• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My liquid cooled pc just failed!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shangxiajiu

My liquid cooled PC just failed!

The water pump just went out, it stopped that’s all. I was reading and this PC just shut off, First thought was the electric power went down, but right next to me is my other PC and it is still on. (WOW)

This is just ( FYI) for liquid PC is all.

I felt the water block on the chip and it was hot, so I waited and rebooted it and got a F1 error message; I felt the water pump and it felt pretty hot also, but I rebooted anyway just to see what’s up.

Got F1 error fan not working: this same location for a fan is where the water pump is hooked to the mobo.

I pulled the whole mobo out to get the water cooling mounting gear off and mounted a big aluminum heat sink, snapped on a fan and tunnel ram, booted up and now I gotta noisy extra fan in my PC.

I guess the point is about what happens to a liquid cooled PC when failure accures.

In this case overheat and bios temp setting auto shut down.

Water pump brand is Corsair and is only 13 months old.

I have also Corsair memory and a Corsair Power supply without any issue there, so don’t negatively judge Corsair.

Anyone else have this happen?

This is my first liquid rig, but I would think that the water pump should last longer than 13 months!

I am about to open the pump to see if anything can be fixed or if it is just disposable.

Thanks for reading

Welcome!

sorry to hear, always sucks when stuff like that happens, at least yours survived.

thankfully i've never had any parts fail on me accept a barb. it broke and the tubing flew at the wall and spilt most of the water all over my desk. my pump was the lowest point in the loop so it still had water in it. this happened overnight so i got lucky my pump didn't die.

and 13 months is premature, is there any warranty?

also this should be posted in the water cooling subforum. ask a mod to move.

yeah I do consider myself lucky.
I am checking about getting warrenty now
I thought I was in the cooling section sorry

I had bought 4 Corsair branded Laing D4 pumps last year and had one start making some horrible noises after 7-8 months; luckily I was in the computer room when it started screwing up. I swapped it out with another D4 and no problems since. Does your Corsair pump look like a Swiftech MCP655? If so, that is a Corsair branded Laing D4 and you can replace it with the one I linked you to.

thanks for the replys

it does not look like that one.

it is a cwch50-1, 1 month ago it was visable anywere on the net but now seems mia.

I think I will take my time since it is now cold winter, and start building my 2 video card water blocks, and buy a stronger pump.

the H-50?
if thats the case, then i think you will need to buy all new components, if you wish to use a stronger pump, as i dont think it is compatable with other wcing equiptment

bit of a theory here, was the fan connector that your pump was using being throttled in any way? it may have cut down on the pumps water movement to a point where nothing was being cooled, and the heat from your processor got to be too much. I hope this isn't the case for your sake, but it's a possibility.

:welcome:

Sorry to hear that your WC died. It's not uncommomn at all when the WC kit is a, and I know you don't want to hear it, a bottom of the shelf WC setup. We really don't consider it a WC rig. But we are here to help, even after my terrible beatdown.

Your best bet is to re-evaluate watercooling and look at quality parts to start with. I'm hoping at a minimum you get a full replacement set and get back and running. At least you didn't have a leak and ruin something. Consider yourself lucky!

You can start here to learn about real watercooling.
Once you read and link and fav to all of the important sites and read for a while, or a week we'll be happy to get you right.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253958-29-watercooling-guide

the H-50?
if thats the case, then i think you will need to buy all new components, if you wish to use a stronger pump, as i dont think it is compatable with other wcing equiptment

Yep, the H50. First fail I have seen. He;s been running it for a long time so dunno if a bios problem for pump speed.

I gotta let Yellowbeard know, lets see how good their customer response is. If it's 50% as good as Gabe from Swiftech, it's pertty good.

This is the first pump death I have seen also. But, I don't see the same stuff our Tech Support guys do daily. We'll replace the H50 ASAP.

RMA LINK

When you get a case number, send me a PM with either the case and/or RMA number. I'm going to check and see if the product manager wants to pull your unit in for failure analysis.

Sorry you had a problem and thanks for bringing this thread to my attention.

Wow thanks for all the help and information

First: I did not buy at regular retail outlet, as we know unless you buy at the retail store warrenty usualy become non-existant.
thank you for the rma link but i think that it will prove frutless to pursue it.

As far as this unit being a kit yes it is:
however the radiator is in appearence to be of same materal as any radiator build, i consider the radiator to be 100% acceptable; if it is to remain internaly mounted their is no room for anything larger.
The (kit) brackets are good also, their is nothing wrong with them, they are not broken and in appearence seem 100% acceptable.
The cpu water block is tripl crome nickle plated, and is probably copper or brass, it has a (welded not threaded) inlet outlet barb/tube, the mounting area for the water block to the mother board is also welded, simple and I consider the cpu water block 100% acceptable.
The tubing clamps are factory installed and not adjustable, the spring over tubing thou not aseticly pleasing is wonderfull and indistructable for the typical kit buying crowd.

The last component (the coolant Pump) I have purchased coolant pumps for, boats motocycles, and auto's.
I is certain that the pump is the fault and nothing else.
the quality of the pump looks adiquite for the application.
further inspection of the pump
will be prformed soon

Last edited:
Wow thanks for all the help and information

First: I did not buy at regular retail outlet, as we know unless you buy at the retail store warrenty usualy become non-existant.
thank you for the rma link but i think that it will prove frutless to pursue it.

Give it a shot. I'll help out unless the unit has been modified.

Allrity then 'llI give it a shot!

I filled out the RMA info, I suppose they will let me know within 48 hours or so huh?

Yes, the first reply you get is an automated one with your case and RMA number. Send me either or both of these numbers and I'll see what I can do.

There are a decent number of H50 users around here, none of them have reported pump failures either. Looks like you got unlucky :(
On the plus side, Corsair generally has excellent RMA stuff.

Also on the plus side, a pump failure is by far the best option for a water cooling disaster, it didn't leak and blow the whole thing sky high, after all!

There are a decent number of H50 users around here, none of them have reported pump failures either. Looks like you got unlucky :(
On the plus side, Corsair generally has excellent RMA stuff.

Also on the plus side, a pump failure is by far the best option for a water cooling disaster, it didn't leak and blow the whole thing sky high, after all!

I totaly agree on all counts.
Corsair has top notch power supply, I forgot whole their manufacture is but I bought a corsair 750 I did alot of dull dry reading and decided that corsair and 1 other was the definitive best by means of component selection and assembly policy, & QC,.

I am not at all angry with corsair even if they do not honner a pump replacement. I like their quality and I like their dull dry reading of complete specifications, schematic avalibility and part numbersis very rare these days.

Glad I got Yellowbeard on this. He's a good guy and wants to protect the great history of Corsair taking care of their customers. Please keep us updated. I'll bookmark this and keep it for future use if needed.

I have used their PSUs, the good HX series is good stuff!

I just had the same thing happen to me last night, although i have an H55.. And its only 2 months old....

Pumps dying on Corsair H-series products doesn't seem to be uncommon at all.

This thread is from two years ago, since then we've found out that the all-in-one water cooling kits are not very reliable.

Back