• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Proposed First W/C Setup - Let me know what you think

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lejend

Alright, I've done some research and some shopping and I have a list of thing I want to buy. As the title says, this would be my first W/C rig, so any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. I suppose I should mention that this is for the computer listed in my sig below.

Case: CoolerMaster Stacker

I need something big enough, and I like this one better than the Armor.

Water Block: Swiftech Storm Extreme - Rev 2

I like the upgrade potential with this one. It seems to have gotten good reviews and I've been a fan of Swiftech's air cooling for awhile.

Pump: Swiftech MCP655 12 VDC Pump

Same reasons for this as for the water block.

Radiator: Black Ice XtremeII
It's the right size (2x120mm) and seems to be a good radiator. Plus, it seems hard to justify that almost twice as much ThermoChill PA120.2.

Also, Danger Den sells a CM Stacker Bottom Case Shroud which seems to be perfect for mounting. However, I haven't been able to find anything specfic about it. Are there any Stacker owners out there who have purchased this thing?

Reservoir: Typhoon Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir

Since the Stacker is so big, this seemed like it would be right at home. I'd like to go with a reservoir, and this one seems perfect. It fits in 2, 5-1/4" Bays.

As far as tubing and clamps, I saw some PrimoFlex 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD PVC Tubing over at FrozenCPU.com that looked decent. I figured I'd just buy some metal clamps over at a hardware store.

As far as the actual water goes, I figured I'd use an ~75/25 water to antifreeze ratio. I'm still up in the air as to which additives to add, so any suggestions would be appreciated here as well. Also, is the Fluid XP+ stuff worth the money?

Finally, I'm also picking up another tube of AS5. Ahh AS5, where would we be without you.

Like I've said, any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Lejend

(edit: Grammer)

It sounds pretty nice man, I would definately use metal clamps. I did, and I got about 12 from home depot for a decent price and was well worth it. No leaks as of yet, and its been running for a month solid. :temper:

Lejend said:
Alright, I've done some research and some shopping and I have a list of thing I want to buy. As the title says, this would be my first W/C rig, so any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. I suppose I should mention that this is for the computer listed in my sig below.

Case: CoolerMaster Stacker

I need something big enough, and I like this one better than the Armor.
Presumably you mean the original STC-T01 Stacker. If so, good choice.
Water Block: Swiftech Storm Extreme - Rev 2
Again, good choice.
I like the upgrade potential with this one. It seems to have gotten good reviews and I've been a fan of Swiftech's air cooling for awhile.

Pump: Swiftech MCP655 12 VDC Pump

Same reasons for this as for the water block.
You might want to consider the MCP350(18w) instead.
The 655's tend to have an annoying whine not present in the smaller 350 and modified with an Alphacool/Radiical top, the little pump can easily provide the flow you'll need, even if you add the GPU to the loop later.

Radiator: Black Ice XtremeII
It's the right size (2x120mm) and seems to be a good radiator. Plus, it seems hard to justify that almost twice as much ThermoChill PA120.2.
Consider the CoolingWorks rad instead...the low fin density means it works well with lower CFM fans (quieter) and mine performs on par with the Thermochill PA in my other box.

Also, Danger Den sells a CM Stacker Bottom Case Shroud which seems to be perfect for mounting. However, I haven't been able to find anything specfic about it. Are there any Stacker owners out there who have purchased this thing?

Reservoir: Typhoon Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir

Since the Stacker is so big, this seemed like it would be right at home. I'd like to go with a reservoir, and this one seems perfect. It fits in 2, 5-1/4" Bays.
I'm not a fan of bay rez's...maybe the Swiftech Micro-res instead?
As far as tubing and clamps, I saw some PrimoFlex 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD PVC Tubing over at FrozenCPU.com that looked decent. I figured I'd just buy some metal clamps over at a hardware store.

As far as the actual water goes, I figured I'd use an ~75/25 water to antifreeze ratio.
Too much additive.
95/5 will protect you and give better performance

I'm still up in the air as to which additives to add, so any suggestions would be appreciated here as well. Also, is the Fluid XP+ stuff worth the money?
I don't think so.
Finally, I'm also picking up another tube of AS5. Ahh AS5, where would we be without you.

Like I've said, any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Lejend

(edit: Grammer)
Good luck.

I personally like my 655, and it has no annoying whine. Just a very light hum.

Also, you might consider some 7/16 tubing for some extra leak insurance.

Back