• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My First WC Build Diagram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

b0cks

Registered
ROUND 2:

Bottom-1.jpg

1 - CPU Block - Koolance CPU-360
I chose this partially because of the aesthetic, and because of this review at Skinnee Labs.

2- GPU Block - MCW80 GTX470
I chose this because of the aesthetic and because of this review here on OCF.

3- Reservoir - XSPC 5.25" Bay Reservoir
I chose this because it fits the color of the case and allows for reading the water level. My concern is that because the top isn't sealed, something bad may happen. Might seal it with a plug. Thoughts?

4- Pump - Koolance PMP-450
I chose this because through my research I found that the two most popular pumps (this and the Swiftec pump) are both based on the same model with very slight differences between the two. I was thinking of putting it in the lowest 5.25 bay, but I think it looks better at the bottom of the case.

4- Pump Top - COV-RP450
I chose this because of the aesthetic. I think the bare pump looks a bid rough, this review at Skinnee Labs does show that it cause a very small drop in flow though. Though the model # is different, the link that Skinnee links to is the COV-RP450

13- Pump Seat -Gel-stuff Block
This is to reduce vibration. Any thoughts on this?

5 - Bottom Radiator - HX-CU720V Koolance 2x120mm High Flow Radiator
Supposedly provides up to 700w of heat dissipation. If I ever change to a SLI configuration, it should be enough to create a 2nd loop for 2xGTX470 assuming each outputs 275w of heat. My concern is that because these are low to the ground, they may not be operating optimally. In this case, it would likely cool best as a single loop, yes? Could not find any reviews for this specific rad. Case will have to be modded. I will be using 2000RPM fans.

10 & 11- Bottom Radiator Fans - Koolance 120mm 2000RPM Fan
I picked these to save on shipping from Koolance. They seem alright based on their specs. 89CFM 30db @ 2200RPM

14 - Filter - DEMCiflex 120mm Magnetic Dust Filter
I picked this to filter the dust since these are facing down. These were used by a few 800D builds like this one.

6- Top Radiator - XSPC RX360 3x120mm Radiator (Low Flow)
I picked a low flow radiator at the top, because these are closest to me. This makes me think they might be the loudest. I picked it based on this from Skinnee. I will be using 1500RPM fans. I'm wondering whether or not this would benefit from push-pull in such a tight enclosed space.

7, 8 & 9 - Top Radiator Fans - Aerocool Silver Lightning 120mm 1500RPM fans.
I picked these for the RPM, CFM (65 & 26dB)

12 - Drain Valve - Koolance Drain Valve
This was chosen to split the line from the GPU-out to the Bottom RAD-IN for easy draining. I'm looking for suggestions for what to replace this with, if any. I will most likely be replacing this, as this is meant for 5/8OD and I'm thinking of going 3/4ths.

13-Ball Valve - Koolance Ball Valve
This ball valve was chosen so that the flow from the drain could be controlled when necessary. Would normally be closed.

15 - Some kind of plug for some kind of redundancy in safety.
A tube would run out a bit, so that I can pull it out of the case and into some kind of bottle or something for draining. A plug would be at the end for double safety.

16 [& Other white blocks] -Compression fitting nozzles -Koolance Compression Fittings [ID1/2 OD3/4]
All the white blocks marked are compression fitting nozzles, any suggestions for replacements to these for specific ports is welcome. I don't want to go the route of barbs.

17 White - I believe the pump comes with nozzles, so these are marked as separate for reference.

17 Red - Quick Disconnect Female - Koolance VL3N Quick Disconnect Female
These were chosen because of this review at Skinnee Labs. I want to be able to remove the CPU and GPU easily.

17 Red - Quick Disconnect Male-Koolance VL3N QUICK DISCONNECT MALE
These were chosen because of this review at Skinnee Labs. I want to be able to remove the CPU and GPU easily.

X - Some 140mm high RPM fan to improve airflow white LED?.

Other thoughts:

I've heard the 800D's airflow is bad. Hopefully the new back fan is enough for cooling the memory.

