• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My First Water Cooled build! 3960x, RIVE, 800D ^^

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

faceclot

Registered
Hey guys. Been lurking for a while and now I am going to pull the trigger and build a kick *** machine. Its been 5 years since I built a PC and 4 years before that. This is a long post! Hope it doesn't bother anyone but I will be tracking this build and hopefully posting some kickass temps and scores in the end.

So there are a few things I want to correct with my build this time around.

1. I am going to finally build a dual loops full WC setup. EK blocks for CPU, GPUs, NB, and VRM.

2. I want a clean, quality, aesthetically pleasing build. Clean cabling is a must. I dont want to plug anything in my bays unless it matches the tower. If that means no optical drive then so be it. This is a popular tower surely I can find parts that wont stand out with different shades of black. I am dishing out a lot of time and money on this build so I want it to be a work of art.

Specs:
  • Case: Corsair 800D
  • Optical: External. :)
  • CPU: Intel SB EE 3960x
  • Mobo: RIVE
  • Memory: 4x4 Corsair Dominator/Vengeance
  • SSD: Corsair M4
  • HD: Western Digital Caviar Green in Raid 5/10 (depending on budget)
  • GPU: Hd Radeon 7970
  • GPU Block: EK Acetal + Back Cover
  • Blocks: RIVE EK Acetal Electroless Nickel Plated -- EK Supreme HF - Electroless Nickel Plated
  • Fans: Scythe AP-15
  • Radiator 1 - XSPC RX360
  • Radiator 2 - XSPC RX240
  • Tubing - PrimoFlex White 1/2"ID 3/4"OD
  • Fittings - Specifics are still WIP. Plan: Quick release for radiators and reservoirs, compression fittings for the rest.
  • Fan controller - WIP. Still trying to find case match.
  • Reservoir - WIP. Still trying to find case match.
  • Pumps - MCP35X
  • Fittings - 16x XSPC compression fittings, 2x T connections, 2x fill-in port
Requirements:
  • Beautiful pc. Seriously. I will not be able to live with spending this much money on this thing only to have mismatching drive bay crap. So any help finding matching optical drive, fan controller, and (if we go with drive bay reservoirs) reservoirs would be GREATLY appreciated!
  • Keep the parts internal.
  • Capability to go silent (slow down fans, pumps, etc). The plan is to go into hyperdrive when I need it and slow everything down when I am doing general productivity.

Missing: Tubing, Radiators, Reservoirs
1. The radiators. Cant decide between a dual radiator build 360+240, and a single radiator 480 build. I am leaning towards a dual radiator build since I am assuming that you cant get as good TDeltas (as dual radiator loops) on a thick 480 without high RPM fans. 360 - XSPC RX360 + RS240 or Black Ice GT Stealth 360, 240.

2. I want one of those dual bay dual pump reservoir combos. Do you think a better choice to get the reservoirs out of the drive bays and mounted inside case? I like the idea of seeing that coolant on front of case but I dont want that to come at the expense of mismatching drive bay tenants.

3. I want quick disconnects on radiators for cleaning purposes (do I need any anywhere else?). Ive read posts that suggest that they hurt flow rates and have a chance at leaking. Is this true?

4. Trim the fat! What are the wasteful areas of this build? I will admit that I am new to watercooling. So I did enough research to find the best part designers and got their top of the line products with the assumption that I will get professional opinions and cut things that are unnecessarily-expensive/better-spent-elsewhere

Also a question on algae/corrosion. UV Reactive/dyes look nice. Really nice. But it seems like they add a lot of overhead in terms of maintenance. I don't have that time. Some people say that we should go for completely solid tubing in order to prevent algae. Whats your take on this? Is it enough to cut the UV reactive coolants but keep the tubing? Or is it best (in terms of minimum maintenance) to just go with solid tubing?

Ty for reading and replying!

Last edited:
1. Either 480 or 360+240 will require you to mod your case. Its your choice whether you can tolerate (4) screaming fans or you want a quiet rig. I prefer the latter so i over rad.

2. Having a bay res will save you some space inside the case. And if you add a pump/res combo - even better. Saves you space and less tubing.

3. I have a pair of Koolance quick disconnects - and i havent noticed (visually) any flow or leak problems. Granted i only disconnected a handful of times within a (3) week period. But it seems like Koolance already fix the leakage issue on their new batch of disconnects. Correct me if im wrong.

