• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mtron 16GB Solid State Drive vs. WD Raptor 150. MY REVIEW

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
True,but at the same time I dont see mtron,or others like it,selling 64Gb drives for under 1000 USD for two or three years at least.And
64Gb is still a little too small for my liking.150Gb is just right.

heheh you spoke to soon read my edit above... sorry i was coping over some info. raid 0,them?

heheh you spoke to soon read my edit above... sorry i was coping over some info. raid 0,them?

Actually if you look at my previous posts you'll see I think 649 is still too much cash for what you get(32Gb).I responded to dom's post on the price drop.Maybe I should say for under 500 dollars then ? That would make for a good deal imho.

As is,thats last gen and still too $$ Raid 0 eh,well,for 1300 plus Card,tax and shipping on all three,I think I'll pass.I can get two raptor 150's for under 400$

Last edited:
Actually if you look at my previous posts you'll see I think 649 is still too much cash for what you get(32Gb).I responded to dom's post on the price drop.

no no, look closer my friend, those are on pre-order... not yet out... the ones your refering to are MOBI's. $649 might be to much but consider that compared to the 7000 line is a deal, imo. even a much better deal when you look at super talent's fastest drive there
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609243
32gig $849
Sequential Access - Read 60MB/s (min)
Sequential Access - Write 45MB/s (min)

*edit*
lol you ninja editor! LOL :p

Dont get me wrong,I love the tech and I thank dom for giving us a sneak peak early look and all,but its certainly a few years away from the point where I will seriously look at it,and slap down big cash.For me to buy now,they would have to be able to sell me a 64Gb drive with performance as good or a lil better,then what we see now from a single drive for 500$

So it would have to drop from the 50 USD per Gb to about 7.80 per Gb.Even with the performance we see,its crazy,crazy expensive.And my wife and I are not exaclty poor.

Edit: I would maybe....maybe go as high as 10 USD per Gb.

yea its all a matter of how you look at it though. cause right now the biggest boost to our pc's if you have the cash to burn will be SSD's.

Dont get me wrong,I love the tech and I thank dom for giving us a sneak peak early look and all,but its certainly a few years away from the point where I will seriously look at it,and slap down big cash.For me to buy now,they would have to be able to sell me a 64Gb drive with performance as good or a lil better,then what we see now from a single drive for 500$

So it would have to drop from the 50 USD per Gb to about 7.80 per Gb.Even with the performance we see,its crazy,crazy expensive.And my wife and I are not exaclty poor.

Edit: I would maybe....maybe go as high as 10 USD per Gb.

Now that you have said the same exact thing in seven posts, I thank you! Nobody said that this was cheap, SSD's are ungodly expensive. This review is just a taste of whats to come! I am in no way advocating you go out and buy one of these, but believe me. I get your point, no reason for another post in this thread saying "too much money". I think once is enough and you have definitely made your point clear. If you actually read my article and the conclusion you will see:
And #2 The biggest downside currently to using this technology is price to gigabyte. This drive currently retails for around $799 at NeoStore.com and this is the lowest MSRP allowed straight from Mtron. If you factor in cost per gigabyte you are looking at $50 a GB. Ouch! So, if you have the money by all means this is "THE DRIVE TO HAVE" at the current time, but my personal opinion is to wait it out another year or so for SSD price to drop. The technology is here ladies and gentleman, and this is just the beginning. Be prepared for a new era in Storage Technology.

So I still have no idea why you are briging these comments in here?

Last edited:
mechincal drives can only go so far... my thought would be a hybrid like on seagates lappy drives.
http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/marketing/ds_momentus_5400_psd.pdf

hmm for someone reason i thought i read it was NAND on the drive, not flash memory...

*edit*
i just saw these on neostore... i swear there were not there ealrier today... at those prices now i say BUY!!
http://www.neostore.com/detail.asp?ProductID=1184 <-- 16GIG PRO-6000 2.5in = $399
http://www.neostore.com/detail.asp?ProductID=1186 <-- 16GIG PRO-6000 3.5in = $399
http://www.neostore.com/detail.asp?ProductID=1185 <-- 32GIG PRO-6000 2.5in = $649
the PRO-6000's are the same speed as the mobi's but should stack in raid 0 like the PRO-7000's that dom is testing...

Mike,
I hate to ruin all the fun man. But these are the exact same drives as the Mobi's. The MSD6000 has been on sale at DVNation for 3 months now. That link that you posted is the ORIGINAL MTRON drive, the Mobi is actually a refresh of the MSD6000 with newer firmware. If anything, I would order a Mobi over an MSD6000. These drives do not have any kind of raid compatibility, not to mention they only have a 3 year warranty. These are the original drives, not an upgrade Mike. Be careful, I dont think you will be happy if you plan using more than 1 of these.