QDC on the res for easy removal and filling?

I'm not sure how I feel about the port on the top, I want to plug it up.
I'm going on vacation in a few months. If I do get this built before then...will the sitting water attract mosquitos and other things like that?!

Push-pull on both the rads seems like a better idea, but I'm not sure if I should.

Chipset & VReg cooling...totally unncessary from what I've read. I'm not sure what to think about it exactly.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/m3isdeath/cooling-2.jpg
So I've read all the stickies and gathered as much information as I possibly could from a multitude of different forums and threads, and here's what I've come up with.
How does it look? Anythings that need to be changed, etc? Also, the things that connect between two SLI-GPUs together...do they come with the block?
Any input would be appreciated![/QUOTE]

Last edited:
No, the fitting for SLI doesn't come with it. I use the Danger Den one, there is a nice Bitspower one too.

You don't have enough raddage for your setup. Did you read and actually do the math for the DT explanation sticky? You have about 750 watts to cool under max load. I have a 920 and two 470's and I wrote the DT sticky, so I know what you need. So please make sure your ready.

You can fit a 120x2 at the bottom, there are some nice build logs here for the 800D, you just need to read them.........

Here is some other links, might get a cup of coffee for a couple hours a day for a week or two..........

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6489396&postcount=3

I guess need to do a bit more reading. I didn't do the math :(. I haven't gone sli yet though either. It should be able to handle one card right? Also the qdc are because I want to easily swap the CPU or GPU.

I would have done it like this: Pump->Rad->CPU->GPU->Res->Pump.... But thats just me.

The pump is going to a rad first, I realize it wasn't drawn very well though. The line going up from the res would be from the pump bottom. I just didn't draw the line because it would be 'behind' the res. Whoops :x haha.

Edit: Now that I look at it again, looks like I drew it wrong. Should be fixed now..

Last edited:
I see, I think I'll go one triple fan rad at the top and a double fan rad at the bottom based on the suggestions here.

Is it still okay to be on a single loop in this case with 2 rads? I'm assuming that would be enough for my setup atm, but when I do go SLI, is 2 rads in a single loop still OK? I'm also a bit confused about the orientation of the fans on the rad at the bottom of the case, should they be pulling or pushing?

Also, I really want to keep QDC on my CPU and GPU, but I can probably get rid of the ones on the rad. It seems like it would be great if I ever needed to just take the whole motherboard out.

They are quite expensive though.

These are just the questions I have so far, I'm not in a rush, just trying to clarify everything I've read. :)

Yes, a single loop is fine. The bottom rad should be sucking room air in. front fans out. rear fan out. Rear fan should be replaces witha solid higher CFF fan to balance flow. For best temps you always want to use cooler room air for the rads. But it's not a rule. Have you taken the time to read up on the 800D builds here yet or start hitting the stickies yet? You'll get a LOT of your questions answered and you'll learn a lot.

I don't want to get tired of answering every single little easily figured out issue. Then you don't get the real help you'll need. Just a thought.

Yes I've looked at several builds of both 800D's and other cases, and I've gone through all of the stickies over the last few weeks. I've also read a bunch of the reviews on skinee labs to help me in picking parts.

I'm just trying to get everything right so I can plan it out for the first time, sorry if it's a lot of questions.

It's a lot of information and I'm a bit overwhelmed with little details that are already obvious to everyone else with experience. I'm also trying to sort out the conflicting information from other sites.

I'll do a bit more looking around before asking another question though, thanks for your assistance so far, I understand it can get tiring answering every little question.

You have your SLI waterblock set up incorrectly in your Diagram.

It needs to look like this:
cooling2.jpg

Sorry for butchering your picture, but down to the nitty gritty.
The way you had it set up, the water would basically pass right through the GPU without cooling it. This way, the water will go in one port, go across the GPU and out the other one. It does not go in a 'U' shape like I drew, but thats just to give the emphasis that it needs to flow across the card.

I was using the red to show where the water was going.

