• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

*My* Flow Comparison between a Thermochill 120.3 and Caprice Heatercore

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looking good Marci. Exchange rates aside those thermochill rads are still dam expencive for no gain!

and welcome to the forums (much better than yours hehe only j/k)

Cerberus2k7 said:
Damn, that's really clean. I think I might do that to my PlusView1000AMG when I get everything. Add 3 120mm blue LED fans. :D

I doubt you'll be able to fit a psu and a Thermochill 120.3 in there...

Honestly, unless your case has a gap above the PSU for fans or another PSU, there's no chance of the 120.3 fitting. The whole thing is extremely long, so I'd suggest measuring it completely 4 or 5 times before even thinking about buying it. Also, remember to measure the height of the whole assembly, including fans. Chances are, one or two drive bays may be unuseable after installing the radiator.

Only a few dollars away from being able to buy a 120.3!
But then comes the pump =/

-Fyber

You must be talking about my MK4. The waterblock is fine, but that picture does make it look like it is cracked. The thin line near the barb is teflon tape, and the stuff to the right is trapped air. It is an old picture that was taken while filling the system.

A more recent picture is below. As you can see, that piece of teflon tape is still hanging there :). The crappy tubing in the bottom picture has been swapped out for clearflex tubing. No kinks now.

mk4-2.jpg

06.jpg

Cyberwiz01 said:
So any numbers as far as the temps with the Thermochill vs. the Caprice? I'm curious too.

I am also curious.

Looking at replacing my radiator with a bigger one and that thermochill is looking very nice. Just very $$$ as I am in VA USA =(

thanks everone for the info in here now i know what kind of rad to buy. all i need to find id a good pump. building my own water block have all the parts for it now.

Two questions: First, how accurate is any of your measuring? "Within 1/2" of the top" Doesn't sound too good... Second, what does airflow matter? (Not sure who posted that comment.) Overall cooling would be more quantifiable, and more useful. I appreciate tests, but with results that close, and accuracy at what it is, I'm not sure if it's any good. I don't mean to be critical. I've just had a bad week, so I'm taking it out on innocent people over the Internet.

Edit: Just remembered this. I've heard of restrictions being put in heater cores intentionally by the manufacturers to cut down on heat dissipation, or some other reason. I have no real clue on this point. I've only heard of one case, but I'd imagine that most people don't check.

Last edited:
AngryAlpaca said:
First, how accurate is any of your measuring? "Within 1/2" of the top" Doesn't sound too good... Second, what does airflow matter? (Not sure who posted that comment.) Overall cooling would be more quantifiable, and more useful. I appreciate tests, but with results that close, and accuracy at what it is, I'm not sure if it's any good. I don't mean to be critical. I've just had a bad week, so I'm taking it out on innocent people over the Internet.

Did you read the second sentence in the starter post? I guess not. This wasn't meant to be a perfect test, just a test to show flow rates between the HC and the TCR.

This test has nothing to do directly with "overall cooling", so why bring it up. It is a known fact that increased flow rates "generally" equal better temps. FLOW RATE was the ONLY item being tested. Please take your bad week somewhere else.

Clearly you missed what I said. An inaccurate test of flow rate with results that close is irrelevant! The overall cooling comment was directed at someone else who commented about how much airflow got through each.

I dont know why you guys are being so critical on each other's work.

For one, take out a milk container. The top 1/2" is the neck of the bottle. The time it would take to fill that up is negligable. Of course, filling a 1L beaker to the top with water and having precise measurements would be nice, but a simple 1L laboratory beaker is far too expensive for a simple flow test. The test was designed to show the difference in flow restriction between the radiators, nothing more, nothing less. Of course there's going to be a bit of experimental error, as with everything, but he ran 3 trials with each to minimize that. When you think about it, the 120.3 shouldn't have that much flow restriction. The 120.3 has a bunch of long, straight tubes, and probably as many curves as the Caprice heatercore does. Too bad it's so expensive though...

Back