solved that. However, some people recently have complained about problems with the via chipset and the multiplier - as in Joe's query about his A7V on the main page earlier, so you may find it just won't work. If you're going to go for a new board, wait a bit - apparently some said the mutliplier problem disappeared after a few weeks, so by then if you haven't fixed it, and it doesn't start working on it's own, you could get a KT133a board. I reckon the A7v-133 or the KT7-a should be great, as they're based on the best KT133 boards :)

Read today's update by Joe & Ed on the main page. They have some interesting theories.

i have exactly the same problem.... i can run my duron 700@900 without problems as long as i not turn off the power... the the compuer refuses to start and i have to cleas the bios....
but if i don't turn off the power it runs very nice.... i can reboot without problems...

which BIOS version are you running? i ran v1.8 when i tested it... is the new "overclocking bios" better?

I have been doing testing on the Pro2A board both with v1.8 and the "overclocking" BIOS. SiSoft Sandra reports 4-way interleave available in v1.8 and in both I have a max vCore setting of 1.85. So far I don't see a difference between the two on performance. If anyone has different results between the two BIOS versions can you please post them?

I'm thinking of overclocking my t-bird 1 ghz on my MSI K7T PRO2 A. my friend says its just to change the slight adjustment setting in bios. is he right? cause i dont want to crash my system....

Yes, you can adjust the FSB setting in 1MHz increments. Don't expect too much from it though. If you reach a speed that won't POST or load Windoze just adjust it back down to where it is stable. Please let us know how it works out.

actually it changes in 10mhz per change... and i changed it to 1.1ghz and it worked quite good.. ( got hot after a while, but im buying a new fan.. =)

Sorry...you're right..that was a typo...I meant 10MHz. I'm glad it is working well. What temps do you have now?

Byt3z (Jan 08, 2001 10:41 a.m.):
So i have the MSI mobo and a Duron 800 cpu.
A little while ago i could succesfully overclock it to 1007 mhz stable. But when i reboot or power off, the system doesn't boot anymore and i have to clear the bios again.

I did this for a few days, and when i try to get the 1ghz back, i just get a clockspeed of 600mhz !!!
same for using multiplier *9 , i get a 500mhz instead of a 900mhz

has anyone found a solution for this ? Some people say it's a flaw in the via chipset
If there is no solution , i think i'll just buy me the asus a7v =/

I have exactly the same problems, even if I used a conductive pen.

it raised to 58 degrees C, so i took it down to 1ghz again ( 'til my new fan arrives..). just a question, should modulated spectrum be on or off??

It should be on
dunno why, but it was mentioned on the forum before

Back