..I have no clue why I drew the other blue ones were in there, thanks though. I knew it had to alternate because I had gotten the diagram from seeing a picture or someone else's setup, and that the non-flow parts should be plugged up- but the reason for them being alternating never crossed my mind, thanks for that!

the QDC's Are Fairly Long Like Conumdrum Said... I Think They Are Cool As Shtz If You've Got The Space... They Are Exactly As Described... "Zero" Spill If You Get The No Spill Versions... I've Tested Them With A Pump Running And Disconnected Them... Zero Spill...

I Don't Have One In Front Of Me At The Moment But I Can Tell You That They Are At Least 3 Inches Long

I took a gander at a few videos and pictures of them, and yeah they do seem fairly long.. I really want them for easily swapping the CPU and GPU out though, that's something I'll have to take into consideration once I get further along I suppose.

They do add up though, really expensive as Conundrum said.
I've spent the last 24 hours doing nearly nothing but reading, so gonna give another shot at a diagram and part list right now.

here's a an example pic of how long the QDC's Are... There's two of them coming off the cpu block

5165665155_685ed61365_b.jpg

Yeah, those look pretty long.

Anyways, I've updated my drawing and a list for anyone that cares to look and help. Just trying to learn! :) Thoughts on everything?

Well At least I'll say your doing your homework. Your future mind and ours will thank you in the long run.

Yea, the QDCs are incredibly expensive. I don't know why you would put them on the CPU for sure. You buy a modern quality CPU block, it will last you for many years. And IF for some reason you want to swap the CPU, all you do is remove the block and bend the hoses out of the way.

Once you see how complicated it is to watercool a GPU and the time involved, you'll probably not want to do it often, unless your a hard modder and run benchmarks as you choice of fun.

Having them on a rad outside of the case? I can see that. Adding a rad to the loop for sub ambient chilling when you want to? I can see that. For general use, no. Your stuff though.

ROUND 2:

1 - CPU Block - Koolance CPU-360
I chose this partially because of the aesthetic, and because of this review at Skinnee Labs.

There is better, why this one?

2- GPU Block - MCW80 GTX470
I chose this because of the aesthetic and because of this review here on OCF.

IF you plan to go SLI, you'll have BIG issues down the road. Go full cover for the GPU. You'll spend xx on the 80, and another 25-30 on teeny heatsinks for the ram and Vregs. Almost as much as a very pretty full cover block... Like this on my 470's.
IMG_0506.jpg

3- Reservoir - XSPC 5.25" Bay Reservoir
I chose this because it fits the color of the case and allows for reading the water level. My concern is that because the top isn't sealed, something bad may happen. Might seal it with a plug. Thoughts?

Decent res. I don't like bay reses myself. Your biggest issue is getting to the top plug to fill/bleed/maintain. You'll need extra hose or a fill tube to the top of the case.

4- Pump - Koolance PMP-450
I chose this because through my research I found that the two most popular pumps (this and the Swiftec pump) are both based on the same model with very slight differences between the two. I was thinking of putting it in the lowest 5.25 bay, but I think it looks better at the bottom of the case.

LOL. They are both made by Laing. $15 cheaper here.
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swmc12vdcpuw.html
It's not the best pump. You really need to spend more time at this before a parts list. The pump you list is pretty good. Not as good as the Vario version or as good as the DDC 3.2, 3.25 or the new 35x. Laing is the pump maker. I can think of 4 PC WC companies that buy these an OEM bulk relabeled. Maybe google it? Learn more about pumps at skinnees and reading every post in the last 2-3 months in this forum dealing with pumps.

4- Pump Top - COV-RP450
I chose this because of the aesthetic. I think the bare pump looks a bid rough, this review at Skinnee Labs does show that it cause a very small drop in flow though. Though the model # is different, the link that Skinnee links to is the COV-RP450

13- Pump Seat -Gel-stuff Block
This is to reduce vibration. Any thoughts on this?

Velcro.....

