• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

msi k9n sli platinum and 3800+ x2 am2 oc problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hank123

msi k9n sli platinum and 3800+ x2 am2 oc problems.

ok so i have tried bout everything and cant get it to run prim95 stable past 2.2Ghz. right now i'm at 2.3 and can get it to run for bout a min then i get a error. when i go to 2.4 the computer runs for a short time and locks up.
I found that this mobo does not like a fast HT and that the FSB wont even post at 246 but it will at 244. so thats a factor right there.
I have a feeling that it might be a north bridge or south bridge problem cause when i feel them they seem to be warm so i'm getting ready to put a corsair airflow RAM kit on em see if that helps.

also found that the ballistix does not like 2.2 volts. just 2.1.

if you have any ideas on what I can do to get it to 2.44 or so that would be great.

overclock.jpg

That doesn't seem like too bad of an overclock to me, we have the same motherboard. I'm getting about 400 Mhz out of my cpu as well.

mmm, from what i can see u can bring the HT multi back up to 4x if u gonna run 240htt. Try using the 667 ram divider. i dont know how fast the ram can run stable, but 960 seems a bit harsh. i would put my money on the ram that is running too fast.

mmm, from what i can see u can bring the HT multi back up to 4x if u gonna run 240htt. Try using the 667 ram divider. i dont know how fast the ram can run stable, but 960 seems a bit harsh. i would put my money on the ram that is running too fast.

dude it wont post if i go x4 on the ht. and i have tried the 667 with timings of 4's and 5's and it wont pass prim95 for more than a min.

i'm telling ya its the mobo or chip.

this is what i can get stable.
2.3 @ 1.5 volt
4-4-5-5-12 @ 2.1 volt

I can only run my HT @ x3 it wont post @x4.
with this prim95 passes. if i run 4-4-5-4-12 prim95 wont pass.

I guess i can live with this. I cant figure out why I can't run a HT of x4. if you have any ideas plz let me know.

oc3.jpg

Does it run at 5X stock?

Hmm, runs 3X, but not 4x?

Could very well be the mobo. Have you flashed to the latest bios? Have you tried clearing cmos? Doing this will reset everything to factory defaults. maybe this will clear up that bug it has.

Does it run at 5X stock?

Hmm, runs 3X, but not 4x?

Could very well be the mobo. Have you flashed to the latest bios? Have you tried clearing cmos? Doing this will reset everything to factory defaults. maybe this will clear up that bug it has.

ya the bios is a pain in da @$$. i followed the instruction u gotta make a boot floppy did that but it would not let me go into c: drive from A: so i could not flash.
i have tried the MSI live up date but it wont load the new bios.
Theres a heat sink and pipe that connects the north bride and south bride together and they run warm even under clocked. i'm going to put a fan on them to see if it helps. and to answer ur question at stock speeds yes it will run at 1000MHZ.

ive hit the reset button on the mobo to clear the bios and reset to stock.
i'll see if theres a jumper.

thanks for your input all. this is y this forum kicks butt!
and thanks for not being a *** hat like some people are on some forums.

JoshOC.jpg

Now you can see my exact settings and see maybe what you could change.

Last edited:
I just had an idea, try lowering your voltage, I tried going higher but my CPU clocks better with the voltage set right about here.

ya i did and have problems running prim95. but wow man that is a low volt.

do u have the msi mobo with the copper heat sink that runs from the north bride to the south bride?

and if so does it run warm?

ok so with a little more work i got it to post and pass prim95 by changing the linkwidth. changed it from 16 up down 16 to 8 up down 8

what is the linkwidth?

I changed my Linkwidth to 8 up 8 down and was able to get to 3.25 with these settings.

JoshOC2.png

Back