• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first bad experience w/ newegg.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mas5acre

I spent $3000 there in the last year. Built an i7 machine, works fine, most parts from newegg. Then for Christmas I built a Phenom II 920 x4 machine for my bro. It too, including the hdds, all came fine. Until I bought a refurbished logitech mx 3200 mouse and keyboard. I have nothing against refurbished and understand they may still have problems but this is a joke. The mouse left button doesn't work, won't even click, and the keyboard battery compartment with batteries still inside looks like someone dumped a bottle of whiteout into it.
Luckly this is my second set of the mx3200, my original set I broke the adapter and spilt soda on the keyboard. Mouse was fine, so that was an easy replacment, just used my old one, now that I had a wireless adapter. As for the keyboard, I sprayed out the battery compartment with compressed air and took the battery cover off the old keyboard and put it on the new one. I was actually surprised despite the white gunk, the new keyboard works. So between the two I have one working set. These are going to my bro with a lg 21.5 1900x1200 monitor and a computer with the following specs:

Phenom II 920
Radeon 5770
Asrock a780lm motherboard
4gb of cosair ddr2
Win 7 64bit

I'm just complaining cause I doubt this even got inspected for problems, I mean just touching the mouse, u notice it doesn't "click." I did a live chat with newegg and told him flat out I don't want a refund, just better quality control, and seemed like I was wasting his time. He tried to issue an RMA, even though I told him no, just think the next person won't have spare parts. I just wanted to be heard.

Last edited:
You ordered parts that might have defects, and were surprised by the defects???

No, I was surprised they even shipped something so ****ed up it went unnoticed. Like I said it happens with refurbished, my ? was, Was this even checked as it definately wasn't in a resellable state. Selling used is fine, selling garbage is not. Most refurbished products come in a like new/ slightly cosmetically damaged state not ridicuously obvious broken one

Last edited:
You bought a refurbished moue and keyboard, and are complaining? If you buy something refurbed, don't expect it to be new. Ok, it doesn't work, don't whine about "quality control" and such, as it may have slipped through. It happens.

You bought a refurbished moue and keyboard, and are complaining? If you buy something refurbed, don't expect it to be new. Ok, it doesn't work, don't whine about "quality control" and such, as it may have slipped through. It happens.

I didn't whine. hell I didn't want a refund. Just wanted the sales rep to jot something down and take my input, not make me feel like an idiot for sharing my opinions. He was kinda a ****. Hell I didn't want an apology, just a "we'll work on improving ouselves" The bad experience wasn't the keyboard mouse, but the lack of newegg caring about customer input, a point I seemed to miss in my original post. Rather bad customer service. A buisness should always take opinions and work on improvement cause not everyone wants a refund, just a better shopping experience.

Did you ever think that newegg doesn't check the products, but they send them back to the manufacturer? Not newegg's fault.

Did you ever think that newegg doesn't check the products, but they send them back to the manufacturer? Not newegg's fault.

Your probably right. Hey thanks for pointing out the power switch/reset pins in my other thread. Guess thread was just me a little upset, first stuff Ive evr bought refurbished and came broken. Ive got a 7.1 home theatre system by onoko, is perfect. Ive got 2 channel audioengine desktop speakers again perfect. Ive bought so many things refurbished, and never ever had a problem before. Remember this computer and keyboard/,onitor isn't for me. Which is why I wanted it perfect I guess. Wanted my bro to have something nice. I'm not rich, and his present got expensive like $1000

Last edited:

Yeah, logitech probably buys batches of refurbed stuff from Logitech and doesn't check the parts themselves. You should try emailing Logitech if you haven't already, see what they say.

Edit: heh, got here before me.

I can understand your disappointment, and frankly Newegg's "refurbs" ain't what they were a few years ago. Many people loved picking goodies that were like new right from the refurb section. It's not that way today and I would steer clear of them.

That's just my two cents, and I'm sure some will disagree..

Ok, maybe I'm just dreaming here, but my understand of how refurbished is supposed to work is:

You may not get all the accessories, there may be scratches and dents, but the product is supposed to be tested and working. A mouse that doesn't left click is not functional.

The keyboard shouldn't have corroded battery gunk in the battery compartment, but if it works, it squeaks by.

There have been some other complaints about neweggs refurbs and "open box" stuff, some of the open box stuff despite being labeled as never used as marks all over it and such. They really don't inspect 'em very well. But they are usually happy to take 'em back and refund you.

Yea neweggs return policy is pretty good, if the item you got was defective they will pay for shipping both ways and get you a replacement.

They have never offered to pay shipping both ways.
Once, after they gave me the runaround for 2 weeks I asked if they'd give me some compensation, and they refunded the shipping on my RAM.

When I had a mouse that I did not want and was working fine, they paid for shipping both ways, another time I had a DOA psu they paid for me too. Maybe it is based on customer history, since I have been ordering from them a lot since 2003.

Refurb or not, it shouldnt look like it does and should still function completely. With that said, get your money back or get another one.

Thats just it, didn't want a refund, like I said I had an old pair with a broken keyboard/wireless adapter. Still had the mouse and the new keyboard works now, I'm typing on it, makin sure there's no sticky keys and its an xmas gift so I need it now, so Im just called to inform them thats all. Didn't like their attitude.

Ok, maybe I'm just dreaming here, but my understand of how refurbished is supposed to work is:

You may not get all the accessories, there may be scratches and dents, but the product is supposed to be tested and working. A mouse that doesn't left click is not functional.

The keyboard shouldn't have corroded battery gunk in the battery compartment, but if it works, it squeaks by.

That's Open Box, Refurb is different

That's Open Box, Refurb is different

According to Newegg's site:
What is an Open Box item?
Open Box items have been opened and touched and/or returned. Because they originate from different situations, they may or may not include accessories, documentation or retail packaging. Refurbishment is done by the manufacturer. Open Box products are warranted for only 30 days. We recommend that you try out your Open Box product immediately after receiving it.

What are Recertified products?
Products described as “Recertified” are products which have been retested to ensure compliance with original manufacturer specifications in function and for purposes related to warranty.
“Recertified” products may include a limited manufacturer warranty – see the items product page on our website for details

Recertified products may be any of the following:

A product that has never been used, where the outside factory seal has been broken. This can be due to a cancelled order for example.

A product returned to the original manufacturers that were used in field tests, sales displays or demonstrations.

A product that have been returned for warranty service, which have been brought to manufacturer specifications.

A product that have been returned for reasons other than defect. These items are sent to the manufacturer for inspection and testing. The passing products are then repackaged as recertified.

A product where the box was damaged in shipment and is then returned to the manufacturer.

Notice the only place it mentions refurbished is in the Open box description? ( search that FAQ page, it is the only menion of refurbish). Recertified also says it should be working.

Back