• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My wifi

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kinta

Registered
alright. My means of connection to the internet is via wifi connection on a laptop that's roughly 4 or 5 years old. A while back (maybe 3 months ago or more) I noticed that my ping or latency in the online fps I play had increased from its average 67-73 to a relatively large 105-150 (the lower the latency, the better). Now, I know these numbers probably mean almost nothing to you but let me explain how the amount of ping players have goes for this game: First off, the server for this game is around the lower right corner of canada and I live in Virginia in the U.S. so i'm sorta close. Second, as soon as someone's ping gets to be around 150 they start to be noticeably laggy (slightly skipping around, tanking shots, the works).

That having been explained, I hope you understand that my increase in ping is a pretty large jump. Now let me say this. Last weekend I went over to a friends house for a very small lan party (everyone mentioned at this party including the host uses the same internet provider, Shentel). I'm saying this because, while we were all in game, everyone else there was running a normal ping of 70-ish as is usually had by people on this game in my area, but I was clearly running my unusual increased ping.

With all of that said, I have one general question followed by a few specific questions of the same kind; What could have caused my individual increase in ping? (If it was just my internet connection wouldn't my connection to the game have been better at my friend's house where everyone elses' connection seemed fine?) Is it possible for a laptop's wifi capabilities to decrease with age and if so why did mine decrease suddenly? (I run windows 7 and its driver updater thing says that all of my drivers regarding internet connection and my wireless card are up to date.)

For anyone who takes the time to help one in need and read all of this, I thank you very much as I know it's a decent amount to just sit and read. If you have any further questions to ask me that could better your knowledge on the situation or that you need the answer to to solve this problem, please don't hesitate to ask, and again, thanks.

The config of your drivers, wireless card, or any gui in between that may throttle performance for whatever reason, may be messed up. Have you checked to see if there is a bios or diagnostic utility for any of your wireless hardware/software?

Your wireless card may be lacking because if it is 4-5 years old it could be a 802.11A standard which has less throughput capability than 802.11B/G do. It could also just be time to replace the card. Technology, because it becomes obsolete so easily, may have lower quality components depending on the quality that you chose when you purchased. For instance: some TV's nowadays have capacitors in them that have a 1,000 hour lifespan and capacitors in them that have a 10,000 hour lifespan. Those TV's could also be exactly the same price even though the price between the two capacitors may be 10-20 bucks. Just some food for thought

Let me know if this helps.
Brian

thank you soooo much. there's alot here that's new to me so I'm going to have to look up a bunch of things ^_^;; but after I check into all of these I'll be sure to get back here and say i it helped or not.

Back