• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first intel CPU! need advice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kskwerl

I'm originally an AMD guy but I really want to try this new sandybridge so I'm getting rid of my build now and going to be building something new.

Was going to get the Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070

I was hoping you guys may be able to recommend a mother board and RAM for this. I've been doing some reading about the Sandybridge's but I still feel as though I know very little about Intel in general. This will be my first Intel CPU build.

All suggestions for motherboards/ram and anything else is..as always..greatly appreciated by you guys! :D

With SB, overclocking is almost entirely CPU dependent since BCLK can only be increased a few MHz, so just get a board from a reputable manufacturer with all the features you need. Asus and Gigabyte are the companies I usually go with.

Your Flares may work with SB, might be worth a try before you buy RAM.

With SB, overclocking is almost entirely CPU dependent since BCLK can only be increased a few MHz, so just get a board from a reputable manufacturer with all the features you need. Asus and Gigabyte are the companies I usually go with.

Your Flares may work with SB, might be worth a try before you buy RAM.

Thanks a bunch of the input man, the flares are being sold with my current system :/

The ASUS P8P67 series are great boards, they perform well and overclock very well. GIGABYTE's P67-UDx series boards are great as well. I don't know much about Z68 so I can't give much advice about it.

As for RAM, you technically want some RAM rated for the P67 platform. They're tough to find, but if you search around Newegg you can find them :thup:

Overclocking on Sandy Bridge is simple. Leave bclk at stock (100) and use the multiplier. 4.5+ is definitely accomplishable with very moderate volts.

Good luck!

For boards, I'd go with either the GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 or P8Z68-V b/c they are the cheapest with SLI/CFX support. Some G.Skill Ripjaws X would be the RAM I'd go with.

The ASUS P8P67 series are great boards, they perform well and overclock very well. GIGABYTE's P67-UDx series boards are great as well. I don't know much about Z68 so I can't give much advice about it.

As for RAM, you technically want some RAM rated for the P67 platform. They're tough to find, but if you search around Newegg you can find them :thup:

Overclocking on Sandy Bridge is simple. Leave bclk at stock (100) and use the multiplier. 4.5+ is definitely accomplishable with very moderate volts.

Good luck!
Nice good info guys! I actually already was looking at the GIGABYTE P67
For boards, I'd go with either the GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 or P8Z68-V b/c they are the cheapest with SLI/CFX support. Some G.Skill Ripjaws X would be the RAM I'd go with.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

that ram? it's cheap! :D

Yeah, those or the 8-8-8-24 ones for $10 more.

The P67 versions of the boards I mentioned are the GA-P67A-UD4-B3 and P8P67 Pro.

Yeah, those or the 8-8-8-24 ones for $10 more.

The P67 versions of the boards I mentioned are the GA-P67A-UD4-B3 and P8P67 Pro.

Nice that seems like a great deal. This flare was expensive when I bought it.

I've been browsing and reading reviews for a case. I always had coolermaster cases but would like to try something different. Any suggestions?

I have corsair 1600Mhz 7-8-7-20 and they are detected correct bij my p8p67, I like this brand very much since even the mainboard xmp detects it correct.
It's 1.65v but runs solid on 1.5v, that means some nice overclocking headroom.
Asus and Gigabyte are the brands that stand out at the moment, you will get nice performance with either one.
Although as said, go with the brand you have good experience with, or appeals the most to you. I used to like MSI, but went for asus since some years. Excellent overclocking abilities, good bios, frequent updates for bios.
Check out the fan headers on the mainboard, some have few, some have more, and it's always nice to have connectors for extra fans, which are controlable through your bios.
Also be aware of the pcie lanes, the cheaper boards offer 8x and 4x when crossfired, while the more advanced ones offer 8x and 8x. It wouldn't double the speed, but still offers more performance when going that route.

Ah, pc cases, or housings, perhaps not the best looking one, but I went from asus cases to Antec. We have 2 six hundred cases, they cool pretty good and are affordable. Big fan at the top, 200mm, 2 120mm in the front and 1 120mm at the sidepanel, and finally 1 at the rear of 120mm.
Plenty of room for cabling management and space for extra hard drives.
Antec has some nice housings, check them out.

Back