• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NASCAR 2002 server...racing this Fri. Night?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr B

Senior Admin Emeritus
Hey guys...

I posted a thread about this a while back, and there was some interest in it. I wasn't certain which version (N2002 or 2003) I was going to get, but as the subject line of this thread would suggest, I went for the N2002.

I've set up a bit of a simple beta server, on one of my, "lesser" machines... For some reason, it didn't want to play nice on the duallie, so I put it on a rig that specs out as follows;

XP1700+ "A" at 1800MHz
512MB PC2100
10 GB ATA 66 5400RPM HDD

I know the hard drive is weak for this use, but it's all I've got to work with ATM...

I've played around with it a bit the last couple of nights, just running very basic stuff. I've got it set to run a default car set up, force the "cockpit" view while driving, 10 (human) players max, with a field of 33 cars total. The AI is set to 80%.

I'd like to test this out a bit...run a race perhaps Friday night this week. 9 or 10PM EST. Where I'm running the "fixed" car set up (everyone's car is identical), there's not really a need for the "practice" sessions. I can set those to 5 or 10 minutes, instead of the default 20.

Anyone up for a 32 to 50(ish) lap race at Daytona International Speedway on Friday night??

LMK if you have a custom car you'd like to run too....so we can get the file necessary on the server.

I'll be running the #3 Earnhardt Tribute car.... ;)

Post here if you up for it on Friday night.

Cheers!

Brian

i might not be able to make it but if i can i'll definatly be there. rusty wallace is my driver.

i agree with the 5-10 minute practice, with a fixed setup there's really no need for a longer practice time. i also like the fixed setup idea, hopefully we'll see some good racing.

BOOGITY BOOGITY BOOGITY!!!! (DW rocks :D)

btw, i'll post thursday night if i won't be able to make it.

Beast Of Blight said:
If I owned the game I'd certainly be there.

The big brown trucks little brown car ^_^

the reason Mr B choose 2002 is because it's $20 at virtually every store that sells PC games, i personally belive it's one of the best nascar games on the market.

john240sx said:

the reason Mr B choose 2002 is because it's $20 at virtually every store that sells PC games, i personally belive it's one of the best nascar games on the market.

Yeah...LOL.. $19.95 was a bit hard to pass up... ;) :D

Well, I only had 20 bucks this week, and I had to buy a new remote for my TV [if anyone remembers my flaming rant about RCA's Systemlink4 in the Gripes and Moans a few months back ]

And I had to buy some Chinese Algae Eaters for my fish tank so it'll stay purdy. :D

BUMPAGE.

Hmmm.... I had a lot more responses to the other thread, inquiring about which version to get. I know there's a half dozen or so that were interested back then (what, two months ago?!?)...

Not enough notice for setting this up?? If I need to change the time/date to make it more convienant for everyone, just reply with your thoughts on a better time.

Sat night? Sun day/night? Most peeps usually don't race Sunday day, so they can watch the real race on TV....;)

BOB...good that you got a new remote...hope this one works better for ya (I do remember that thread...LOL).

Mr. B. I will be there. I just have to reinstall it. I will have to find my southpark car but count me in. (I run mostly N4). Damn, I got one day to pratice on 2002. BTW, it's too late now, but you can find 2002 easily for about $10 on ebay. Try to find a seller that lives near you so you can pick it up.

NiTrO bOiE said:
Mr. B. I will be there. I just have to reinstall it. I will have to find my southpark car but count me in.

Good deal...glad you can make it. :) One of the reasons I thought Daytona would be a good track to run, is it's WOT (wide open throttle) all the way around....literally just "go fast, turn left"..LOL I've also set the server up for 0% damage if you spin out and hit something/get hit, so if there's a "Big One" as the super-speedways are known for, you might lose some positions, but can still drive. Just a nice easy drive, to get the feel for how the server will work...

Just work on holding that low line, so you can pass people... :D

YGPM on the South Park car....

Thanks Mr.B. Its a Phillips Magnevox [ however its spelled ] remote, it works like a wet dream :drool:

I won't make this fridays race, but if you plan on holding more in the future I will definately buy the game. I'll only buy the game if you WILL be holding more games in the future, tho :D ;)

Hey Mr. B, I sent you my car. Also do you have 2003? The track pack is awesome and so are the graphics. But it's a KILLER on systems. Will probably cut the field down to half the size if you decide to host it later on. Oh yeah, if there are any more spots open, I will try to get some of the guys and girl (yes girl) to run with us, unless you just want it to be overclockers only.

Ok, this actually sounds like fun. I'll dig out Nascar 2002, install it and get my wheel back from my brother.

A few considerations...

I think we should do a different track. While Daytona is nice, with the game set to 80% AI, it's hard to do anything. You'll be faster than the AI cars, it's hard to pass like that, and if we up the AI level we'll never keep up.

We should do a short track or a 1.5 mile track or something different like Pocono or Sonoma or The Glen.

Keep the setups at default and the same for everyone. That will keep it easy to play and those who have played the game for a while won't have an advantadge other then their skill.

30-40 laps isn't that long of a race. Only about 10 minutes. If all you want to do is test, then this is great, but I'm all for a full length 500 mile race, or we can do the Charlotte race at 600 miles, but let's put out prior notice so I can hook up my catheter and Mt. Dew IV drip.

Let me know when you want to do it for sure and I will be there one way or another.

And I got dibs on the 20 car.

This could take off actually. I love playing this game. And having our own outlet online would be great because there are too many cheaters in this game online. We could do our own season with points and everything. That would be a hoot.

And to reiterate, I have dibs on the 20 car.

Last edited:
Darnit I knew I shouldda bought 2002 instead of '03 :mad:. I work Friday but may be available Sat. If I can find 2002 to purchase by then. Actually I havn't been able to play 2003 all that much so i am very bad at it.

