• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Multi-Homed Dynamic DNS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jason

Greetings Network Gurus. Here's a tricky one:

I've got a Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW-P Dual AthlonMP 2600 system running Windows 2003 Server standard. The server has 3 NIC's- one for the LAN connection to the rest of the network, and the other 2 are WAN- each with a dynamic public IP (Cable Modem.)

The first WAN NIC is used to connect the server to the internet, do connection sharing, and run remote desktop services.

The second WAN NIC is going to be for incoming VPN connections. If you know Windows 2003 Server, then you know it wants to set up static packet filters in Routing and Remote access when you set up a VPN server. This would make it a pain using a single WAN nic for all services including VPN.

I currently have a domain and use freedns.afraid.org to update the domain name with the dynamic IP. The way afraid.org works is simple: a standard HTTP GET request is sent to their server with a unique identifier for your account- this associates the originating IP as your current IP for your domain. Now, here's where it gets tricky:

I want to use different host names for each WAN NIC. So, how can I send host A's GET request through WAN NIC A and host B's GET request through WAN NIC B? I don't know if I've been very clear explaining this, so if you need further clarification, please let me know. Thanks!!

Seems like it to me that you need to have a DNS Forwarding check marked and the place you want to the request sent to, which is that dynamic dns place.

The DNS round robin setting can also work for multiple host names resolving to one IP. There are some places to research all this out.

Check microsoft technet site, and some other MCSE sites. I have some of the William Stanek books that I am looking at for this.

J

Back