4. I only run distilled water, silver coil and follow the (6) month drainage and annual teardown. I have yet to encounter any gunk on my stuff. KISS right? Personally, if i want color - id go for a color tubing.

Compression fittings vs barbs. Personal choice. Both works well when used properly with the right tubing/clamps. Compression fittings just looks a lot cleaner for me.

few things.

The rad size I would suggest for this will not fit in this case (120.6) but thats your choice and with modding a 120.5 will fit.

Mobo blocks are not needed at all unless you just want it for looks, plus it adds restriction for the pump.

Good luck finding AP-15's :p AP-14's are pretty good as well and i prefer them over 15's (dont really need a fan controller).

At the Price point of those cards, They are beaten by the 7970 for the same price. just my .02

EDIT: you also forgot a pump, I would highly highly highly recommend the MCP35X

I am leaning towards a dual radiator build since I am assuming that you cant get as good TDeltas (as dual radiator loops) on a thick 480 without high RPM fans

Incorrect... 2x 120.2 say XSPC RX radiators and a RX120.4 with the same fans at the same speed will have the same DT. The only time you will see a DT change is from one brand to another of the same size or one size vs a smaller/bigger size.

Last edited:
Give me a week and I'll let you know...

Still waiting on delivery to put it all together, but I think we're doing similar builds. Here's what it will be:

Corsair 800D
XSPC RX360
Asus Sabertooth x79
Intel 3960x
Sapphire 7970
two Intel 240 gb 520 drives in raid 0
G.Skill 4x4gb DDR-2133 CL-9
dual MCP35x with integrated reservoir
Koolance blocks on MB, CPU, and GPU
Noctua NF-12 all around
Koolance UV-reactive 10 mm tubing
Koolance compression fittings
Koolance quick disconnects
Corsair HX-1000
Asus blu-ray burner

What I don't know yet is whether I'm going to add additional single radiators (either at the back or mounted where the 140 mm fan sits between the PSU and main compartments).

Last edited:
What I don't know yet is whether I'm going to add additional single radiators (either at the back or mounted where the 140 mm fan sits between the PSU and main compartments).

You will want to, a 240 minimum if possible.

Also a 7990 is not out yet but i am sure heatload will be close to the 6990.

That was a typo--should have read 7970.

I already have the 800D, but if I was shopping today I would by the Case Labs Magnum M8. If I don't get the kind of cooling I need in this case, I'll just get that one, add a second 360 radiator, and not deal with trying to mod this one to get more cooling available.

I figure I shouldn't have too much trouble finding another project to put into the 800D (but honey, it's wasting money to just let it sit around--so this is actually a fiscally responsible thing to do ;-)

few things.

The rad size I would suggest for this will not fit in this case (120.6) but thats your choice and with modding a 120.5 will fit.

Mobo blocks are not needed at all unless you just want it for looks, plus it adds restriction for the pump.

Good luck finding AP-15's :p AP-14's are pretty good as well and i prefer them over 15's (dont really need a fan controller).

At the Price point of those cards, They are beaten by the 7970 for the same price. just my .02

EDIT: you also forgot a pump, I would highly highly highly recommend the MCP35X

Incorrect... 2x 120.2 say XSPC RX radiators and a RX120.4 with the same fans at the same speed will have the same DT. The only time you will see a DT change is from one brand to another of the same size or one size vs a smaller/bigger size.

So you are suggesting I go with a single radiator, 120.5? I thought when you increase the size of the radiator you need higher RPMs to get cooling performance equivalent to a combination of X smaller radiators due to increased density and thickness.

Thanks for the pump recommendation! I will add that to the list because I really had no idea what pump/reservoir to get.

So you are suggesting I go with a single radiator, 120.5? I thought when you increase the size of the radiator you need higher RPMs to get cooling performance equivalent to a combination of X smaller radiators due to increased density and thickness.

Thanks for the pump recommendation! I will add that to the list because I really had no idea what pump/reservoir to get.

Im sure what he means an equivalent of a 120.5. So either (1) 360 + (1) 240 or (1) 480 + (1) 120 or any other combination.

There are rad that has higher FPI (Fins Per Inch) that needs high speed fans to push/pull air through.

http://www.swiftech.com/MCRX20-QP-RADIATOR-SERIES.aspx#tab3

For example, the Swiftech QP series has 12 FPI and slim design. So a low/mid RPM fan is ideal when your trying to achieve OC (to a point) but emphasis on minimal noise.

The BlackIce you mentioned:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=20984

Has 20 FPI but twice as thick as the QP series. So even though a low/mid RPM fan is ideal, i would be using a mid RPM fans to push/pull air through that core.