Beast Of Blight said:
I won't make this fridays race, but if you plan on holding more in the future I will definately buy the game. I'll only buy the game if you WILL be holding more games in the future, tho :D ;)

What I'm hoping for, is enough interest and support to form a (semi?) official racing league, based out of the [OCG] Teams site. (see the stickys for more info on [OCG], and what it means to you and me as gamers).

So, the end result, hopefully, is an [OCG] Racing League. Living alongside our UT2003, BF1942, CS, et al brethern. That's what I'm shooting for. That should be an indication of my intent to hold races in future.

Once this is up and running, and we've gotten a bit of steam going, starting next February, I want to run the full Winston Cup schedule, corresponding with the real life NASCAR boys...

So, say the Daytona 500 is run Sunday Feb 14th (or whatever Sun. it falls on in '04), I'd want to run our race the evening before ("Sat. night, Feb. 13th"). Follow where I'm going?? Good. An upgrade to N2003 will have to occur before that happens, as they've added a couple tracks I don't think are included w/ N2002...but that's way off next year, and N2003 will be $20 by then.

NiTrO bOiE said:
Hey Mr. B, I sent you my car. Also do you have 2003? The track pack is awesome and so are the graphics. But it's a KILLER on systems. Will probably cut the field down to half the size if you decide to host it later on. Oh yeah, if there are any more spots open, I will try to get some of the guys and girl (yes girl) to run with us, unless you just want it to be overclockers only.

Let me know as soon as you can how many....I've got it set up for 10 players max...if I have to raise that, I can. Another reason for my deciding on N2002 is just that. Slightly lower system requirements.

Girl?? Hell....if Shawna Robinson can run in the real deal Winston Cup, there's no reason at all in my eyes why a woman cannot run on my server.... ;)

Kingslayer said:
Ok, this actually sounds like fun. I'll dig out Nascar 2002, install it and get my wheel back from my brother.

A few considerations...

I think we should do a different track. While Daytona is nice, with the game set to 80% AI, it's hard to do anything. You'll be faster than the AI cars, it's hard to pass like that, and if we up the AI level we'll never keep up.

We should do a short track or a 1.5 mile track or something different like Pocono or Sonoma or The Glen.

Keep the setups at default and the same for everyone. That will keep it easy to play and those who have played the game for a while won't have an advantadge other then their skill.

30-40 laps isn't that long of a race. Only about 10 minutes. If all you want to do is test, then this is great, but I'm all for a full length 500 mile race, or we can do the Charlotte race at 600 miles, but let's put out prior notice so I can hook up my catheter and Mt. Dew IV drip.

Let me know when you want to do it for sure and I will be there one way or another.

And I got dibs on the 20 car.

This could take off actually. I love playing this game. And having our own outlet online would be great because there are too many cheaters in this game online. We could do our own season with points and everything. That would be a hoot.

And to reiterate, I have dibs on the 20 car.

Actually, at 80%, I find it too easy to pass the AI cars. But until we get a handle on different people's abilities, let's keep it simple. At 80%, it's very easy to draft thru 1 and 2, and then drop down low down the back straight, and pick up a spot or three on the inside. I ran a 20 lapper at Daytona last night, and using this technique, went from 43rd (didn't bother qualifying, took the "provisional"...lol) to 1st in 15 laps...at 97% AI. And 97% runs a lot faster and is much harder to pass than 80%.

Pocono, Michigan, Texas....all good tracks. Definitely where to "go to" next, but to just get a gauge on the server and people's abilities, I thought a track like Daytona (or Talladega), where you don't have to worry about braking for the turns at all might be a good place to start. Very simple...hit the gas and go. But I absolutely agree that we should, once we know how well people can run, move to those tracks, which are a bit tougher.

32 laps at Daytona will run roughly 25 to 27 minutes (barring caution flags). Lap times usually run in the high 49 second range. I also seem to recall reading in the manual (I need to check this, but....) there's a cap on MP "laps" of 50% of the full race. I need to recheck that, but I seem to recall reading it.

Charlotte for 600 miles would rock....but I need to work on my pit lane speeds... :rolleyes: I tend to come in too fast, and then slow down too much.

Taking off, our own season with points...yes that would be a "hoot", and as I mentioned above, is the ultimate goal of this...

Kingslayer said:
You guys caught that right....

I have dibs on the 20 car!

Ok...I think I got the point...LOL =)

Fightingpiper said:
Darnit I knew I shouldda bought 2002 instead of '03 :mad:. I work Friday but may be available Sat. If I can find 2002 to purchase by then. Actually I havn't been able to play 2003 all that much so i am very bad at it.

Practice up on N2003....we'll be heading there eventually, so it's purchase wasn't a "waste". If you can score N2002 cheap enough, we'd love to have you along ASAP. ;)

B.

Mr B said:

Hell....if Shawna Robinson can run in the real deal Winston Cup, there's no reason at all in my eyes why a woman cannot run on my server.... ;)

I HATE SHAWNA ROBINSON!!

Every race pool I've been in I've always drawn her and lost! 543TRJEWGKFHDSBDVCSFBDSHGJWTH^$#@!&$#!&%$@^%$#%$#!!!!

What is this game like playing on a keyboard/mouse??? I don't have the game but if enough people are interested in it I might drop 20 bucks on it.

playing any racing game with a keyboard is very difficult, racing on a high speed oval makes it that much more difficult. i'm going to use a playstation controller for now as my steering wheel doesn't work with my desk with the way i have it setup right now. imo you at least need analog steering, if the pits are not automatically speed controlled then without analog gas/brake you'll either be very slow or you'll get black flagged alot.

Back