5 - Bottom Radiator - HX-CU720V Koolance 2x120mm High Flow Radiator
Supposedly provides up to 700w of heat dissipation. If I ever change to a SLI configuration, it should be enough to create a 2nd loop for 2xGTX470 assuming each outputs 275w of heat. My concern is that because these are low to the ground, they may not be operating optimally. In this case, it would likely cool best as a single loop, yes? Could not find any reviews for this specific rad. Case will have to be modded. I will be using 2000RPM fans.

You picked the LOL HAHAHA Koolance? Back to skinnees for you. A link you NEED to read. Scroll down to the Koolance Tim (Koolance company guy) or read lots of the whole thread. We have laughed at the marketing balls of Koolance and thier supposedly awesome cooling. They use a 25C DT temp rating, that is just STOOPID for PC cooling.
http://forums.koolance.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1643

10 & 11- Bottom Radiator Fans - Koolance 120mm 2000RPM Fan
I picked these to save on shipping from Koolance. They seem alright based on their specs. 89CFM 30db @ 2200RPM

You really really need this and this and this thread. Or to make it easy, buy Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM fans.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=261778
One thread, I'm lazy

14 - Filter - DEMCiflex 120mm Magnetic Dust Filter
I picked this to filter the dust since these are facing down. These were used by a few 800D builds like this one.

6- Top Radiator - XSPC RX360 3x120mm Radiator (Low Flow)
I picked a low flow radiator at the top, because these are closest to me. This makes me think they might be the loudest. I picked it based on this from Skinnee. I will be using 1500RPM fans. I'm wondering whether or not this would benefit from push-pull in such a tight enclosed space.

Finally a good choice.............

7, 8 & 9 - Top Radiator Fans - Aerocool Silver Lightning 120mm 1500RPM fans.
I picked these for the RPM, CFM (65 & 26dB)

Stick with the same fans everywhere.

12 - Drain Valve - Koolance Drain Valve
This was chosen to split the line from the GPU-out to the Bottom RAD-IN for easy draining. I'm looking for suggestions for what to replace this with, if any. I will most likely be replacing this, as this is meant for 5/8OD and I'm thinking of going 3/4ths.

There is NO 3/4 ID tubing. There is 3/4 OD tubing. You have to understand tubing has an ID AND an OD. Maybe you should learn about tubing sizes, best link I got.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2246926&postcount=1

13-Ball Valve - Koolance Ball Valve
This ball valve was chosen so that the flow from the drain could be controlled when necessary. Would normally be closed.

15 - Some kind of plug for some kind of redundancy in safety.
A tube would run out a bit, so that I can pull it out of the case and into some kind of bottle or something for draining. A plug would be at the end for double safety.

16 [& Other white blocks] -Compression fitting nozzles -Koolance Compression Fittings [ID1/2 OD3/4]
All the white blocks marked are compression fitting nozzles, any suggestions for replacements to these for specific ports is welcome. I don't want to go the route of barbs.

They are mm, your USA right? You want inch size. You need to look at Bitspower fittings.

17 White - I believe the pump comes with nozzles, so these are marked as separate for reference.

17 Red - Quick Disconnect Female - Koolance VL3N Quick Disconnect Female

17 Red - Quick Disconnect Male-Koolance VL3N QUICK DISCONNECT MALE

X - Some 140mm high RPM fan to improve airflow white LED?.

Other thoughts:

I've heard the 800D's airflow is bad. Hopefully the new back fan is enough for cooling the memory.

QDC on the res for easy removal and filling?

I'm not sure how I feel about the port on the top, I want to plug it up.
I'm going on vacation in a few months. If I do get this built before then...will the sitting water attract mosquitos and other things like that?!

Push-pull on both the rads seems like a better idea, but I'm not sure if I should.

Chipset & VReg cooling...totally unncessary from what I've read. I'm not sure what to think about it exactly.

:bang head

Get OFF the darn Koolance site! They have few good choices and you have no clue whats good or bad.

Gosh, you need to step back for a few days. You made SOOO many bad choices. We see it all the time. Took me 3 months to even make my list after hanging out here and a few other forums.

Learn before you spend all your pennies. You buy now your looking for a really really bad experiance.

Back