Your AP15 is a great choice to use as fans. Look into Gelid TC fans, they push a decent amount of air for their price.

If you go with a black ice GTX, GT AP-14's in push/pull work great and are pretty quiet. Could get expensive though if you have to buy 10 fans.

As Ironsmack stated when you get to higher FPI is where you need more RPM or High static pressure fans. Thickness or size normally do not matter. I have 3 RX 360s and they are one of the thickest rads you can buy but since it only has 8FPI I can use just about any fan i want (to a degree) and still get good cooling.

With water cooling radiators, the larger or more you have the slower speed fans you can use and vice versa.

Also with fan choice you will always want to think Pressure>Speed! Static Pressure is the force that pushes air through a surface like a radiator or heatsink. Granted heatsinks are more forgiving on the type of fan you use. Fans with low SP tend to have air bounce back through the blades and escape leaving less air to go through the radiator.

High Flow, High RPM (Loud) or Static Pressure, Low RPM (quiet) that is the choice you will need to make with fans :D

Good luck hope that helped a bit.

Okay latest updates. GPU is going to be the Hydro Copper 2 FTW. I just figured if I buy any mid range GFX card (bw 300-400) I am going to spend at least 100 on the blocks for it. Might as well get the best card on the market thats already outfitted for WC. Thoughts?

Another question about my compression fittings choice. Has anyone used the XSPC compression barbs? Heard they cut into the tubing and prevent reuse of tubing. That is fine but that implies that I will have to change my tubing eventually, right? How often will I have to do that?

Only thing I really have to say is go with the res that is designed to mount directly on top of your MCP35X pump.

This one here.

Okay latest updates. GPU is going to be the Hydro Copper 2 FTW. I just figured if I buy any mid range GFX card (bw 300-400) I am going to spend at least 100 on the blocks for it. Might as well get the best card on the market thats already outfitted for WC. Thoughts?

Another question about my compression fittings choice. Has anyone used the XSPC compression barbs? Heard they cut into the tubing and prevent reuse of tubing. That is fine but that implies that I will have to change my tubing eventually, right? How often will I have to do that?

If you are talking a GTX580 with block.. A quick price check shows way over $600...

Might as well get a 7970 and full cover water block for ~$25 more depending on where you buy the hc 2

Why buy a watercooled card that is a year old and last gen technology?

Last edited:
If you are talking a GTX580 with block.. A quick price check shows way over $600...

Might as well get a 7970 and full cover water block for ~$25 more depending on where you buy the hc 2

Why buy a watercooled card that is a year old and last gen technology?

ooo good catch. I thought GTX580 was recently released. Don't know what I was thinking. -.- thank you.

Why not another res? I am installing a res but that one is kind of ugly :)

Because that res works great, and usually gets mounted directly on top of the pump saving space. No need to use up a 5.25 drive bay or two with a res. usually the pump gets tucked away out of sight. If the res is on top of it no one see's it.

Also I don't think it looks ugly.

Here is a review of the MCP35x and the MCP35x res. Some nice looking shots of it.

There is a part about how it might reintroduce bubbles into the loop if you run at full speed and a low restriction loop. That won't be an issue for you since you are running CPU, GPU, MOBO blocks and 2 rads which IMHO is a medium/heavy restriction loop.

Got the MCP35x reservoir - thanks bmwbaxter :)

Any recommendations for a fan controller guys? I need to control 9 GT AP15s and one MCP35x via its PWM functionality.

Will I be able to control my MCP35x through the motherboard PWM fan controllers? If so what do you guys think of the Scythe Kaze Master Pro?

Well I just finished ordering the last of the parts I need to get this build started. The only parts I didn't order are: 2 more HDs for Raid 5, fan controller (cant find a good match and PWM functionality for MCP35x), mobo blocks (I think I am going to cancel these), and the external optical drive.

While I still have dire need of a fan controller I can start the build without it. I need a few mods to the case, and this I am kind of nervous about. I have never modded a case -- I dont even have the necessary tool! I need a drainage port and a fill port. I also need to give my RX240 rad some breathing room.

I also have a bunch of boring stuff to do - I have to sleeve the fans and fain the fan blades white. Woohoo -.-

I am uber excited to get this build started :)

You can control the pump using your mobo header. There's no need to control it via PWM fan controller unless you absolutely want to control the pump speed. Most users here tend to let the mobo handle it though.

Back