• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My intro to Water Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheBastard

Registered
Well, I started build computers a number of years ago (built somewhere around 7) and recently got into overclocking. My current computer is overclocked on air cooling and I'm decently satisfied. I decided to get into water cooling as the next step in my customization knowledgebase. I also decided that it would be a nice time to get into building and selling computers for a hobby (no real profit, just hobby).

I decided to hold off on the super hardcore rig and build something mid-high end instead. It'll consist of a core i7 930 and a single radeon 5850 (you can guess at the other parts). The water cooling will be a bit over-the-top for this rig, but I would rather keep it from being too pricey in case I find that there is NO market for this to be sold (given the number of companies that can sell are stupid low prices, lol).

I was impressed with the swiftech Apogee XT, so I decided to stick with their products. Heres what I'll be looking at:

Swiftech MCR320 Triple 120 mm - Radiator
Swiftech MCRES-MICRO - Reservoir
Swiftech APOGEE XT - CPU Block
Swiftech ATI5850 - Video Card Spreader
Swiftech MCW60 - GPU Block
Swiftech MCP655 - Pump

I'm going with some basic 1/2" tubing for now and I'll buy some new "fancier" stuff when I put it into the case (will be playing around with it outside of the case to learn the ins and outs). Also picked up some extra barbs, but I think everything came with 1/2". If not, I should be covered.

I'll use distilled water with PT nuke for my testing and for my final build. I'll also pick up some worm gear clamps for the... clamping. The only thing I need to figure out is bleeding the system and filling the reservoir from a customers standpoint, but I'll tackle that down the road.

Anyone have any advice (other than me wasting money not being able to sell it for same as bought)? Or maybe a suggestion?

Oh and thanks for the content on this site. I doubt I would have tackled this project without the guides and information I found here. Also, a side question, does anyone know of a link to skinnee labs that discusses silcone caulk mod for water blocks?

Very solid basic setup. Depending on the chip your planning to run your okay on the rad, not great temps. Enuff for a user that won't overclock but wants to game. Might look at GPUs that can run DX11, a selling point.

No, no link I kow of about the caulking mod. Did read about it tho. But was discussion a few months ago at xtreme systems. Have to search for it. If you can't find it you'll need to join and ask... gently. It's probably 20-30 pages back by now. And it was ONE block, not all of them.

Problems joining after a week of waiting, PM me.

The silicone caulk mod is (briefly) described in Skinnee's review of the Heatkiller 3.0 here. Definitely for the advanced watercooler - i.e. way above my paygrade :).

I saw the caulk mod posted in the XT review and it referenced the heatkiller review.

Guess I'll just let it slide this time around unless I can make more sense of it once I get the block in.

Back