• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My TV stand and other case, + nightmere DELL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M33Cat

My main rig is in a TV stand on wheels, which is useful, although I need to put in a cross beam or 2 to make it more sturdy, since the wheels don't turn or move the easiest and the frame shears. It's open on 2 sides, so I put a cardboard door on my side, with some air holes and hole for DVD burner and power switch.

The MB is screwed onto a 'back plate' thing I removed from another proper case. And it raised on a plank to allow for easier cabling. So all parts are pretty spread out and air flow is great and all temps are excellent. I have a fan on my soundcard's heatsink which no doubt needs it , and the stock i5 fan is sitting on the HDD just for something to do.

I have an older stripped down case that I spray painted, it's awaiting a celeron G540 SB basic build. It has no panels so at least it will be cool, might throw cardboard on the main side.

I have a DELL case, it could withstand a bomb I think. It was a load of plastic covering the inner heavy gauge, full metal case. The whole case opens by 2 hinges. I ripped the stupid plastic of it ages ago.

Inside it had a custom built socket 755 MB by foxcon, all the holes where custom so it won't fit in a regular ATX/mATX/BTX chassis without drilling it. Plus the fan mount backplate was actually part of a MB sized plate. So once I took off the fan bracket, I could remove the MB. And then I had to angle grind the 'back plate' part out of that big MB sized sheet of steel.

The broken powersupply's layout on the rear was all different, so to fit a regular PSU I had to do some serious cutting, took FOREVER with a dremel, the steel is thick, I can't guess the gauge but for sure 3-4x thicker than a typical generic case.

The only really good thing about the whole thing I've now dismantled for parts...is the CPU heatsink, it's like a smaller CM 212 style. But does it's mounting bracket have standard 775 holes??? And the fan does not clip onto it. The heavy duty and LOUD fan clipped onto the back of the case, and had a plastic shroud clipped to it the swings down over the heatsink. The fan would be great if it was adjustable, it's way too loud for my liking other wise, not sure what I'll do with it.

:pics:

also it could very well be that the dell case has the messed up holes not the board

probably one of those bass ackwards Batx? or something cases.

I don't have any cameras

No the MB had custom holes drilled in it, Dell doesn't want there stuff used by anyone else.

Back