Dom

I also have an update. My 9 Drive review will be finished on Thursday of Next week, that means I will be selling and shipping out all drives next week with the exception of two drives for myself in Raid 0. :) I have decided to put 7 drives for sale in the classies. Obviously I cannot afford to run a 9 drive SSD setup so you guys (whoever buys my drives) will be getting extremely awesome pricing. As a matter of fact the price is too low to post in a non classified add and in the public. Please check OCForums classifieds.

Mike,
I hate to ruin all the fun man. But these are the exact same drives as the Mobi's. The MSD6000 has been on sale at DVNation for 3 months now. That link that you posted is the ORIGINAL MTRON drive, the Mobi is actually a refresh of the MSD6000 with newer firmware. If anything, I would order a Mobi over an MSD6000. These drives do not have any kind of raid compatibility, not to mention they only have a 3 year warranty. These are the original drives, not an upgrade Mike. Be careful, I dont think you will be happy if you plan using more than 1 of these.

Dom

DOH, dont tell me that! :bang head:bang head

it just had to be to good to be true.

Dom can you bench PC Mark 05 , I wanna see how these do against I-Rams, all the high scores on PC05 are raided I-Ram drives you should blow them away with 9

To everyone who helped me take the 7 evaluation units off of my financial back, thank you. The sale worked out within 12 hours. This must be some kind of record. hehe

ALL DRIVES SOLD!!

May I announce the lucky few and the proud daddys of new Mtron units:

Surfrider gets 4 X Mtron 16GB Pro's in Raid 0
Justchill gets 2 X Mtron 16GB Pro's in Raid 0
Lutawicasa gets 1 X Mtron 16GB Pro

Great review. I read most of it, along with most of the first page of this thread... I have one thing to add that I really hope wasn't mentioned....

I don't know this specific board, but when switching to the other S-ATA controller onboard(not the ICH9), you were probably using the PCI bus, or maybe they're using the PCI-E bus by now. If it was the PCI bus, you're limited to 133mb/s, max theoretical, which would definitely slow things down.

Great review. I read most of it, along with most of the first page of this thread... I have one thing to add that I really hope wasn't mentioned....

I don't know this specific board, but when switching to the other S-ATA controller onboard(not the ICH9), you were probably using the PCI bus, or maybe they're using the PCI-E bus by now. If it was the PCI bus, you're limited to 133mb/s, max theoretical, which would definitely slow things down.

The opposite is actually correct. The ICH9 onboard was capped at 81 MB/s bandwidth where as the GIGA2 (non ICH) onboard controller was un-capped and allowed the single drive to achieve its nominal throughput of 111 MB/s.

Thanks for the props! :beer:

are you keeping any of these?

I'd love to have one of these suckers in my rig. They are so ******** fast!

I am keeping 2 out of 9 drives. As for all the rest of them:

To everyone who helped me take the 7 evaluation units off of my financial back, thank you. The sale worked out within 12 hours. This must be some kind of record. hehe

ALL DRIVES SOLD!!

May I announce the lucky few and the proud daddys of new Mtron units:

Surfrider gets 4 X Mtron 16GB Pro's in Raid 0
Justchill gets 2 X Mtron 16GB Pro's in Raid 0
Lutawicasa gets 1 X Mtron 16GB Pro

Now that you have said the same exact thing in seven posts, I thank you! Nobody said that this was cheap, SSD's are ungodly expensive. This review is just a taste of whats to come! I am in no way advocating you go out and buy one of these, but believe me. I get your point, no reason for another post in this thread saying "too much money". I think once is enough and you have definitely made your point clear. If you actually read my article and the conclusion you will see:

So I still have no idea why you are briging these comments in here?

Golly gee,because its a forum.Everyone who is a member here,is free to offer their opinion,as long as its polite,and abides by the current rules ! I am well aware no one said it was cheap.I never inferred you,or anyone else did.I can
see these are early days,and we who want faster drives will just have to be patient.I am intrigued and look forward to more exposes,by you,on this tech.

Oh and by the way,Its too much money !! :D

I don't care if 59,172 other members have come in here,and complained about the price,Ad nauseam,Its my right.

Its also my right,to compliment you on your testing and review,I think you did a great job showing them off. :)

It is more the matter of "beating a dead horse" and simply accepting the fact is has been pointed out 50 million times and it doesnt need to be repeated yet again, i often dont see why people feel the need to repeat what has already been said as if them saying it makes it any more diff.

Back